| FTBL Retro Poll - Should Curry have been fired?

Should Curry have been fired?

• Total voters
At least he allowed the OC to use the FB and TE a lot. Remember Kevin Turner and LaMonde Russell?

The main problem with Curry is that he wasnt from Bama and he couldnt beat auburn, two big problems.

alabama mike said:
At least he allowed the OC to use the FB and TE a lot. Remember Kevin Turner and LaMonde Russell?

The main problem with Curry is that he wasnt from Bama and he couldnt beat auburn, two big problems.

And he was thought by a lot of people to be to close to GA Tech and to have never assimilated to Alabama.

alabama mike said:

Exactly my thoughts. The man was 26-10-0 at Alabama, and won our first SEC title since Coach Bryant. What he did or didn't do at Kentucky after he left Tuscaloosa does not count.

Curry? Curry as in a variety of distinctively spiced dishes, best-known in Indian?

250px-Chicken_tikka_jalfrezi.jpg

My question is what did he do to get fired? It has been mentioned that he was not a "Bama man" and that he didn't beat Auburn. Yet, he was 26-10-0 in three years, and Bama won the SEC title with a 10-2 record the year Curry was let go. Hindsight is always 20/20, and it's easy to say that history shows he isn't head coaching material. But, who used their crystal ball to see into the future in 1989? I'm no huge Curry fan, but I never understood why he was terminated (resigned?). Was there something going on behind the scenes? Could he not get along with the alumni? There had to be something other than the man's coaching record.

It was always my understanding that Curry was always dedicated to running a very clean program. Look, let’s not be stupid here, we all know what goes on behind the scenes in recruiting and we know that probably 90% of teams are doing it. We know that to land top recruits you have to let the boosters “help you out” every now and then. It has always been my understanding that Curry had clashes with a lot of Bama’s top boosters because they were giving him “unwanted assistance” in recruiting some top players. That I think that was ultimately his demise. His unwillingness to accept the ugly side of college football that is required to build a winning program and ticking off a lot of influential people who were around Bama football at the time.

RollTideRandy said:
It was always my understanding that Curry was always dedicated to running a very clean program. Look, let’s not be stupid here, we all know what goes on behind the scenes in recruiting and we know that probably 90% of teams are doing it. We know that to land top recruits you have to let the boosters “help you out” every now and then. It has always been my understanding that Curry had clashes with a lot of Bama’s top boosters because they were giving him “unwanted assistance” in recruiting some top players. That I think that was ultimately his demise. His unwillingness to accept the ugly side of college football that is required to build a winning program and ticking off a lot of influential people who were around Bama football at the time.

So, basically, he got fired for being a straight arrow. I know what you say is true, RTR, but I have to commend Curry for wanting to "do it right." Anyhoo, he's gone (long gone) and that's water over the dam (or under the bridge).

Back
Top Bottom