| FTBL Questions about our D

G

I noticed a couple of things last night that I had really not noticed before. Maybe they're no big deal and maybe I'm trying to be too detailed.

First of all, when Rolando is in I know he is our QB for the D so to speak. I noticed him yelling out a lot last night and the D shifting a lot in reaction to it. It almost seemed too late many times. In fact several times when WKU snapped the ball we weren't really set. Is this normal? I know he's only a sophomore, and I'm probably making something out of nothing.

One other question. Right before the blitz and sack by Javy some defender came up and tapped him on the shoulder. As soon as the tap Javy took off and the pursuit and sack occurred. Was that coincidence? If not I want more tapping. :D

BamaDelta said:
I noticed a couple of things last night that I had really not noticed before. Maybe they're no big deal and maybe I'm trying to be too detailed.

First of all, when Rolando is in I know he is our QB for the D so to speak. I noticed him yelling out a lot last night and the D shifting a lot in reaction to it. It almost seemed too late many times. In fact several times when WKU snapped the ball we weren't really set. Is this normal? I know he's only a sophomore, and I'm probably making something out of nothing.

One other question. Right before the blitz and sack by Javy some defender came up and tapped him on the shoulder. As soon as the tap Javy took off and the pursuit and sack occurred. Was that coincidence? If not I want more tapping. :D

If it aint broke.. dont fix it!
If the late shift is not by design then one would think they should take note when they review film before Arky.

bamanaf said:
BamaDelta said:

If the late shift is not by design then one would think they should take note when they review film before Arky.

http://www.crimsontusks.com/about31461.html

Second post.....GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!!!

the_rolltide said:
bamanaf said:
BamaDelta said:

Mine was first, by 30 seconds. :lol:

Agree WR is the most productive spot for JJ.

bamanaf said:
the_rolltide said:
bamanaf said:
BamaDelta said:

Mine was first, by 30 seconds. :lol:

Agree WR is the most productive spot for JJ.

I am a tad slower!!!!

:)

I was born in Virginia.

I think they are finally learning the D and the scheme. Going out on a limb Delta and saying the some of it is by design. Cody lined up at Nose one time sideways....at the last second he moved straight up on the guard and it made the center snap it early....

It was funny, and I don't know how many of you noticed. Had I not been right down behind the bench I probably wouldn't have noticed. Saban and the staff were about to have a cow before the Woodall int. As I remember it was 4th and about 3 or so in maybe late 3rd or 4th Q.

It looked like they wanted a time out. Anyway several coaches were about to jump out of their skin pointing to the D. WKU snapped it and I thought "oh boy, we must be bad out of position". Obviously not because Woodall got the pick.

Anyway, that type thing probably goes on a lot.

the reason ............

for McClain calling and shifting the front is an attempt to confuse their Oline. If we shift any earlier, the center can then make the adjustments with his call and get them into the right protection or blocking scheme. If you noticed, we were also slanting to the strength of their formation or toward the wide side of the field. You don't want to give it away too soon. It sometimes looks chaotic but it is very disruptive. RTR

Re: the reason ............

uagrad93 said:
for McClain calling and shifting the front is an attempt to confuse their Oline. If we shift any earlier, the center can then make the adjustments with his call and get them into the right protection or blocking scheme. If you noticed, we were also slanting to the strength of their formation or toward the wide side of the field. You don't want to give it away too soon. It sometimes looks chaotic but it is very disruptive. RTR

^^^ Spot on observation!!! ^^^

Thank Terry! Something I forgot too is that the QB is often changing the play or blocking assignments for the backs on pass protection. It's confusing as he**!

uagrad93 said:
Thank Terry! Something I forgot too is that the QB is often changing the play or blocking assignments for the backs on pass protection. It's confusing as he**!

I was glad to see you mention that because I had planned to at some point today.

I was talking with Step yesterday afternoon and what you posted is identical to the conversation we were having about how the defense approached the game. Seriously, identical.

BAMAFSTBACK said:
That's what Lou Holtz was talking about(coaching against Saban) not too long ago. All the shifting and crazy blitz packages.

So crazy and looking all out of place is obviously a good thing. :wink: I never thought about it being a timed and purposeful thing.

BamaDelta said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:
That's what Lou Holtz was talking about(coaching against Saban) not too long ago. All the shifting and crazy blitz packages.

So crazy and looking all out of place is obviously a good thing. :wink: I never thought about it being a timed and purposeful thing.

We've been caught out of position sometimes this year and it is something you can expect to happen with this defense at least once a game. It just happens.

WKU's TD was such a case, but it wasn't a DLman out it was Ro in his LB position.

It's complicated defense that we still haven't seen much of yet. Heck, I have copies of a few of his playbooks (without the addendum's added in throughout the year) and both are well over 300 pages thick.

Yup Lou said is was hell to play against Sabans D because of the packages and blitzes...I cant wait till they get all the D put in place ^^MWA

BamaDelta said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:

last season we saw a fairly plain CNS defense. we did not have quite the talent at LB and depth on the DL that we needed to do everything a CNS defense does. as somebody else mentioned, Lou Holtz talked for a minute about how a CNS defense is a completely schizo defense. this defense will be absolutely completely S I C K next season. we're starting to see the stunts and different crazy looks inherent to this defense. the point of every defense is to try and disguise what you are doing, and there is a heavy emphasis on it.

the way this defense is designed, the opposition has to have a very very sharp and quick QB. when in full force and using pressure, you just cannot tell where the blitzes are going to come from and just when you think you have it figured out and you think you recognized a blitz from earlier in the night, it does something totally different from that same formation. each alignment has so many multiples it is just incredibly hard to defeat.

Back
Top Bottom