| FTBL Of all the national media figures covering college football, who do you consider to be the most reliable, the most informed person?

TerryP

Staff
This is a bit of a loaded question because there are different facets. Who is the most informed person on coaching changes? The CFB Playoff? Player personnel?

Off the top of my head (so probably forgetting a couple of them, but)...

Best sources: Pete Thamel and Ross Dellenger (in some cases)

Most respected: Kirk Herbstreit, Bruce Feldman, Ivan Maisel, and Chris Low

Best all around right now: Josh Pate (well sourced and well respected)

Most Underrated: Connor O'Gara and Brandon Marcello

Off the top of my head (so probably forgetting a couple of them, but)...

Best sources: Pete Thamel and Ross Dellenger (in some cases)

Most respected: Kirk Herbstreit, Bruce Feldman, Ivan Maisel, and Chris Low

You must see something in Bruce Feldman that I do not see. The others I can see. Most underrated I do not know them.

That's the reason I started this thread. When it comes to judging these guys, who are their sources?

Yesterday, I fell into a rabbit hole watching people criticize Pate with accusations of, well, "he didn't know what he was talking about." I threw me a bit thinking about his relationship with 247Sports and the number of people that are at his fingertips.

I can't remember what program Pate follows. I easily remember where Marcello came from (and it still influences my opinion.) However, he's on the national beat with how many sources at his disposal?

O'Gara? I don't know a lot about him. I see he's linked to SDS. I immediately go back to sources where SDS is a sporting news aggregator.

Chris Low. I realize his relationships with head coaches. Am I the only one who remembers how he treated Freeze when everyone knew what he was up to at Ole Miss? Low as still treating him like a reverend, a deacon, a leader of men.

Dellenger is a lot like Marcello. I remember who he was when he was on the beat. What's neat about him is now that he's off the daily beat, and can concentrate on a story for a week, or more, he's putting out quality.

If I remember this correctly, Feldman made his way on the map via ESPN AND his coverage/book on Mike Leach.

I dont watch much .... read more....

Dont know who a bunch of these are...

Have See Pate....seems pretty informed....interesting also..have seen him

Hate him but seems to have nose in a lot of places...is...Finebaum
McElroy....i like him...probably cause he is Bama...

And best....of all.... i get most ...90%....from RTB.... 8% from al.com....2% from around here...

I am just not a fan of talking heads....and i have more to do than....watching tv.....

To expound on Pate... coaches like him and trust him. And I think he's worked really hard to gain that trust. I'd put Cubelic in that box too, but Pate has done it without being a former player, which IMO is harder to accomplish. At some point, I figure he'll break off from the corporate restraints and build his own digital media empire. And while I don't consume enough of his content to have a fair take on it, my concern on him would be that he becomes the CFB version of Kendall Rogers... an authority on the sport, but a guy who will tend to shy away from really saying anything negative about a coach or program and just stick to the positives. Or tries to spin the negatives. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but having unparalleled access yet also throwing coaches and programs into the fire at times don't make for great tag partners.

At some point, I figure he'll break off from the corporate restraints and build his own digital media empire. And while I don't consume enough of his content to have a fair take on it,
I've noticed he's starting to do that already. He's still under the CBS umbrella (see tags, etc.) but I've noticed he seems to be distancing himself from the 247 network (I don't see references to them often in his videos.)

And while I don't consume enough of his content to have a fair take on it, my concern on him would be that he becomes the CFB version of Kendall Rogers... an authority on the sport, but a guy who will tend to shy away from really saying anything negative about a coach or program and just stick to the positives. Or tries to spin the negatives. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but having unparalleled access yet also throwing coaches and programs into the fire at times don't make for great tag partners.
You've just described Chris Low.

I would be willing to bet if we had a negative story about a coach hit the press May 1st he'd cover the story; May 15th. As of today I'm unable to forget how he coddled Freeze's balls.

Back
Top Bottom