| FTBL RPO/Spread QB read: Here's your question, "Give or Pull?

TerryP

Staff
From a thread I ran across on Twitter. You know the question.

EK-cgpeWkAIUYRT

I see no receivers open or close to being open. I don’t know the down and distance. I don’t know where the play started from (is #78 close to being downfield?). The DE that’s not being blocked, is he moving towards the RB?

Too many questions to give you a direct answer.

From a thread I ran across on Twitter. You know the question.

EK-cgpeWkAIUYRT
Id say take. Tackles working up to the second level to take on Warner, TE appears to be doing the same, but I'm not exactly sure by just the picture if that's what he's doing, or if he's going out for a designed route. If he's working up to take on the Safety, then most certainly he should take it. That's a good amount of space for Jackson, and he has the ability to make them miss, or split between the defenders and take it to the house, or for a big gain. There's almost nowhere for the RB to go either, that entire side is played extremely well, linebacker fit the A gap correctly, D-lineman is filling the B gap, he could try to bounce it outside, but the DB would probably come downhill and fit that spot up as well. So, Jackson should keep it, he's got the best chance to make something out of it.

Id say take. Tackles working up to the second level to take on Warner, TE appears to be doing the same, but I'm not exactly sure by just the picture if that's what he's doing, or if he's going out for a designed route. If he's working up to take on the Safety, then most certainly he should take it. That's a good amount of space for Jackson, and he has the ability to make them miss, or split between the defenders and take it to the house, or for a big gain. There's almost nowhere for the RB to go either, that entire side is played extremely well, linebacker fit the A gap correctly, D-lineman is filling the B gap, he could try to bounce it outside, but the DB would probably come downhill and fit that spot up as well. So, Jackson should keep it, he's got the best chance to make something out of it.
I'm with you on this. I also noticed the LB hanging back, so I'm with you.

If it's 3rd and 1, give to King Gump. Anything else, let Lamar do Lamar things with it.
Agreed, would like to know what the situation was at that play. It changes things if it were 3rd&1. Looking at the picture, the defense would still have a good chance of holding them short, they played it almost perfectly by how they fit their gaps. It be a "nut up" play.

Pull and allow DT to collapse on King Gump and cut up inside behind 78 and 86. 78 looking to ILB and looks like 86 has the safety down on the hash. Back in the day, under center, we were taught to read the DTs head and shoulders. If he is square shoulders, pull it. Turned shoulders could be either or. King Gump going to get 4-5 on the give. A pull result in the same. DT crashes, immediate pull.

The “read” game is so hard to teach and just as hard to defend. Throw in the “pitch man” and it was something that had to be practiced for hours on end. When I was coming along in school, our HS ran the bone and ran it well. We went to split back veer later on and it was tough. Inside veer- reading the hat of the nearest DL to give or keep and then reading the DE/OLB to either keep or pitch. Outside veer was 2 giant steps to get out to the OTs hip and read DE to give or keep and then eyes on safety crashing to keep or pitch. We dealt with so many turnovers. When it is clicking, man is it fun to watch!

The DE that’s not being blocked, is he moving towards the RB?
Really need to see it in motion to get your proper reads, 1st steps of the “read” player is a key read
Not really, but that's the point of the post. We talk about a QB's ability to see the field and I thought this might be fun to look at.

Here's my point, and let's use the DE that Old Players looked at. His left foot in planted, weight shifting, he's moving back to the middle. The linebacker behind him is almost frozen, and the player to his left is sold on #78.

When I saw the picture I went back and forth and ultimately went with "pull." Why?
let Lamar do Lamar things with it.

Back
Top Bottom