| RECRUIT November update: The Tide's '18 class coming into shape

Coaches on the road:

Emil Ekiyor
, four-star offensive guard from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis, will have an in-home visit on Thursday with Alabama OL coach Brent Key and Nick Saban.

Alabama commitment Skyler DeLong, three-star punter from Nation Ford High School in Fort Mill, South Carolina, will take his official visit on December.

DeLong will enroll at Alabama in January.

Alabama HC Nick Saban and DBs coach Derrick Ansley had an in-home visit with Saivion Smith today.

Coach Saban also plans on stopping by IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida on Tuesday. Plenty of top talent on hand including Alabama commitments Stephon Wynn, Rivals100 defensive tackle from Trey Sanders, 2019 Rivals100 running back.

Ansley will see Nadab Joseph and Josh Jobe on Wednesday.

Ansley will also see Tyson Campbell and Patrick Surtain play in their game on Friday night.

Alabama Co-Defensive Coordinator Tosh Lupoi will have an in-home visit on Thursday with Penei Sewell, Rivals100 offensive tackle from Desert Hills High School in St. George, Utah.

Tosh will also visit Alabama commitment Cameron Latu, Rivals100 defensive end from East High School in Salt Lake City.

Nadab Joseph, Rivals100 cornerback from Norland High School in Miami, will have an in-home visit on Wednesday with Alabama. Derrick Ansley will meet with Joseph.

OC Brian Daboll had an in-home visit with Asa Martin, four-star running back from Austin High School in Decatur today.

Coach Pannunizo had an in-home visit yesterday with Crimson Tide commitment Jordan Davis, Rivals100 defensive end from Southwind High School in Memphis.

Ten Recruiting thoughts:

1. This is an interesting time of the year. The time when the coaching carousel changes a lot of things on the recruiting landscape.

-Some players decide to decommit because they have built a relationship with a coaching staff who has been fired. There is no hope for some for the school to get the prospect back in the class. He committed all because of his relationship with the staff.

-Some decide to decommit or potentially wait to see who is hired as the new head coach. OC/DC, position coaches, philosophy matters too. The school might hit a home run with the new hire. Maybe a coach is hired the player had a prior relationship at another school. It can help a program depending on who they select. It will give the recruit a reason to reconsider or decide to stick with their commitment. It can still come down to an intense recruiting battle.

-When a school fires its head coach or position coaches it also means hiring a coach from another school (sometimes from the NFL). Mario Cristobal was hired as the Co-OC at Oregon when Willie Taggert became the head coach. Billy Napier left Alabama to become the OC at Arizona State after Chip Lindsey was hired to become the OC at Auburn. Coaches, especially assistant coaches in Tuscaloosa, are going to receive job opportunities elsewhere.

On the flip side- Alabama hires a coordinator or position coach from elsewhere. Brian Daboll didn’t have any prior relationships with recruits, but players liked his time spent with the New England Patriots. Alabama has a list of targets for each position of who it will consider if any assistant coach takes a coaching position elsewhere.

-Now there are occasions when prospects who didn’t have offers from a school prior to the new staff arriving and end up receiving offers from the school. Maybe they were committed to the school where the coach was previously employed.

We saw some guys receive offers by Nick Saban when he took the job at Alabama in 2007. Players who were not previously offered by the previous staff- Josh Chapman, William Vlachos, Marquis Maze for example. Chapman and Vlachos did have a grayshirt offers.

Unfortunately, we also see players who no longer fit the philosophy of the new staff. We’ve seen it happen more at the quarterback position. This is where the early signing period becomes a factor for several recruits throughout the country who do not want to lose their position in the recruiting class.

There are many reasons why Alabama never seems to panic when it comes to recruiting. Nick Saban always says they are a week behind recruiting-wise when they play for the SEC Championships. Other programs are out on the road recruiting throughout the week and they are preparing for the game.

Well, two of your biggest rivals on the recruiting trail are playing in the game this weekend. Alabama doesn’t seem to miss a beat when it misses that extra week. Let's see how it benefits them now without making a return trip to Atlanta in 2017.

