| FTBL Now that the dust has somewhat settled at LSU, your thoughts on the Tiger program? Herbstreit flipped on the Tigers for the second time this season.

To me Bama beats them this year with their "best team ever" moniker with a healthy Tua. Almost did anyway with an unhealthy Tua and a substandard D. Yeah yeah I know if if.... I say this to say next year the corndogs will be back to more of the same.

Nothing will change my mind that LSU was the best team this past season. However, they are losing too much in key players, good players and coaches to be considered a frontrunner in 2020. IMO, I can easily see them losing three to four games.

Nothing will change my mind that LSU was the best team this past season. However, they are losing too much in key players, good players and coaches to be considered a frontrunner in 2020. IMO, I can easily see them losing three to four games.

Don't forget, LSU will have a target on their back as well. Defending CFB champion and all that. Everybody is going to want to be the first team to knock them off.

Yesterday, The Advocate reported Bo Pelini's name is in the mix for their new DC.

Not a bad choice IMO. He had several good years as the DC under Miles. Question is, how will he adapt with the RPO, HUNH offenses that are so prevalent now.

Not a bad choice IMO. He had several good years as the DC under Miles. Question is, how will he adapt with the RPO, HUNH offenses that are so prevalent now.
He took over Nebraska in 2008 and did fairly well. His defense against those teams in 2009 resulted in the Huskers having the #1 scoring defense in the nation. It got a little weird from there.

In 2010 they'd dropped to ninth; still a good defense. They were still in the Big12.
In 2011 they'd dropped to 42nd which was their first season in the B1G (a conference that was still smash mouth at the time.)
In 2012 they'd dropped to 58th.
In 2013 they had a resurgence to place 49th only to see them drop back to 60th in 2014.

In the latter part of his head coaching tenure his defenses were struggling against some of the more vanilla offensive styles in CFB. I wouldn't hold a lot of faith in his ability against what we're seeing now.

@TerryP . That's crazy how they fell off like that. Big Game Bob Stoops always surprised me. He had some vicious defenses he coached at Florida under Spurrier, and had some good D's he Co-DC with at K State. When he won the BCS in 2000, he had a pretty good defense. As the Big XII shifted, he did too, right along with it. I never understood that. You would think a defensive minded guy would understand that defense wins championships. That should have been the number one lesson he took from Spurrier. It wasn't until Spurrier hired him to coach a good defense that he won his lone BCS championship.

He took over Nebraska in 2008 and did fairly well. His defense against those teams in 2009 resulted in the Huskers having the #1 scoring defense in the nation. It got a little weird from there.

In 2010 they'd dropped to ninth; still a good defense. They were still in the Big12.
In 2011 they'd dropped to 42nd which was their first season in the B1G (a conference that was still smash mouth at the time.)
In 2012 they'd dropped to 58th.
In 2013 they had a resurgence to place 49th only to see them drop back to 60th in 2014.

In the latter part of his head coaching tenure his defenses were struggling against some of the more vanilla offensive styles in CFB. I wouldn't hold a lot of faith in his ability against what we're seeing now.

Mike Stoops in the early 2000s was beloved by OU fans (and for good reason), but when he went back to OU in 2012, the game had changed so much since 2003 that his tactics were useless. Coaches always have to be forward thinking.

I also think it's funny that when Venebles took over for OU's defense from 2004-2011, OU fans fucking hated him and thought he was shitty. I remember going on LandThieves back then, and there was always a thread bitching about how shitty Brent Venebles was.

No doubt lsu has lost a lot....but bama does evey year....
Lsu has recruited well....and the program always has been.....no QB...
Can they replace Burrow... wont be easy...
Can bama replace Tua...wont be easy

i'd say we already have. losing Tua meant that Mac had to step up. and i think he did a great job. plus, Tualia won't be so green this coming season.

Wow!! Finds lightning in a bottle for $7 million a year. The meltdown in BR will be of epic proportions in about 3 years when they slide back to winning 8-9 games a year. Brady more or less ran that offense with Ensminger taking the credit. We saw the kind of coordinator he was before. Who says it won't revert back to that which he knows best?
The poaching continues on the bayou!!!!

I didn’t realize analysts were able to recruit. Pretty sure only on-field COACHES are allowed to go on the road so I’m assuming he was a great on campus recruiter?

Regardless, no sympathy for LSU. Welcome to Bama problems. The state of Louisiana is loaded with talent and LSU has no in state rivals for top talent, not to mention loads of talent just across the state lines in Texas and Mississippi. Unlikely we beat LSU 7-8yrs in a row again anytime soon, but I still think they caught lightning in a bottle this year.

I didn’t realize analysts were able to recruit. Pretty sure only on-field COACHES are allowed to go on the road so I’m assuming he was a great on campus recruiter?

Regardless, no sympathy for LSU. Welcome to Bama problems. The state of Louisiana is loaded with talent and LSU has no in state rivals for top talent, not to mention loads of talent just across the state lines in Texas and Mississippi. Unlikely we beat LSU 7-8yrs in a row again anytime soon, but I still think they caught lightning in a bottle this year.

Hold my beer

Back
Top Bottom