| MBB/WBB No. 18 Alabama Outlasts No. 1 North Carolina in Quadruple Overtime, 103-101

When UNC went on a 6-0 run, I thought for sure we'd fold. Sort of mirrored the UCLA game in the S16. Team fought back and closed out. This team has a lot of grit to not let turnovers and missed shots affect them on the other end. Bediako was definitely the hero yesterday. I thought we we would have won in regulation with Clowney playing.

Miller didn't have his best game, but he still made an impact. I think the next step in his game is to work on post moves. He is lacking when he gets inside the paint. He'll learn from it.

For those who didn't stay up to watch: UConn handled Iowa State. They look like a top five team in the country. If we're being real, UNC is definitely not the #1 team in the country. I'm not so sure they're even coached well. But they are probably a top 15 team. Michigan State is definitely a top 15 team, who will get better when healthy.

So we went 2-1 vs top 15 teams in a loaded tournament, with our lone loss coming to a UConn squad that looks top five. Not bad.

Quinerly is not helping right now, he’s been somewhat of a liability. I hope he gets it in gear, or else he needs to be at the end of the bench. This team is young and hungry, very exciting start to the year.

Quinerly is not helping right now, he’s been somewhat of a liability. I hope he gets it in gear, or else he needs to be at the end of the bench. This team is young and hungry, very exciting start to the year.
He scored 20+ points. He is also on two weeks back from knee rehab. Still alot of playing to get back into playing strength.

What did you think he did that did not help the team?

He scored 20+ points. He is also on two weeks back from knee rehab. Still alot of playing to get back into playing strength.

Yeah, gotta give the guy an opportunity to get over the mental hurdle of rehabing a serious knee injury. He's been a good player for us, so no need for our fans to turn on him or question his abilities.

He had a better game stat-wise, but his 5 turnovers mostly came at critical junctions in the game. I’m hopeful he improves the assist to turnover margin. 2022 he averaged 4 assists and 3 TOs per game, same average this year through his less playing time.

I think he’ll be critical to our success given his seniority, I just hope he can reduce his turnovers and his drives to the basket without a plan B if there’s no shot.

Yeah, gotta give the guy an opportunity to get over the mental hurdle of rehabing a serious knee injury. He's been a good player for us, so no need for our fans to turn on him or question his abilities.
Agree, not questioning his ability. He just made some poor turnovers and missed 18 shots. That hurt us when there were a number of hotter hands. Probably the most shooting attempts he’s taken in a game.

Agree, not questioning his ability. He just made some poor turnovers and missed 18 shots. That hurt us when there were a number of hotter hands. Probably the most shooting attempts he’s taken in a game.
I think the shooting will improve. Not sure about the turnovers he just plays so fast and takes it into areas that seem to be feast of famine. I do think there were several possessions that we had the last shot and we just dribbled for 25 seconds then drove and took a tough shot. That to me is something Oats has to teach. Move the ball please....

I do think there were several possessions that we had the last shot and we just dribbled for 25 seconds then drove and took a tough shot. That to me is something Oats has to teach. Move the ball please....
This right here is my only question with Oats. Our off ball movement when our first set doesn't materialize needs tweaking. Passing is always better than ISO ball with one man dribbling for 20+ seconds. For a style that wants to play fast, it'd be 10x better if he instilled this. But it also requires him to give less freedom to the players, which I think would be beneficial in late games.

This right here is my only question with Oats. Our off ball movement when our first set doesn't materialize needs tweaking. Passing is always better than ISO ball with one man dribbling for 20+ seconds. For a style that wants to play fast, it'd be 10x better if he instilled this. But it also requires him to give less freedom to the players, which I think would be beneficial in late games.
Another thing that was a staple for Oats offense was dribble, drive and kick out. I think people caught up with this and started defending the passing lanes which resulted in turnovers.

I am still concerned Oats system will hit a ceiling. Hope not but concerned about it. He can certainly recruit.

Michigan State got blown out vs Notre Dame. North Carolina lost @ Indiana last night.

Not sure how well that UNC loss is going to look. I don't think Hubert Davis is a good coach at all and his team caught fire late.

Michigan State got blown out vs Notre Dame. North Carolina lost @ Indiana last night.

Not sure how well that UNC loss is going to look. I don't think Hubert Davis is a good coach at all and his team caught fire late.

Are you talking about how well our win over UNC will look? I can almost guarantee it will look better than had we lost to UNC. ;) Either way, I remember that we almost always lose to UNC so that win was a fun one for me.

We have a lot of "barometer games" in the near future that will tell how good this team is with Gonzaga, Memphis and Houston and I think the Cougs are still pissed about last year's game in T-Town so that one will be a good one!

Are you talking about how well our win over UNC will look? I can almost guarantee it will look better than had we lost to UNC. ;) Either way, I remember that we almost always lose to UNC so that win was a fun one for me.

We have a lot of "barometer games" in the near future that will tell how good this team is with Gonzaga, Memphis and Houston and I think the Cougs are still pissed about last year's game in T-Town so that one will be a good one!
Shit I posted that before coffee. My apologies. Meant win.

Not sure how well that UNC win is going to look. I don't think Hubert Davis is a good coach at all and his team caught fire late.
It was at Indiana, but the Hoosier being 7-0 may be a little smoke and mirrors this early, their schedule has been really weak up until UNC.

Back
Top Bottom