| FTBL Please participate in my poll!

Which best describes your opinion regarding Shula's termination?

• Shula’s criticism was justified, but he deserved one more year to prove himself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had concerns about Shula, but due to the unprecedented turnover since Bryant, recent sanctions, Sh

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was actually calling for changes but I wanted him to make those changes. After he said he wouldn't get rid of any coaches I knew he was gone. He is a great guy but he just isn't a great coach. Bottom line, we need a great coach. I will also say this, Shula put us on track for greatness....now it is up to Mal to get us a coach to get us there.

Typical reactions from players. Witt and Moore want Shula to be able to leave as gracefully as possible. Wonder why they didn't trot out the Castilles to meet the press?

After four years, Shula had plenty of time to grow in certain areas, and he did not. And there is absolutely no evidence to suggest he was going to. The ones that concern me are:
1. inability to effectively manage his staff and make necessary changes
2. poor evaluation of player personnel and poor decision making (Tiffin vs. Ark, Capps)
3. poor game management
4. public disrespect by some players
5. inability to motivate his team to play up to their potential when playing far inferior teams (Vandy, Duke, Ole Miss, Miss St.)
6. poor discipline. Simpson should have been kicked off, period. If I want a coach to go easy on guys who get busted with stolen guns and drugs, I'll pull for the Great Pumpkin and the Creamsicles. It's a sad day for Alabama football when Tuberville seizes the high moral ground of discipline.
7. ineffective offensive performance (the least of my concerns)

Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
`It's what Alabama is known for right now,'' defensive end Wallace Gilberry said. ``One day we're going to find the right fit who's going to come in here and turn the program around.''

I'm reading that to mean Gilberry didn't think Shula was the RIGHT FIT for Alabama. Is there any other way to read it?

RollTideRandy said:
Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
`It's what Alabama is known for right now,'' defensive end Wallace Gilberry said. ``One day we're going to find the right fit who's going to come in here and turn the program around.''

I'm reading that to mean Gilberry didn't think Shula was the RIGHT FIT for Alabama. Is there any other way to read it?

I also heard Gilberry say last night that losing Shula was like "losing his best friend." I don't have a link, I heard it on "Hey Coach" last night. The way he talked last night made it sound like he was upset Shula was fired.

I don't understand what people have been seeing for the last 4 years. The offensive system has not improved. We have the best passing offense we've had in a generation in Wilson and the receivers. But we couldn't score except when playing patsies.
I hear people say Shula was a great coach. What does great mean? Has the meaning of the word deteriorated? Shula had four years. Look back in history. Coach Bryant came into a feckless program at Alabama and in four years had an NC. Shula in 4 years was not even in the hunt for the SEC west. NOT EVEN IN THE HUNT. In four years we did not have a better than .500 avg against the SEC leaders. How is that greatness? It seems as if all you have to do is stand on the sidelines and look pretty and you are thereby great.

Problem is Mal Moore did not have a coach lined up. I believe he should have had his man to replace Shula lined up but apparently he did not. So he has now set out program back several more years. FIRE MAL MOORE HE IS AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom