| MBB/WBB šŸ€ No. 4/5 Alabama Routs Vanderbilt 101-44 in Largest SEC Victory in Program History

B

Bama News

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. ā€“ No. 4/5 Alabama men's basketball faces Vanderbilt at Coleman Coliseum on Monday (7:30 p.m. CT) as the Crimson Tide look to bounce back in its return to Southeastern Conference play. The Tide are off to one of their best starts in SEC play in program history, as the Tide looks to improve to 9-0 for the second time under Head Coach Nate Oats and second time since the 1956-66 season (Alabama finished the year with a perfect 14-0 record).

Over recent history the Commodores and Crimson Tide have played close ball games, with the last five contests (Alabama leads 3-2) decided by an average of 6.4 points. Alabama's Brandon Miller continues his historic season as the freshman is the only Division I player to score 400 points, record 170 rebounds and make 65 three-pointers this season.

The Broadcast​

Tuesday's game is set for a 7:30 p.m. CT tipoff and will be aired on the SEC Network with Mike Morgan (play-by-play), Daymeon Fishback (analyst) and Alyssa Lang (sideline) on the call.

The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play), Bryan Passink (analyst) and Roger Hoover (sideline) on the call, while Tom Stipe (engineer) is turning the dials. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

Be interesting to see how Bama starts this game.
I have a 'hope' Oats starts substituting early and we see the bench being credited for 40% or more of the scoring total. With the depth, there's 10 guys we're all intersted in seeing, right? Or is it 11 now? :rolleyes:

I haven't looked at the lines. I have a feeling it's going to be Bama favored by double digits ... translated, it's expected the Tide comes back strong back at home.

Other teams watch film too. As we have gotten into SEC play the teams are being extremely physical with us.. it's a copycat league.

They are face guarding/holding Brandon Miller with their best defender and double teaming him when needed. Which definitely has had an impact on our offensive flow. We have also gone cold from the three point line. Sears, Quinnerly, Clowney, Gurley and Welch have got to knock down some shots to take some pressure off of Miller. Not to mention Bradly and Burnette who can score too.

I also put some of the blame on Oats as he needs to scheme some half-court offense to take advantage of what everybody is doing to us.

We are very talented but young.. the other more senior teams are kind of trying to punk us by being overly physical.. we have adjusted yet but I am glad we are having to overcome it now rather than during the tourney.

We have also gone cold from the three point line. Sears, Quinnerly, Clowney, Gurley and Welch have got to knock down some shots to take some pressure off of Miller. Not to mention Bradly and Burnette who can score too.
For me, this is the biggest sign the team has been worn out. So much of a shot comes from below the waistā€”with "dead legs," everyone is off.

I actually look forward to tonight's matchup, despite our recent woes and history vs Vanderbilt. Oats stated multiple times in his press conference that the OU game woke them up. Sometimes that can be coaches speak, but Oats has always been straight forward. He hinted before the Mississippi State game that practice wasn't that intense. Yesterday, he said JQ was practicing very well. We also may see more minutes for Griffin and Pringle. Oats praised Griffin for his efforts in the OU game (probably our only bright spot in that train wreck) and gave hints towards others stepping up inside.

Also I hope this is the first game Clowney hits one from beyond the arc. Some of our fans think he shouldn't shoot it, but the only way to get out of a slump is to keep shooting it. It's obvious he can be a decent spot up shooter.

I am anxious to see how we respond after a bad performance on the road last Saturday. Hopefully, one of the coaches has shown the players how to defend a pick and roll. Hopefully, we do not give up 11 straight field goals. Hopefully, Vanderbilt does not take the game right at us in the paint because we have been manhandled inside with physical play. Tonight, we need to make a strong statement on both ends of the floor. If a kid is playing well, get him out and put someone in that wants to play and play hard.

I look for another struggle. We've lost our Mojo.

178eb3c4f421eec248cb229710b03787.jpg

Agree with @TerryP about the dead legs! Nothing affects your overall game than having dead legs. Your jump shot suffers, you are a step slower to close out on a shooter, you have less explosion in your leap for a rebound.
I recall back in my HS days, my basketball coach was working the piss out of us the day before a big game. The end of season area tournament was starting the next week, so the explanation he gave for my question held no weight. We had scrimmaged for 30 minutes, drilled for another 45, and then were in the middle of conditioning when I asked ā€œWhat good is all of this going to do us tomorrow night?ā€ Coaches response, ā€œTo get you in to shape!ā€ In my usual smartass fashion I snapped back ā€œWell, if we arenā€™t in shape now then we sure as Hell wonā€™t be in shape by tomorrow! My legs are dead as are everyone elseā€™s!! We will get our ass run out of the gym!ā€ He told me to shut up and run! I ran, but I sure as Hell didnā€™t shut up! Another 20 minutes went by and it turned into an explosion in his office! In the end, we got our asses drug up and down the floor the next night and then lost in the semifinals of our area tournament the next week to conclude my HS basketball career! I was right!!šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Back
Top Bottom