| FTBL OUCH!

porkchop said:
txhawg said:
I doubt my post will be well received, but here goes...

First I have to say I have always thought highly of the crimson tide long before Arkansas joined the SEC. Now that we play you guys every year it has certainly added to my respect.

A couple of observations:

First, it wouldn't matter if Bill Belichick was the new coach at Arkansas, Darren McFadden would be going to the NFL. To suggest he's going for sure now that Petrino is coaching is dumb.

McFadden has absolutely no reason to stay in college. I think most people understand that. If by some chance McFadden had planned on returning though, this hire would likely have changed his mind. But again...most people know the deal there.

Second, my observation is that you guys are getting carried away with the "Oh what Petrino did makes CNS look like Saint Nick." Come on guys. No doubt you have taken a beating over the last year, but one coach continually lying about leaving before leaving and the other packing up and leaving puts these two in the same neighborhood.

What you have to understand is that I think most people here are just happy to see someone else on the whipping post for a change. That's where most of our joy comes from. Not that Saban's situation was markedly better of handled better than Petrino's but just that someone else is finally getting a taste of the action.

BUT.....FWIW, I don't recall any of Saban's players at Miami bad-mouthing him after he left. Petrino's former players are crucifying him in the media. When guys like Warrick Dunn come down on you, you must be a loser.
Secondly, Wayne Hyzinga (sp?) and Saban had a close relationship and Wayne state over and over that he understood why Saban felt like he had to go. That's a far cry from the statements Arthur Blank has made regarding Petrino.
And lastly.....hey...atleast Saban didn't walk out on his players before the season ended. I know that Arkansas probably pressured Petrino due to recruiting concerns but that is still bush league. It just underscores Petrino's short-comings in my mind.

I don't like how Petrino did it. I do like how our AD aggressively went after him before recruiting went into dead period. I don't care if Petrino only stays a few years. Great. I think he'll leave it better than he found it.

I don't like how he did it either, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Saban is a saint. Both lied. The one thing I would say though is that coaching has to be an incredibly tough situation nowadays with the media the way it is. You simply cannot have a life because these vultures want to get up into your personal space at every opportunity. It's got to be tough.

Lastly, even with all the tradition your great program has, don't think we can't compete with you. I look forward to more great matchups in the near future beginning next year. We aren't going to be as depleted of talent as some have said.

I don't want this to come off as disrespect because that is not my intention. But I will say that Arkansas has probably fared as well as they have against us recently due to Houston Nutt. I know, I know!! I can't beleive I am actually saying that myself, but Nutt utilized athleticism and a power running attack to keep a lot of games closer than they would have been under a different coach/system. Arkansas's wiht their style and athletes have always matched up with BAMA well. Petrino is a solid X's and O's guy and Arkansas will likely be better, but how long will it take to get the type of player he needs? How long will Petrino stay? I'm not sure at this point how Arkansas will fare the next couple of years while trying to get Petrino's players and installing a system.

If I thought Petrino would still be in Fayetteville 3 years from now I guess I'd be a lot more concerned.

No disrespect taken. I didn't care for Nutt's antics or his offensive(double meaning) philosophy, but I will give him credit for being able to assemble a wrecking ball-run blocking offensive line and good running backs to put behind them.

I don't want to sound like a big homer, but looking at our returning players (key is 3 OL and a seasoned DL/LB corp) our needs are DB's(if anything this will be our downfall) and WR's (have several potential good ones committed) Petrino should be able to assemble a competitive team. Oh yeah...we need a QB in the worst way.

I don't expect miracles, but I feel that CBP will come out swinging wanting to shut people up.

And I do think we will have him for at least 3 years because I can't imagine anyone giving him a shot for awhile.

Here is what I think. This time last year we were all having anxiety about a coach. Rich Rod had just turned us down and we watched Dolphins games and we waited. CNS gets cornered in a press conference and makes the now imfamous " I will not be the Alabama Coach" statement. He wanted to fulfill his obligation to the Dolphins and finish the season. He did that. It would have been impossible to have stayed at the Dolphins if he had admitted he was coming here.

Petrino decided to go ahead and head out before the season ended. It was 3 games. They would have probably lost them anyway. If you are a NFL player and you feel like crying because your coach left you to go be a sooowweee pig, go look at your check book balance and shut up. There are people who don't get enough food so please don't whine to me about Petrino. And as far as Vick goes, he got what he deserved IMO. I love animals and I think anyone who would intentionally harm a dog is one sick individual. You want to talk about Petrino and CNS!?!

Basically, bottom line is this. If we had gotten Petrino in this manner, we would be defending him just like the Razorbacks are. I for one am going to refrain from jumping on the bandwagon to rain on their parade. They got a really good coach and Nutt has put them through a lot of misery. I think we can all sympathize with that a little.

On a side note, since Nutts cell phone was State Property, I wonder where it is now. I bet you could get a mint for it on Ebay.

Oh yeah...we need a QB in the worst way.

That's kind of the problem isn't it. While Petrino is a solid tactitioner you can't run if you don't have the horses. Or, I mean, you can't throw if you don't have the .... horses? :? Anyway. You know what I mean. Casey Dick is not the answer. And under Petrino you'd better find one real quick or all that offensive genius is a waste.

Petrino's got an offensive philosophy and he isn't going to change it for anyone. This year's Atlanta team is proof of that. The Falcons went from being the top rushing team in the league before Petrino to a team that was going to sling it around 60 times a game. I know the loss of Vick hurt the running stats, but still. Petrino wasn't going to run it that much anyway if history is any indication.

Anyway, welcome to the site. Glad to have you. Enjoy the new hire and hope that Bobby stays put for a while. If he does the rest of the West is in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom