| LIFE Old TV Commercials

What old TV commercial would you like to see make a repeat performance? I'll start with Wendy's-Where's The Beef?

When people talk "old commercials" that is the one that immediately comes to my mind. And while they drove me nuts as a kid, the old 80's B'ham car commercials were classic 80's TV. Jim Skinner Ford, Long Lewis, etc... not a car commercial, but I can still hear the Long's Electronics ads in my head too. No way to really bring those back and recapture the magic... it's time capsule stuff, but I do appreciate them now, many years later. Wouldn't mind a new run of the GEICO caveman ads... some of those were good. As far as current commercials, the Dr. Rick Progressive commercials never get old. Their new ones with the replay flag theme are pretty good too... whatever company does their ads swings a hot bat.

bob-eucker-miller-lite.gif

In the early 1950s, before 99% of you were born, network TV commercials were often live and thus potentially fun times. For instance, I remember a china cup instantly shattering into a million pieces when somebody's steaming, rich and flavorful coffee was poured into it. But the best of all was the Timex commercial, hosted by newsman John Cameron Swayze, the concept of which was to attach a wristwatch to the agitator of a filled clothes washer, run the machine for some seconds, then raise up its agitator to reveal how unconquerably waterproof the watch was. Unfortunately for Swayze, the jolting and centrifugal force had been too much for the watchband, and he brought up a bare agitator. "Well," he said with what enthusiasm he could fake, "you can bet it's still ticking down there somewhere."

Beats hell out of a gecko.

Hold the pickle hold the lettuce special orders don't upset us all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way, have it your way, have it your way at Burger King.

Last edited:
Southern Maid no burn bacon.

On the TV commercials one guy was always trying to burn the bacon and when it wouldn't burn the other man would say "he'll never learn."

In the early 1950s, before 99% of you were born, network TV commercials were often live and thus potentially fun times. For instance, I remember a china cup instantly shattering into a million pieces when somebody's steaming, rich and flavorful coffee was poured into it. But the best of all was the Timex commercial, hosted by newsman John Cameron Swayze, the concept of which was to attach a wristwatch to the agitator of a filled clothes washer, run the machine for some seconds, then raise up its agitator to reveal how unconquerably waterproof the watch was. Unfortunately for Swayze, the jolting and centrifugal force had been too much for the watchband, and he brought up a bare agitator. "Well," he said with what enthusiasm he could fake, "you can bet it's still ticking down there somewhere."

Beats hell out of a gecko.
Here are some bare agitators...

Peta_White_Plains_20070711-1.jpg

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. McDonald's
I remember being in line at the cafeteria between Burke East and West during orientation when some rocket scientist from New Jersey sees the Thousand Island dressing at the salad bar and says, "Hey! I think I figured out what McDonald's special sauce is!"

To quote Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon."

Back
Top Bottom