| FTBL Reality Check...

FLTidefan

Verified Member
In an effort to keep my expectations in check, I thought it might be good to look at some of the not so good stuff from Saturday.

1. Penalties- I realize we had very few, but once again they came at inopportune times. A couple caused red zone stalls.

2. Kick coverage- Other than 1 return for TD, there were a couple of poor angles taken.

3. Red zone- Although we did convert 6 of 6 red zone opportunities, 3 of those were FGs. We must have a higher percentage of TDs. If I remember correctly, a couple were stalled by penalties.

Understand, I am being very nitpicky here. Most of these can and will be corrected with practice and experience for the younger players. The only thing that I am really concerned about is red zone efficiency. And, I am willing to bet that it will continue to improve.

Just some food for thought on a stormy Monday. Thoughts and prayers to those that are in LA.

We also have some over thrown balls. That could have resulted in big plays. As stated just picking out some small things.

that was about as good an opening day performance in august i've ever seen a team play.

the reason the little things don't bother me at this point is the way the team seemed to be so well coached overall. that, and the fact that we destroyed a "top ten" non-conference oppenent.

:lol:

i'm sure nick is working on any issues as we speak...

RTR

FLTidefan said:
In an effort to keep my expectations in check, I thought it might be good to look at some of the not so good stuff from Saturday.

1. Penalties- I realize we had very few, but once again they came at inopportune times. A couple caused red zone stalls.

2. Kick coverage- Other than 1 return for TD, there were a couple of poor angles taken.

3. Red zone- Although we did convert 6 of 6 red zone opportunities, 3 of those were FGs. We must have a higher percentage of TDs. If I remember correctly, a couple were stalled by penalties.

Understand, I am being very nitpicky here. Most of these can and will be corrected with practice and experience for the younger players. The only thing that I am really concerned about is red zone efficiency. And, I am willing to bet that it will continue to improve.

Just some food for thought on a stormy Monday. Thoughts and prayers to those that are in LA.

Good observation and even better sentimental gesture at the end!!!

I will also say that I am watching the game again on ESPN360.com, and we started both halves very shaky. As a matter of fact, we had 3 offensive penalties that keep us from good TD scoring position.

I am glad Tiffin is kicking lights out, but I would love for our offense to limit his opportunities as they appear to be doing with JPW having to throw the ball.

It also seemed that JPW just missed on about 3 passes (2 to Julio) that would have been TDs for sure.

When they get this timing down, look out!!!

First real game action, so they can only get better from here on!!!

Starting with Tulane!!!

I've said in the past that I was a little concerned the JPW doesn't seem to possess that killer instinct and you can't completely blame it on the QB. The mindset of the whole offense has lacked the aggressive finishing attitude in the past few years. I'm hopeful we can put teams away.

I know that things change when youre in the red zone but we have to get TDs this year instead of FGs.

I noticed the not so good stuff too but the good stuff made up for it. I'm confident they'll improve(hopefully before they go to Arkansas and Georgia), but I'm not as worried as I was a week ago. I know it's just one game but I'm starting to have a real good feeling. Not getting my hopes up on anything and I don't have the highest of expectations. This game against Clemson was the best scrimage game these new guys could have. Yall are right . They can only get better from here. That's what the first game is all about; what to work on. RTR.

Optimus said:
We also have some over thrown balls. That could have resulted in big plays. As stated just picking out some small things.

Thanks, I meant to add that in also, but forgot to mention it. I think by midseason, we will be clicking on all cylinders.

About the only real question I have now is can they finish the season.

Back
Top Bottom