| FTBL Reports from 7 on 7 confirming my thoughts on Julio

gary funderburk said:
NTT said:
yeah I guess sarcasim and saying I am uniformed could have been taken the wrong way. I sure he meant it in the nicest way. However as you said I just thouht he would as least say what he saw. I mean was Julio coming off the line good did he show good blocking did he make some catches that might not be made by an average WR or a guy with only 3 post. Actually I am up to 5 now, Just think another 4 or 5 hundred and I will automatically be informed.
Then why not in a respectful way ask him to elaborate? Too easy! You did kind of insinuate his post was stupid. I can understand his response. Lets just chill. The more you post and interact with these guys, you'll see they are cool.

Second that Gary :p

To elaborate on what I heard about Julio, he was catching everything thrown his way, almost impossible to defend, and the only difficulty was when facing press coverage from college caliber corners. I expect he'll adapt pretty quickly.

Is that the kind of information you're looking for?

TerryP said:
Just in terms of physical conditioning (stamina) when you are *required* to run 26+ 110's in a day and you do it in the time limits the staff requires it says A HELL OF A LOT! (26 is the routine, if one group doesn't make it in their alloted time the entire group continues running)
Those stadium lights have been on too, and every stair is being touched. :wink:

At LSU Saban and Moffit made the players run the East upper-deck ramp 15 times. Anyone that has walked up that thing knows it is torture.

I feel even more fat and worthless after reading these posts.

TigerBait3 said:
TerryP said:
Just in terms of physical conditioning (stamina) when you are *required* to run 26+ 110's in a day and you do it in the time limits the staff requires it says A HELL OF A LOT! (26 is the routine, if one group doesn't make it in their alloted time the entire group continues running)

At LSU Saban and Moffit made the players run the East upper-deck ramp 15 times. Anyone that has walked up that thing knows it is torture.

ROLL TIDE

TigerBait3 said:
TerryP said:

After the tailgating...a task. Geez, even sitting in the seats. ;sh

FWIW, Julio isn't out performing other guys in the skel drills. He's doing well, but not to the level as some are putting out there. He's catching a lot thrown at him.

You put someone on press coverage on him and you'll keep him neutralized.

If you had asked for more info, or wanted more info, it would have been no big deal. The reality is, you attacked me for not providing a link or somesuch. Links are not always necessary, and this is a message board, not a news page. You do not flame or attack people for posting messages that are not complete stories...I am 400 miles from home right now and don't have time to write a thesis...I just passed along what a couple of people told me. Attacking people for doing that is what kills message boards...it has destroyed others and I don't like a single digit midget doing it here. You don't know the accuracy of my posts so you are best served taking a neutral stance if you don't want to believe what I have to say.

That said, some more specifics are that Julio's upper body strenght is surprising and he is very difficult to chuck or knock off of his route....I could spend time but most everything has been said - it is just now being realized within the context of collegiate athletics. He really is that good.

NTT said:
I was just excited and thought there might be some details of what he saw. I know 3 posts makes me some kind of idiot as if I know nothing :roll: Its like telling somebody a movie was awesome and all you tell them about it was who played in it. Anyway maybe when I have reached 2000 posts I will somehow be smarter and have more football knowledge. Because watching them and every other SEC game for over 20 years isn't enough unless i have 2000 posts saying "Julio is great he is going to be awesome, Jackpot" Now thats pure genius. :wink: :wink:

TerryP said:
FWIW, Julio isn't out performing other guys in the skel drills. He's doing well, but not to the level as some are putting out there. He's catching a lot thrown at him.

You put someone on press coverage on him and you'll keep him neutralized.

Not what I have heard...but we will see if he lines up as a starter against Clemson.

Ive been out there a few times over the last month. There a couple of ways to describe Julio, really just depends on how you are looking at it.

As a WR in an offense he is doing a good job, but he doesn't stand out like someone dropped Randy Moss on to the field. However, if (and I think you should)you look at it like he is a freshman he seems to be doing as well as he can. And when he is living up to his hype, that might be saying something.

Some things to remember especially when there is a negative update - Half the time they aren't serious out there and it is a lot of times a showcase of athleticism. Obviously they are playing more man than they normally ever would and there is no pass rush, plus they do things they wouldn't do if a coach were out there. In other words, I would take some of the updates regarding scheme and stats with a grain of salt but as far as athleticism goes it is an impressive showcase out there.

- Maze has put on a show.

It helps to have had exposure to the routes. MM has the upper hand there. I think that the general feeling about Julio has been based upon the sheer amount of physical ability he has. He is probably the strongest WR we have had since JMac (who had a 400# benchpress) and he is a true frosh just entering the program, and while he is not unbelievably fast, he has very good acceleration and surprising cutting ability for a big receiver. He has the potential to be Moss-ish by August 30...he will not be outworked for a jump ball and that fact alone will force double teams in the red zone. Either he will get a lot of fade route TD's, or someone will benefit from the double team leaving them open...that is not even considering the comments of those who have been trying to cover him.

TigerBait3 said:
Ive been out there a few times over the last month. There a couple of ways to describe Julio, really just depends on how you are looking at it.

