| FTBL OC/DC interview

I'm not sure where you got his base is the 3-4. He's said he's running the 4-2-5 in Tuscaloosa just as they did at UW and IU. It looks like a traditional 3-4. The use of the Bandit playing an edge, and the Wolf often against the TE or T changes the traditional look.
He said it today that they're more of a 3-4 nickel defense... like Saban ran here. You can still run a 4 man front while your base is a 3-4, and hes gonna. Saban and smart do/did this as well.

Last edited:
He said it today that they're more of a 3-4 nickel defense... like Saban ran here.
As a description moving in and out of a four man look. He didn't say his base was 3-4.

There is no such thing as a 3-4-nickel defense. Well, there have been a few times under the last staff that put flags on the field.

Saban's true base was a 3-4. The team was in nickel over 90% of the time. It wasn't a 4-2-5 base.

The movement you'll see in the front six along with a safety ... you'll see why it's called the "Swarm" 4-2-5.

There is no such thing as a 3-4-nickel defense. Well, there have been a few times under the last staff that put flags on the field.
There is, it's the Mint front. 3 down lineman, and the jack backer. Exact same principles to a traditional 3-4, just lose the extra player up front, but gain an extra defender in the secondary. That's now the "base" defense for almost every team in college football, since they're just about always in it.

I've seen it, still gotta learn it a bit better though. Still not used to the new terminology.... but may not have to this year.
They will. That's how the playbook for defense is written.

I don't see learning position names as a big deal. After a day or two in film session that's done. It'll take some time to get accustomed: studying film and using Bandit standing up on the line as well as playing more of an outside role like, say Turner.

He uses DT and NT, two at times, but now you're also watching the Wolf (used to be SAM) as an edge defender as well.

The "morphing" of the Rover will give an interesting look. Now, with Sting (WILL) along with MIKE (Lawson...same name on both.)

Who gets the WOLF role? We'll see...and we'll also see him lining up close to the line of scrimmage (given the scheme that four lineman, standing up, but just off the line.)

There is, it's the Mint front. 3 down lineman, and the jack backer. Exact same principles to a traditional 3-4, just lose the extra player up front, but gain an extra defender in the secondary. That's now the "base" defense for almost every team in college football, since they're just about always in it.
A 3-4-5 (3-4-nickel) is a 12 man defensive set.

Using the Mint as a comparison, look at my last post again with the use of personnel: name changes. Is is a great example of Wommack and Saban spending time together and breaking down film of the players. "This is what you guys were doing in Mint, here's how we'll use these personnel packages."

In theory, we could call it a 2-1. The NT/DT and MIKE positions haven't changed that much...in about the same role in each play I've watched.

A 3-4-5 (3-4-nickel) is a 12 man defensive set.

Using the Mint as a comparison, look at my last post again with the use of personnel: name changes. Is is a great example of Wommack and Saban spending time together and breaking down film of the players. "This is what you guys were doing in Mint, here's how we'll use these personnel packages."

In theory, we could call it a 2-1. The NT/DT and MIKE positions haven't changed that much...in about the same role in each play I've watched.
I said same "principles". It's a 3-3-5 look, but they play it the same as they would in a traditional 3-4 look... like this.
E4787985_D933_41C6_AE1B_4D9A33F92FDB.jpeg
Looks awfully similar to a 3-4, doesn't it?

I'm sure he'll add his own way of using it. Didn't say he wouldn't, I'm just strictly talking about his defensive fronts.

I said same "principles". It's a 3-3-5 look, but they play it the same as they would in a traditional 3-4 look... like this.
View attachment 27350
Looks awfully similar to a 3-4, doesn't it?
I'm not happy to have lost in first round of the playoff, but this graphic lets me remember the giddy of beating these guys, taking the conference crown and depriving them of the playoff.

They will. That's how the playbook for defense is written.

I don't see learning position names as a big deal. After a day or two in film session that's done. It'll take some time to get accustomed: studying film and using Bandit standing up on the line as well as playing more of an outside role like, say Turner.

He uses DT and NT, two at times, but now you're also watching the Wolf (used to be SAM) as an edge defender as well.

The "morphing" of the Rover will give an interesting look. Now, with Sting (WILL) along with MIKE (Lawson...same name on both.)

Who gets the WOLF role? We'll see...and we'll also see him lining up close to the line of scrimmage (given the scheme that four lineman, standing up, but just off the line.)
I'll get used to it at some point. I've just never heard, or have had to use this terminology ever in my life for football. You caught on to it pretty quickly, though.

This whole semantical conversation started with the word "base."
I've tried showing what I meant by saying "base". You stated that he'd be running a 4-2-5 defense, what I'm trying to explain here is that he runs a 3-4 scheme, just not the same 3-4 that I think is being confused for. I should've clarified that from the beginning. Like Wommack said, they're primarily gonna be a 3-4 nickel defense. They're gonna run "mint", "Tite", or whatever else there is to call it, front. They're also gonna go 4 down as well, so he's gonna run multiple fronts. So ultimately, what I'm trying to say is that we're not gonna primarily be a 4-2-5 defense up front. But we may run some coverage stuff on the back end similar to it, but that's another topic. Like I've said before, I'm ready to see his clinic, so I can get a better understanding of what exactly he's gonna be running here.

Back
Top Bottom