| FTBL OC/DC interview

New Alabama OC Nick Sheridan on Jalen Milroe: 'I think he’s extremely explosive as a passer'
Nick Sheridan, Alabama's new offensive coordinator, joined The Next Round on Wednesday and discussed what he's seen from quarterback Jalen Milroe, the entire QB room, and more.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Nick Sheridan, Alabama's new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, gave his first public assessment of Jalen Milroe, the Crimson Tide's returning starting quarterback, during an interview on The Next Round on Wednesday morning.

"He’s an extremely talented and hard-working person," Sheridan said. "Everybody knows about his explosiveness as a runner, but I also think he’s extremely explosive as a passer, too. He’s got an extremely strong arm."

"I think past performance is a great predictor of future performance," Sheridan said when asked about Milroe. "We don’t discredit any of the accomplishments of any of the players that have been here. Certainly, we’re going to implement our schemes and systems."

When Alabama begins spring practices next week, Milroe is expected to be QB1, ahead of Ty Simpson, Dylan Lonergan, and Austin Mack. Simpson and Lonergan both backed up Milroe last season. Mack recently transferred in after redshirting at Washington last season.

"It’s a really quality room with great people," Sheridan said. "I think that always lends itself to really good play. It starts with who the person is. It’s a room full of really great kids who have come from great families and are very talented."

Continued...

"Something that coach DeBoer has done so well for so many years, he adapts to what that group does well," Sheridan said. "We have enough offense to cater to the skills and strengths of the players, and that certainly centers around the quarterback, but also the offensive line and the skill players.

"At different stops along coach DeBoer’s journey, the offense has changed and adapted to who they’ve had. We’re excited about learning what that is with the guys … we don’t feel like we’re behind. We don’t feel like we’re catching up. We feel like we’re right where we’re supposed to be."

I wonder what he means by "minimize"? Terminology, scheme? Or both? I think it's the right approach, and he has the best to ever do it sitting there if he needs help learning it. I do hope we keep some schematic stuff the same, with wommacks system sprinkled in. Being multiple in what we run is a good thing.

I wonder what he means by "minimize"? Terminology, scheme? Or both? I think it's the right approach, and he has the best to ever do it sitting there if he needs help learning it. I do hope we keep some schematic stuff the same, with wommacks system sprinkled in. Being multiple in what we run is a good thing.
I get a feeling it'll be mixture of both.

My takeaways:

They're trying to make it easier on players by not changing much on either side of ball. I found it interesting that Wommack met with Saban to discuss defensive concepts.

Milroe might be the guy to watch this fall to break out in a big way.

I haven't seen the interview yet, will probably watch it later... so this may have been said... but the first meeting was a couple weeks ago to teach Saban the terminology.

I'm wondering if it's a case where they are mixing to different thoughts in the same tweet.

There's some change in scheme, yet. But the corps is much the same: safeties, in and out of the box, making plays. The ideal athlete in Wommack's eyes mirrors that of what's on the roster. If you recall we've seen Bama operate out of the nickel for 90% percent of the time for years. They will be running variations of the 4-2-5.

Terminology changes, as mentioned, but with calls and position titles.

Saban really doesn’t need to know much.. he is gone.. kind of weird..
You're missing the point. some of us have said that we wouldn't be surprised to see Saban helping out with defense concepts and Wommack pretty much confirmed it this morning. Saban won't be around much but you can bet you'll see him popping up in film rooms and occasionally meet with coaches and players time to time. He's not going to do that unless coaches asked him to do so.

You're missing the point. some of us have said that we wouldn't be surprised to see Saban helping out with defense concepts and Wommack pretty much confirmed it this morning. Saban won't be around much but you can bet you'll see him popping up in film rooms and occasionally meet with coaches and players time to time. He's not going to do that unless coaches asked him to do so.
We just got to make sure we don’t have another Pat Dye at our school.. Pat Dye was like herpes at Auburn..

I'm wondering if it's a case where they are mixing to different thoughts in the same tweet.

There's some change in scheme, yet. But the corps is much the same: safeties, in and out of the box, making plays. The ideal athlete in Wommack's eyes mirrors that of what's on the roster. If you recall we've seen Bama operate out of the nickel for 90% percent of the time for years. They will be running variations of the 4-2-5.

Terminology changes, as mentioned, but with calls and position titles
I'm not sure, we'll see. That Coaching clinic may be telling of what they're gonna do in terms of terminology this season.

And I fully expect us to run multiple fronts this season, Mint front(3 down lineman), some 2 down occasionally. Wommacks base defense is a 3-4, so I'm Interested in seeing the percentage of plays we run using these different fronts, it can fluctuate every year based on numerous things, like players, type of offenses you play, or just production. Im excited to see what he does, I would love for him to keep some of the same defensive concepts that Saban ran(some areas he does)while adding in his as well. Especially his blitzing concept's.

New Alabama defensive coordinator Kane Wommack had his second in-person meeting with former Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban on Wednesday before the former joined The Next Round set at the Mal M. Moore Athletic Facility. Wommack was “promptly early.”

“I told my wife it was like cramming for a final the night before, making sure my cut-ups and everything was ready to go for that meeting,” Wommack said. “But Coach has been awesome. He’s been helpful. He’s honest, gives me his real thoughts. I ask him real questions.

“I wanna know this team. I wanna know what he envisioned, what he built from a defensive perspective, obviously, and how to best kind of take what was done the last 17 years and how they’ve evolved over 17 years to the point they are now and how we best need to make that transition from a defensive scheme.”

Wommack is known for his “Swarm D” and 4-2-5 scheme and said there are similarities in what Alabama has done on the defensive side of the ball for the last 17 seasons under Saban.

“There’s a ton of carryover in what we do and what Coach Saban has done,” Wommack said. “My dad was a longtime defensive coordinator in the SEC. Dave Wommack had great defenses, was kind of one of the originators of the 4-2-5 defense. But we are a little bit more of a 3-4 nickel defense. That’s really what Coach Saban has been the last few years, where they’re able to move in and out of four down and 3-4.

“So there’s a lot of carryover, but I wanna make sure that I kind of minimize some of the things that our players are gonna have to learn so that I can understand their verbiage, as well.”

I'm not sure, we'll see. That Coaching clinic may be telling of what they're gonna do in terms of terminology this season.
Some of the new terminology is already been published. IE: What's normally called a DE is known as a Bandit. The position known as the strong or free safety is the Rover. Saban used a STAR, it's Husky here.

And I fully expect us to run multiple fronts this season, Mint front(3 down lineman), some 2 down occasionally. Wommacks base defense is a 3-4, so I'm Interested in seeing the percentage of plays we run using these different fronts,
I'm not sure where you got his base is the 3-4. He's said he's running the 4-2-5 in Tuscaloosa just as they did at UW and IU. It looks like a traditional 3-4. The use of the Bandit playing an edge, and the Wolf often against the TE or T changes the traditional look.

Back
Top Bottom