| MBB/WBB Ole Miss has officially announced Chris Beard as the Rebels' new head men's basketball coach.

Not a surprising move by Ole Miss. This is a very difficult place to build any type of consistent program. Yeah, they have some decent teams and make a run now and then in the tourney but athletes are not knocking down the door to go to Oxford and play basketball.

I tend to believe Beard ends up at Louisville. I could absolutely see why Ole Miss would want him, and if that goblin Ross Bjork was still there he'd throw the bank at him.... but I'm not sure the current AD will. Would be one hell of a hire though.

Said it before, but he was (is still probably), my pick if/when Oats leaves (which I don't think is a concern for anything other than Michigan St. or Wisconsin). Huge get for the Rebels though... I really thought he'd sit out a year and wait for more options. [side note: Beard is a huge fan of Saban]

Said it before, but he was (is still probably), my pick if/when Oats leaves (which I don't think is a concern for anything other than Michigan St. or Wisconsin). Huge get for the Rebels though... I really thought he'd sit out a year and wait for more options. [side note: Beard is a huge fan of Saban]
With everything that's gone off with this team off court and Oats' comments, I don't see anyone pursuing Oats for quite some time. Combine that with the raises he's gotten every single season + his relationship with Byrne, I doubt he'll want to coach elsewhere. The new arena is picking up steam too, which will help persuade him to stay.

With everything that's gone off with this team off court and Oats' comments, I don't see anyone pursuing Oats for quite some time. Combine that with the raises he's gotten every single season + his relationship with Byrne, I doubt he'll want to coach elsewhere. The new arena is picking up steam too, which will help persuade him to stay.

I don't necessarily think it will happen, but if it did happen those would be the ones to watch down the road... mostly for family reasons. I will say Byrne needs to hit the accelerator on the new arena, and quit riding the brakes (which it appears he is). He's locked in right now though with that buyout... nobody is touching those numbers.

Back
Top Bottom