2. Jacob Copeland, four-star wide receiver from Escambia High School in Pensacola, announced his decommitment from Florida on Saturday night. The news happened shortly after the Iron Bowl. There has long been talk about a potential flip from the Gators to Alabama. Copeland only re-opened his recruitment. He did not commit to the Tide. This is an opportunity for the new coaching staff at Florida, with head coach Dan Mullen, to recruit Copeland. I am sure he will also wait to see who Mullen hires as assistants.

Mississippi State was not a finalist for Copeland when he made his decision. I don’t believe there is really any prior relationship. Expect Mullen to reach out to Copeland soon. He is a major target for the new staff. I still think Alabama is in great position with Copeland. As I mentioned, it’s tough to really know how things might shape out when new staffs are in place.

DPhTycGVAAEt5hQ.jpg

https://twitter.com/JCope1era/status/934589056813617152
Jacob Copeland @JCope1era

Leave your negative thoughts to yourself. God has a plan for me
2757.png
1f64f-1f3fe.png
1f4af.png

7:06 PM - Nov 25, 2017

3. A lot eyes have shifted to Bobby Brown, four-star defensive tackle from Lamar High School in Arlington, Texas, with the firing of Kevin Sumlin. Brown, Alabama’s No. 1 DT target, committed to the Aggies last month instead of the Crimson Tide. Brown will receive a visit from Alabama this week. He has been in communication with the Tide staff. It’s hard to say how much things will change with him especially if A&M can land a big name in the coaching world. I know there is some speculation he may consider a flip. I think Alabama will gauge his interest. Most believe he will stick with his commitment because he wants to remain close to home. Alabama will at least give it one more shot.

4. It looks like Asa Martin, four-star running back from Austin High School in Decatur, will take an official visit to Alabama on December 8 or December 15. Martin is pretty locked in with his commitment to Auburn especially after the Iron Bowl. There are some rumors regarding Auburn OC Chip Lindsey possibly getting a head coaching job elsewhere (South Alabama). Does that turn things for Martin? It’s hard to say. Alabama really likes Jerome Ford, three-star running back from Armwood High School in Seffner, Florida. I talked to a few different people on different sides in the last few days. All expect Ford to sign with Alabama as of now. I expect Martin to stick with Auburn.

5. I took what Michael Langston posted on the recruiting board on Sunday as very positive (for Alabama) in regards to Emory Jones, five-star quarterback from Heard County High School in Franklin, Georgia. Jones guided his team to another win in the playoffs and will march into the semi-finals (against Hapeville Charter) on Friday night. Jones is not going to focus much on recruiting until after he completes his senior season.

Jones was in Auburn on Saturday for the Iron Bowl. It was the second time he has visited Auburn in the last month. There really isn’t anyone I have spoken with who considers Auburn much of a contender. It’s Alabama or Ohio State at this point.

I’m not sure where Alabama turns if a miss on Jones. I know Alabama has been evaluating other quarterbacks and has plans to bring some in for official visits if Jones sticks with the Buckeyes. Jones has taken official visits to Alabama and Ohio State. Alabama believes it has a very good shot to flip him.

Alabama almost decided to push for Jarren Williams, four-star from Central Gwinnett High School in Lawrenceville, Georgia. Williams decommitted for a second time from Kentucky. Alabama decided not to jeopardize the chance it has with Jones to push for Williams. It seems Williams is now on the verge of committing to Miami.

6. Alabama commitment Vernon Jackson, three-star athlete from Boling High School in Texas, has scheduled an official visit to Texas on December 8. Jackson visited Texas a few weeks ago. I consider his commitment the shakiest of all the current Crimson Tide commitments.

Quay Walker, four-star linebacker from Crisp County High School in Cordele, Georgia, attended the Iron Bowl on Saturday as a guest of the Tigers. Auburn remains a strong conceder for the Tide commitment. Expect coaches to visit several Alabama commitments throughout the next few weeks. Utah had an in-home visit with Cameron Latu, four-star defensive end from Olympus High School in Salt Lake City, on Sunday evening. I do not think Alabama is in any danger of losing Latu.

7. All signs right now have Jaylen Waddle, Rivals100 wide receiver from Episcopal High School in Houston, inking with Alabama. Most believe his recruitment is down to Alabama and Oregon, but the Crimson Tide has a big lead over the Ducks. Alabama can really hit a home run here with Waddle and Copeland. Two of Alabama's overall targets.

We saw Seth Williams, four-star wide receiver from Paul W. Bryant High School in Cottondale, Alabama, announce his commitment to Auburn on Friday. No real surprise there. Others were higher on Alabama's recruiting board.

Alabama has commitments from Xavier Williams and Slade Bolden. In great shape to land Waddle and Copeland. Alabama wants to add a bigger receiver though. Justyn Ross, five-star from Central High School in Phenix City, remains a major target. Keep an eye on Joshua Moore, four-star wide receiver from Yoakum High School in Texas. Alabama has always been high on him. Moore remains committed to Nebraska. Interesting to see if he officially re-opens his recruitment soon. Alabama plans to visit Moore this week.

8. Luke Ford, Rivals100 tight end from Carterville High School in Illinois, took an official visit to Auburn this past weekend. Auburn is now in the top three for the nation's. No. 1 tight end along with Alabama and Georgia. Ford will take official visits to Alabama and Georgia before making a decision.

Alabama still appears in good shape with Dominick Anderson, four-star tight end from Arizona Western Community College in Yuma. Alabama will see him this week. Anderson was offered recently by USC (childhood favorite). I don't think it will really matter in the end. I expect him to choose Alabama.

9. A few other miscellaneous notes- Saivion Smith, four-star safety from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in Perkinston, took an official visit to Auburn this past weekend. Alabama is considered the heavy favorite for Smith.

- Josh Jobe, four-star cornerback from Cheshire Academy in Connecticut, will take an official visit to Alabama on December 15. This is Alabama's opportunity to flip the Miami commitment. Alabama has considered Jobe one of its top priority targets for a long time.

-Eyabi Anoma, Rivals100 defensive end from St. Francis High School in Baltimore, took an official visit to Michigan this past weekend. Alabama remains in good shape for him.

10. This is also the time of the year when coaches make decisions on who they really will focus their time and energy in recruiting these next two months before National Signing Day. Alabama has to hang on to its current recruiting class and go out and sign players who can make a difference in the program.

You have to sign the Jonathan Allen’s, the CJ Mosley’s, the Amari Cooper’s and Ryan Anderson’s. You have to get defensive linemen like Daron Payne and defensive backs like Minkah Fitzpatrick. You have to get great players and even better leaders. You have to get those Alpha Dogs. The ones who set the standard. Alabama’s freshman class was special. There are some guys in that group who are going to have remarkable careers in Tuscaloosa- Najee Harris, Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, Dylan Moses, Alex Leatherwod, Jedrick Wills, Chris Allen, LaBryan Ray, Tua Tagovailoa, etc.

Who joins that roster in the future? Time will tell. Alabama has to finish strong. Not just numbers. They have to close on future All-Americans and players who will join the elite company as names mentioned for years to come.

Emory Jones, Jerome Ford, Asa Martin, Jaylen Waddle, Jacob Copeland, Justyn Ross, Joshua Moore, Dominick Anderson, Luke Ford, Michael Parker, Penei Sewell, Nick Petit-Frere, Christian Barmore, Tyler Friday, Bobby Brown, Caleb Tremblay, Brenton Cox, Andres Fox, Eyabi Anoma, JJ Peterson, Brandon Kaho, KJ Henry, Tyson Campbell, Nadab Joseph, Josh Jobe, Saivion Smith, Patrick Surtain, Kelvin Joseph, Issac Taylor-Stuart

These are some of the top players Alabama will focus its time and energy prior to signing day. There are other players Alabama will see. Other players who are still receiving hard looks. New names will emerge. How? Maybe Alabama missed on a target, new evaluations, and some players just skyrocket during their senior season.

Stay tuned....

Alabama Recruiting Board | BamaInsider.com

Back
Top Bottom