| FTBL Now that the dust has somewhat settled at LSU, your thoughts on the Tiger program? Herbstreit flipped on the Tigers for the second time this season.

TerryP

Staff
A lot of moving parts to this story.

In case you've missed it, it appears ...

Following the title game Herbie was fully onboard the Tiger bandwagon. I've seen a few mention his reference to a changing of the guard. Then someone turned the proverbial fan on.

247Sports publishes an article pointing to Herbie thoughts a few days later ...

I will say this: as much as we’re celebrating this team, I wasn’t a real fan of the postgame stuff, the OBJ stuff with the money,” Herbstreit said. "The way they handled themselves at times. If it’s just about 2019, great. But this is about staying power, right? This isn’t the finish line of their program. Don’t they wanna win in 2020, don’t they wanna win in 2021? I almost feel like it’s all the chips in, we made it, that’s it and forget everything else.
“Part of what makes Clemson, Clemson is they’re gonna be back and be preseason No. 1 next year. Part of what makes Alabama, Alabama is they don’t do that. Sure they celebrate, sure they’re happy, but guess what: they have freshmen that are watching, they have sophomores that are watching, they care about the health of their program.”
In the days following LSU’s championship win, several underclassmen decided to leave school early for the NFL Draft, passing-game coordinator Joe Brady has become the new offensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers in the NFL, and defensive coordinator Dave Aranda has reportedly reached a deal as the new head coach at Baylor.
“I thought (LSU) showed a little bit of immaturity and kinda not knowing how to handle it with the way they celebrated postgame,” Herbstreit said. “This thing is about 2020, this is about Coach O building a massive program and trying to become the new sheriff in town in the SEC West. And the way his team reacted, I almost feel like … everyone’s going to the NFL, everybody’s acting like this is the top of the mountain, which it is for this year, but it seems a little bizarre to me.”
I haven't had the time to pay attention to much of what's happening in Baton Rouge in a few days. The last time ...

Jefferson, Cushenberry, Queen, Delpit, Phillips, Edwards-Helaire, Charles...these aren't all the guys that are leaving.
Aranda. (stories circulating of another LSU defensive assistant following him.)
Brady.
Burrow.

Your 2018 freshman should be your foundation for 2020's success led by those remaining from the 2017 team.

Where do you guys see putting LSU in the west ...

h.jpg

This LSU team, the 2019 version of LSU, was certainly a very good team and like all Championship teams, they had their fair share of breaks to get to the top of the mountain this year. They had close games with Alabama (the worst Alabama team when it came to self-inflicted mistakes I can remember an Alabama team since '06) the Barn and didn't put the Gators away until late.

Just like Tennessee capitalizing on their moral victory against Alabama which seem to revitalize the Vols, LSU seemed to become more well-rounded after the Alabama game as well. I keep seeing where this may have been the best team in college history but I still think that is up for debate.

With all that being said, the talent shown by LSU this year was sometimes overshadowed by the way they acted when winning a game or after they won the game. Orgeron and his foul-mouthed tirade about Tuscaloosa being his house, Burrow and his self-ingratiating princess waive to the crowd and pointing to his ring finger before the Clemson game had ended left a bad taste in my mouth. By the time the ODB handing out cash thing happened, it didn't surprise me.

This was like a bunch of Cooters that struck it rich and didn't know how to conduct theselves like an established, elite power of college football. They acted as if they had daddy issues and guess who's been their daddy? I agree with Kirk's latest feelings but I have been saying it all along, Orgeron caught his lightning in a bottle and in the long run, it could actually work to LSU's detriment and Alabama's favor kind of like when Lester won his title. Corndogs will be Corndogs.

This LSU team, the 2019 version of LSU, was certainly a very good team and like all Championship teams, they had their fair share of breaks to get to the top of the mountain this year. They had close games with Alabama (the worst Alabama team when it came to self-inflicted mistakes I can remember an Alabama team since '06) the Barn and didn't put the Gators away until late.

Just like Tennessee capitalizing on their moral victory against Alabama which seem to revitalize the Vols, LSU seemed to become more well-rounded after the Alabama game as well. I keep seeing where this may have been the best team in college history but I still think that is up for debate.

With all that being said, the talent shown by LSU this year was sometimes overshadowed by the way they acted when winning a game or after they won the game. Orgeron and his foul-mouthed tirade about Tuscaloosa being his house, Burrow and his self-ingratiating princess waive to the crowd and pointing to his ring finger before the Clemson game had ended left a bad taste in my mouth. By the time the ODB handing out cash thing happened, it didn't surprise me.

This was like a bunch of Cooters that struck it rich and didn't know how to conduct theselves like an established, elite power of college football. They acted as if they had daddy issues and guess who's been their daddy? I agree with Kirk's latest feelings but I have been saying it all along, Orgeron caught his lightning in a bottle and in the long run, it could actually work to LSU's detriment and Alabama's favor kind of like when Lester won his title. Corndogs will be Corndogs.
Its LSU.....how would anyone expect anything different.....like at AU....
Its not changing of the guard in SECw .....takes more than one year to do that...
Just all same things were said about AU when they have a great season.....( well AU people say it anyway..)
Sustainable success isn’t proven in a dash....its proven in a marathon

As I said in other threads, I see a massively disappointing season coming their way. Aside from the players and coaches leaving, the general lack fo discipline will kill them. Coach O found a perfect storm and got it done, but there is no staying power in terms of elite status.

I see 9-3 if there are no NCAA or serious off the field issues. More likely 8-4 due to off the field issues. JMO

This year was an aberration Burrow having Brady come in was a perfect storm. With Brady and Aranda gone I see them back in the 9-3 to 8-4 type season.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Corndogs with 1-2 losses by the time we come to town in November. Ensminger had the title of OC, but anyone with half a brain knows that Brady was calling the shots. Ensminger didn’t become Bill Walsh/Don Coryell/Homer Smith in one season. He has been the OC for A LOT of average to slightly above average offenses. With Aranda out the door to Baylor, who fills those shoes? Got to get the talent in the right positions to make plays and then get the right call. 2019 was the season for all or broke!!!

What will Texas look like next year? I know Ehlinger is coming back, but what will he have around him. Herman has new OC/DC coming in as well.

I say that, to say this, second game of the season could get dicey real quick for the corn dogs. If (Had Colt Not Got Hurt) Texas has a decent team, they could set the wheels in motion.

They'll not be able to sustain their King of the Mountain position, imo. To sustain the ability to compete for championships, the team and coaching staff have to have a certain chemistry. Is Coach O is a sustainer or chemist? My guess is no.

Back
Top Bottom