| MBB/WBB No. 18/16 Alabama Dominates Jacksonville State in a 104-62 Win

I look at the box score. If it wasn't for the first half Bama may not had won? First half 32-22 second half 33-33? So what happen in the second did the guys just got out played?
View attachment 22575

It was 68-38 with 8 minutes left and Bama went cold, plus got sloppy with the ball. They only hit 2 FG's the rest of the game.

This team is very young and talented, long and fast. So many new faces I think it's going to take a little time for CNO to find his rotation and we still have JQ and D. Miles to figure in. It looks like they will rebound well. And where will the leadership come from? This will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Another 60+ rebounding game. Miller, Bediako, and Clowney are an absolute force on the boards. This game should never have been a 10-point game, but it can be used as a learning experience. First real road test too, because South Alabama is a lot tougher than some people think. Not NCAAT worthy, but still good enough to scare you. Good win, minus the sloppy turnovers. Oats kind of went after Gurley last night and stated that some of the turnovers he had was "low basketball IQ". Sums it up.

Once we gel more, the smoother the offense will look.

He has been, considering the hype surrounding him when he entered the transfer portal. But in his defense, effort is not the issue with him, and he's reportedly one of the more vocal leaders on the team. I really wonder if he's just a bad fit for the system.

CNO was spot on low basketball IQ and he is not a good 3 pt. shooter.

CNO was spot on low basketball IQ and he is not a good 3 pt. shooter.
Yet Oats was making the low IQ comment about him because he passed up a 3 pointer and drove the lane and got called for a charge. Oats does not consider the shooter if open you are supposed to shoot which to me is why his system is what it is. You better play defense to make it through the low percentage shots that will be shot. This struggling on offense and turnovers sounds very familiar. Only difference is defense is better and rebounding is much better. That may be enough to imrpove over last year. Very young team so they should improve.

Also Gonzaga came back and took down Michigan State 64-63. We will play both this year.

To me, Gonzaga is worse than expected and Michigan State is better than expected. Zags might get their brakes beaten off against Texas.
Since then, Michigan State has beaten Kentucky and Gonzaga did indeed get their shit pushed in by Texas.

I'm interested to who will defend Timme. He seems like he can get rattled when you play tight man on him. But he is also the kind of player that can draw a ton of fouls, and we know how they treat Alabama players.

Two major things Oats addressed: turnovers and players finding their role.

Turnovers I believe are always going to plague Oats' teams. Without looking it up, I believe his Buffalo teams always had issues with turnovers as well. It comes with the offensive freedom he gives his players (which is also a huge recruiting sell point). But with that, when the defense locks in, things can tend to fall a part with no alternative set + wanting to play fast. Oats is still fairly young in the head coaching department, but I think this is something you'll probably see him tweak in the future if he's not too stubborn to do so.

I rewatched the South Alabama game. Our spacing is improving every game. As Sears gains more confidence in this system, he's being able to drive the lanes and break defenses down. I thought his feed to Clowney was exactly what we need in a PG. Bradley is still trying to adjust the game IMO, but his potential is off the charts. He can definitely create his own shot.

Back
Top Bottom