As a WR in an offense he is doing a good job, but he doesn't stand out like someone dropped Randy Moss on to the field. However, if (and I think you should)you look at it like he is a freshman he seems to be doing as well as he can. And when he is living up to his hype, that might be saying something.

Some things to remember especially when there is a negative update - Half the time they aren't serious out there and it is a lot of times a showcase of athleticism. Obviously they are playing more man than they normally ever would and there is no pass rush, plus they do things they wouldn't do if a coach were out there. In other words, I would take some of the updates regarding scheme and stats with a grain of salt but as far as athleticism goes it is an impressive showcase out there.

- Maze has put on a show.

Big_Fan said:
He has the potential to be Moss-ish by August 30...he will not be outworked for a jump ball and that fact alone will force double teams in the red zone. Either he will get a lot of fade route TD's, or someone will benefit from the double team leaving them open...that is not even considering the comments of those who have been trying to cover him.
Absolutely no doubt he will be a beast. I just wanted some overzealous fans to realize there is a learning curve, as you mentioned - and not to be upset if he has two catches for 27 yards in his first few games. I think most realize that, though.

Clemson has some experience at corner, but they are 5'10 and 5'11 170-180. You cannot coach someone to be 6'4" 215. Their safeties are taller (6'1 or so) but if they use a safety to double him Maze and Alexander will have a field day...at least that is my opinion. Even if the learning curve proves steep (a Frosh won the Belitnikoff in 2007), Julio will be on the field as a decoy.

TigerBait3 said:
Big_Fan said:
He has the potential to be Moss-ish by August 30...he will not be outworked for a jump ball and that fact alone will force double teams in the red zone. Either he will get a lot of fade route TD's, or someone will benefit from the double team leaving them open...that is not even considering the comments of those who have been trying to cover him.
Absolutely no doubt he will be a beast. I just wanted some overzealous fans to realize there is a learning curve, as you mentioned - and not to be upset if he has two catches for 27 yards in his first few games. I think most realize that, though.

TB3 touched on something here that needs to be expounded on a little.

You see a lot of fans talk about the spring game as "another scrimmage" and therefore you can't take a lot away from it in terms of how the team will look in the fall. A lot of that is true.

Skel drills fall lower on that "rating poll" than the spring scrimmages. There are a few things you can see in skel drills and come away with solid observations. For instance, Jerrell doing well with pass coverage. How he'll do against the run can't really be judged until you have 11 on 11.

I love watching skel drills on any level. You can see how athletic a kid is...can see potential, and can see what might be a problem. With Julio, when our DB's have pressed him along the line he's struggled. When they have given him the opportunity (as in a 5-8 yard cushion) he's done pretty well. He's making plays just like Maze has been...just like others have been. But, he's not "all world" by any means at this point. He definitely wants to improve and wants to get the timing aspects between the WR position and QB position down to the point when fall camp begins he'll be able to contribute.

All that said, I still don't see him as a starter against Clemson. Then again, if we line up on the first play in a 4-wide set and he's one of the four does that really make him a starter? Not in my eyes. With the WR position it's all about making it into the 6-8 player rotation and you'll have the ability to contribute. Just as another example of the "starter" role. Nick Walker is considered to be the "guy" in our TE role. If we line up in our Ace set with an H-back on the first play (let's say with Preston Dial) does that make McCall, Dial and Walker starters? What if we line up in a no-back set? Does that mean Grant isn't a starter?

Bottom line to what/how I see it. The term "starter" is subjective and doesn't carry a lot of weight. Having the ability to contribute and contributing is what is important. Jones has that by all indications.

FWIW, the comments on how Julio is doing came from a player participating in the skel drills.

Big_Fan said:
Clemson has some experience at corner, but they are 5'10 and 5'11 170-180. You cannot coach someone to be 6'4" 215. Their safeties are taller (6'1 or so) but if they use a safety to double him Maze and Alexander will have a field day...at least that is my opinion. Even if the learning curve proves steep (a Frosh won the Belitnikoff in 2007), Julio will be on the field as a decoy.

TigerBait3 said:
Big_Fan said:

If his learning curve is steep, he'll be a star at the Clemson game. :wink:

Adding one more thought on the 7 on 7 drills. If you were to pick one group that benefits the most from these drills it would be your cornerbacks and safeties with linebackers coming in a distant third. The biggest reason behind that is your team defense will get better during 7/7 because of all of the spread sets/motions and the substantial amount time given to the QB to make decisions....

By season's end, everyone should have a better understanding of what Big_Fan has witnessed & Simon has said:

It [should be] against the law
It [should be] against the law
What the mama saw
It [should be] against the law.

TerryP said:
I still don't see him as a starter against Clemson. Then again, if we line up on the first play in a 4-wide set and he's one of the four does that really make him a starter? Not in my eyes.

I know you went on to further explain other good points later in the post and I am not trying to leave them out.
I agree with you here. If he is a true starter I will be suprised. The kid is 18 and still growing. I don't want to see all the fans be let down if he does not have some sort of amazing season this year. I think he will contribute in a meaningful way this year but he will probably be a Junior before he becomes 'all-world'.

Thanks for the updates on the newcomers guys, glad to hear the guys are hard at work. Has anyone heard anything about how Mark Barron is doing in these skel drills? I have really high hopes for him...as most people do.

Back
Top Bottom