| FTBL Oregon Ducks TE Cam McCormick granted up to nine seasons total of NCAA eligibility, mulling return for 2023

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Oregon Ducks TE Cam McCormick granted up to nine seasons total of NCAA eligibility, mulling return for 2023

Oregon football tight end Cam McCormick was granted additional NCAA eligibility in a move that would allow the Ducks pass-catcher to play up to nine seasons at the collegiate level. McCormick, who has already been with Oregon for seven seasons, was granted two extra years of eligibility stemming from a string of injuries over the course of his playing career with the Ducks.

McCormick is still undecided if he will return to the Ducks in 2022 for what would be his eighth year of NCAA eligibility. McCormick said he's doubtful that he will put to use a ninth year of eligibility in 2024, regardless of his eventual decision for the 2023 season.

"I couldn't imagine doing nine," McCormick said, via CBS Sports' Austin Nivison. "If anything, I applied for it just to have it. After Ohio State last year, I tore my Achilles, and thankfully I was able to get it. The option is there. I do have it. Whether I use it, that's up in the air, but thinking about returning for Year 8."

The Oregon native's persevere has been well documented. Serious injuries cost him his 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 seasons. McCormick shocked many when he sought extra eligibility after suffering a torn achilles against Ohio State a season ago. He received national recognition earlier this week when he became the recipient of this year's Capital One Orange Bowl-FWAA Courage Award. McCormick will be on hand at the Orange Bowl on Dec. 30 to receive his award.

"I would talk to people after the game and they'd ask how I feel, and I'd say 'I'm just grateful to walk out of this game without any problems'," McCormick said Friday after a team practice, via DuckTerritory.com. "It's nice to go through season without any big problems because I've been through something almost every year. I'm just grateful for the opportunities I've been in and I've made the most for each and every one and preparing to go out there and play on Saturdays."

Oregon is wrapping put its debut season under head coach Dan Lanning, who guided the Ducks to a 9-3 mark in the regular season. Lanning, previously the defensive coordinator at Georgia, took over in Eugene after Mario Cristobal left for Miami.
Oregon concludes the 2022 season against North Carolina Dec. 28 in the Holiday Bowl at Petco Park in San Diego. It's the first time the bowl is being played since 2019 after it was canceled due to COVID-19 each of the past two seasons. The 2020 game was canceled well in advance due the pandemic. The game was set to return in 2021 with NC State and UCLA the participants, but the game was called off hours before kickoff after a late round of COVID-19 testing led to the Bruins not having enough players available to play the game.

Back
Top Bottom