| PRO Reuben Foster Kneeling During National Anthem

jlabit

I served my nation for 30 years in the military to preserve our rights as citizens of the United States. I am greatly disappointed to see that Reuben Foster has disrespected our Flag and our National Anthem at an NFL game yesterday. He has lost the respect I had for him.

Trump responds after NFL players continue anthem protest

In San Francisco, about a half-dozen 49ers kneeled led by Eric Reid, Marquise Goodwin, rookie linebacker Reuben Foster, Eli Harold, Adrian Colbert and K'waun Williams. All the Dallas Cowboys stood, but defensive tackle David Irving raised his fist after the anthem ended.

3 black males and a black female sitting in front of me at the game Saturday did not stand for the anthem, did not applaud the military service member introduced prior to the anthem and did not applaud the pilots from the fly over when introduced. Their right. Kind of defeats the “just because we don’t stand doesn’t mean we don’t support the military” argument though.

3 black males and a black female sitting in front of me at the game Saturday did not stand for the anthem, did not applaud the military service member introduced prior to the anthem and did not applaud the pilots from the fly over when introduced. Their right. Kind of defeats the “just because we don’t stand doesn’t mean we don’t support the military” argument though.

Last game I was at I counted around a dozen people, white and black, that were too busy on their phones to do anything, let alone salute a flag... Wonder why you guys dont whine about that?

Just imagine if our biggest concern in this world was actually whether or not someone stands for the damn anthem... or even more, if you guys gave as much thought, worry and passion over ACTUAL problems in our country. Just imagine what we could do...

Last game I was at I counted around a dozen people, white and black, that were too busy on their phones to do anything, let alone salute a flag... Wonder why you guys dont whine about that?

Just imagine if our biggest concern in this world was actually whether or not someone stands for the damn anthem... or even more, if you guys gave as much thought, worry and passion over ACTUAL problems in our country. Just imagine what we could do...

And if IFs and BUTS were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas!!

To be honest, it pisses me off when someone is talking or farting around on their phone during the anthem. Shit!! Just show some common courtesy to the man or woman beside you.

I heard something from a gentleman a couple of weeks ago at a HS game that really struck a cord with me. The gentleman was black and as the announcer asked for everyone to rise for the National Anthem, he rose and took his cap off and said, "I may not agree with what all is taking place in our country today, but when I took the oath as a Marine, I will honor that flag and what she stands for!"

i will support and defend anyone's right to do something that is protected under The Constitution. brave men and women fought and died for those rights. and they (those rights) are nothing without the willingness to support and defend them, even if they go against your or my beliefs. i respect ANYONE who chose to serve this country to defend it, its citizens, and the rights given to us by the founding fathers when they wrote The Constitution. one of my only regrets in life is not serving when i had the chance. but to defend and support a right is to defend and support it even when the very thing it was meant to protect pisses you off to no end and makes you want to do unspeakable things to that person.

i love this country....always have always will. now, sometimes the politicians have made it damn difficult. but i just remind myself that it's the people that make this country great, NOT the lawmakers. i support every single right guaranteed by The Bill of Rights in The Constitution, and will defend them with everything i have until the day i die. and i will do so even if someone else doing the same thing goes against everything in which i believe.

these words, written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall back in 1906, in a work entitled The Friends of Voltaire, are:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

and i stand by that statement. something someone says may make my blood boil and leave me with a feeling of "if i ever catch them in a dark alley, alone..."; but i will defend their right to say it. and this goes along with the whole kneeling during the National Anthem, or burning the U.S. flag (which fills me with a hatred that would frighten even Emperor Palpatine). both of those acts piss me off to no end, but it is their right and we must allow them their rights as afforded under The Constitution. or else we are no better than those who would seek to take away any of our rights simply because they do not agree with us.

as many know, i'm a big supporter of the 2nd amendment. i like guns and i like shooting for sport. some may look at that and say i probably support the guy in las vegas. well, i don't support what he did. but as far as all the weapons he had, he broke no laws until he started firing into the crowd at the concert. up to that point, he was absolutely within his rights as a citizen of this country to own and carry firearms. that many at one time? yep, even that many at one time. many people see how many guns he had and automatically think he was nuts. why? because he had a bunch of guns? i know a lot of hunters who own several different types of rifles, several different shotguns, and several different types of pistols and revolvers. does that make them nuts? most people would say no because they see them as a hunter. but this guy, he's automatically a crazy person because he had a bunch of guns. i actually heard people say, "well yeah he was crazy, look how many guns he had." how many guns you have doesn't make you a crazy person. it makes you a lover of guns. what you do with those guns is what defines you. if you hunt with them, you're a hunter. if you do shooting sports, then you're a sport shooter. if you use them to kill a whole bunch of innocent people at an outdoor concert, or at a school, or at a theater, or at a nightclub....then yeah, you're nuts and have mental issues.

it's not the guns that are the problem, it is the people that use those guns to do terrible acts that are the problem. take away the guns, and people who wold do harm will find another way to do it. just look at the guys in Europe who ran people over with those trucks (or vans, can't remember). they didn't need guns, they just used what they had. and if you think taking the guns away will stop criminals from getting them, then you're wrong. drugs are illegal, yet they get into this country every single day and people die from them every single day.

I generally reserve my opinion on this topic as I view what you do during the national anthem to be your own business as long as you aren't causing someone else's ability to stand/cover your heart/etc to be impeded. There was an era in my youth where I had feelings of irreverence toward my country. I was a teenager, didn't know much and I hadn't grown into quite the history buff that I am now. Knowing what I do now, I'm ashamed that I even had those kinds of thoughts.

There are lots of reasons to question things going on in our country. There always have been, and there always will be. I understand the desire to protest things that you think are wrong. I also understand that, as an employee, you have to follow certain rules in order to retain employment. That's where I have issue with this. These young men are in uniform and, if for no other reason, their contract and respect for their employer, they should get their knees off the ground and act like they enjoy the anthem if that is what their owner or GM require or promote. On the other hand, if their owner or GM is a card toting ANTIFA supporter or BLM participant and they would like to show unity in protesting the flag, then by all means, protest the flag and the anthem. I would like to see how it pans out in a "free-market" approach as far as support from fans and such.

Privately these players can send funds to the Communist Party USA or antifa all they want. And if they're not in uniform and on the clock, march in parades and talk on talk shows... set up fireworks displays with anti-american sentiments in the explosions.. drive a car powered by Russian gasoline... take a family trip to Venezuela to show your kids how life could be... whatever you like!!! I don't think anyone's right have been violated yet. I also wouldn't think that any player's rights would be violated if he were fired on the spot by the GM or owner and booted right out of the stadium never to return.... if that was how the GM or owner saw it...

But tell me why these guys should get a pass to protest the gov't, or more accurately to promote their ideological agenda, when any other employee doing the same would be at risk for being censured, fired, etc. I can tell you right now if my office staff started using my front desk as a bullhorn for their political or other hot-button opinions or topics they would have to deal with me in very short order.

It reflects on them. Not on their race or creed
Not on their sex. Not on anything but themselves. The individual
But...as a veteran...my 600+ days in VN.... my family as veterans...
I really dont care if u stand. Take ur hat off
It just says ...u r an ungrateful MF a@@hole..
Low level trash ... other then that.... i dont care

It’s their right under the constitution. I don’t agree with it at all and think they need slapped, but their rights are protected the same as mine.

Imagine if these “oppressed” people would’ve done something while all those people were dying at the hands of people of their own race.

People either believe in the first amendment to the U.S. Constitution, or they do not.

Respecting the right of someone to protest something you vehemently disagree with is the test. Respecting the right of someone to protest or speak when you agree is not.

Eric Reid: Why Colin Kaepernick and I Decided to Take a Knee
After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former N.F.L. player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

It should go without saying that I love my country and I’m proud to be an American. But, to quote James Baldwin, “exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

Back
Top Bottom