| FTBL Nice Film study of UF/UA game

Weird off season there with Randolph appearing to be the favorite at RT.... Then of course the injury. But, he did play against Miami (just 1 snap), and has played in all 3 games. So if he's healthy enough to play and not getting snaps at RT, sure seems like that ship has sailed.

The Owens at RT thing seemed like a safe play, but with a chance to experiment and move forward this weekend, hopefully Latham and/or George get some live bullets. Aside from the general lack or dominance up front, IMO a huge issue is the inaccurate snapping to Bryce in the shotgun. He's handled it really well, but it only takes 1 bad one in a big moment to sink the ship...So if Owens can do that better, that would be great.

Regardless, it's nice that Dalcourt got his feet wet and as we move forward he more than capable... And Owens can basically play anywhere if/when needed. With the flexibility, now it's just time to find a high ceiling 5 that can mesh and improve quickly.
Ship hasn't sailed. we've only played 25 percent of the season already.

I know Latham has worked a lot with the 2's and they really like him, just needs more work in pass protection. I think he'd be the guy if Owens slides to center, but that's just a guess. I'm also not sure if Owens will make the move to center, but getting more reps certainly leads one to think some changes could happen (especially if he's ironed out the snap issues he was having in August). If I had to guess, the same 5 will start on Saturday, but some experimenting will happen later on.

Revisiting this:

I thought I saw Latham working as the #2 RG vs. USM, with Damien George at RT. Don't recall who filled out the other 2nd string spots.

This would indicate to me that Latham is not going to even contend to displace Owens as RT this year. George is the #2 RT. And at this point I doubt Owens is replaced this year.

Revisiting this:

I thought I saw Latham working as the #2 RG vs. USM, with Damien George at RT. Don't recall who filled out the other 2nd string spots.

This would indicate to me that Latham is not going to even contend to displace Owens as RT this year. George is the #2 RT. And at this point I doubt Owens is replaced this year.

You saw correctly. If Owens can handle it, I'm absolutely ok with it. He's a guy that needs to be in that starting 5 for reasons other than blocking.

You saw correctly. If Owens can handle it, I'm absolutely ok with it. He's a guy that needs to be in that starting 5 for reasons other than blocking.

Is Ekiyor coming back in 2022?

I wonder about the true frosh OT recruits - Latham and Brockermeyer were 5* guys. Alabama has hit on those guys in the past and had a bunch end up starting at least part of the year as a frosh - Cam Rob, Jonah, Leatherwood, Neal (LG as a frosh). Maybe they aren't at that level.

Now Tyler Booker and Pritchett are top OT recruits for 2022. We'll see who can find the starting roles at LT and RT next year. Big question mark at LT especially

Is Ekiyor coming back in 2022?

I wonder about the true frosh OT recruits - Latham and Brockermeyer were 5* guys. