| FTBL Phil Savage leaving Alabama radio broadcast crew

• Thread starter Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
  • Start date
M

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

Changes are coming to the broadcast booth of Alabama football games.
Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
Phil Savage leaving Alabama radio broadcast crew

Changes are coming to the broadcast booth of Alabama football games.

Phil Savage, the color analyst on Crimson Tide radio broadcasts, is leaving that post. The announcement was made Thursday evening on Twitter.

Savage has worked alongside Eli Gold on the air since 2009 when the Mobile native replaced legendary Ken Stabler.

The former Cleveland Browns general manager recently took a job as the GM of the Phoenix franchise of the new AAF professional league.

"Coach Mal Moore and the Crimson Tide Sports Network gave me an opportunity to audition during the 2009 A-Day game," Savage said in a statement released with his announcement. "Little did we know that one game would turn into nine incredible years as the color analyst alongside Eli Gold. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent focused on college football, at the Reese's Senior Bowl and with the University of Alabama, but am looking forward to being back in professional football as the General Manager of the Phoenix franchise in the new Alliance of American Football league, in addition to continuing my other football-related pursuits."

Savage also served as the executive director of the Senior Bowl from 2012-2018.

I wonder who will be next? Totally arbitrary guess, but I would think Jay Barker. While he hasn't announced games, he has a ton of radio experience,and he recently has a lot of time on his hands.

BUMMER!!! He was/is awesome. Found ways to subtly give some inside info without dropping any bombs.
his book was really great.

Did you guys notice that "inside info" he occasionally dropped has dropped significantly since the book was released? There were more than a handful who have said the book didn't sit well with Saban and Savage wasn't included in that "inner circle" anymore.

Totally arbitrary guess, but I would think Jay Barker.
Tyler Watts has more color commentating experience. I've seen Barrett Jones name bantered about as well as Mike Johnson's.

A few weeks ago word had it Scott Hunter was going to replace Savage. That broke right after he took the position with the new professional league. I very rarely listen to CTSN so it's not really a big deal in my eyes (ears?)

Out of all of those Barrett probably carries the most cache and Johnson is probably the best technical guy (as far as breaking down plays to the average listener.)

Considering the type of player Barrett was for Saban, I could see him moving into that role. Saban always bragged on Jones as a player and, liked his work ethic/attitude.

I know when Savage was hired, he and Saban had worked together at Cleveland. Stabler had just gotten arrested for DUI and Saban was doing his best to clean up the program. It'll be interesting to see who they put in there.

BUMMER!!! He was/is awesome. Found ways to subtly give some inside info without dropping any bombs.
his book was really great.

Did you guys notice that "inside info" he occasionally dropped has dropped significantly since the book was released? There were more than a handful who have said the book didn't sit well with Saban and Savage wasn't included in that "inner circle" anymore.

Totally arbitrary guess, but I would think Jay Barker.
Tyler Watts has more color commentating experience. I've seen Barrett Jones name bantered about as well as Mike Johnson's.

A few weeks ago word had it Scott Hunter was going to replace Savage. That broke right after he took the position with the new professional league. I very rarely listen to CTSN so it's not really a big deal in my eyes (ears?)

Out of all of those Barrett probably carries the most cache and Johnson is probably the best technical guy (as far as breaking down plays to the average listener.)

Saban wrote the preface for it...

Considering the type of player Barrett was for Saban, I could see him moving into that role. Saban always bragged on Jones as a player and, liked his work ethic/attitude.

I know when Savage was hired, he and Saban had worked together at Cleveland. Stabler had just gotten arrested for DUI and Saban was doing his best to clean up the program. It'll be interesting to see who they put in there.

G-Mac maybe?

G-Mac maybe?
G-Mac maybe?

How much does that gig pay? Might be hard to go from calling national games on TV to Bama on the radio. Besides his homer license has long since expired.
No kidding. He'd be taking a HUGE pay cut. Heck, he just was promoted about two years ago to calling games for ESPN. I can't see any way CTSN matches that salary. (Hell, it would be a step down for him career wise.)

Back
Top Bottom