| MBB/WBB šŸ€ No. 4/5 Alabama Routs Vanderbilt 101-44 in Largest SEC Victory in Program History

Agree with @TerryP about the dead legs! Nothing affects your overall game than having dead legs. Your jump shot suffers, you are a step slower to close out on a shooter, you have less explosion in your leap for a rebound.
I recall back in my HS days, my basketball coach was working the piss out of us the day before a big game. The end of season area tournament was starting the next week, so the explanation he gave for my question held no weight. We had scrimmaged for 30 minutes, drilled for another 45, and then were in the middle of conditioning when I asked ā€œWhat good is all of this going to do us tomorrow night?ā€ Coaches response, ā€œTo get you in to shape!ā€ In my usual smartass fashion I snapped back ā€œWell, if we arenā€™t in shape now then we sure as Hell wonā€™t be in shape by tomorrow! My legs are dead as are everyone elseā€™s!! We will get our ass run out of the gym!ā€ He told me to shut up and run! I ran, but I sure as Hell didnā€™t shut up! Another 20 minutes went by and it turned into an explosion in his office! In the end, we got our asses drug up and down the floor the next night and then lost in the semifinals of our area tournament the next week to conclude my HS basketball career! I was right!!šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Spot on! My senior year, playoffs, we had a hell of a basketball team. Ran the run and gun, we were all track and cross country guys in the off seasons. We have this team in north east AL in the next round. Sand mountain or something mountain. Coach tells us the elevation is going to cause us problems with our high tempo. So he runs us hard every day until that game. That killed us more than the elevation. We couldnā€™t get off the ground for rebounds, layups and definitely not for any dunks. Lost by about 18-20. Biggest margin of defeat weā€™d had in years.

I guess they play better when I watch :). That was an effort game. The loss and Oats got their attention. Can't sustain that but it points out when you give great effort on the defensive end good things happen.

Back
Top Bottom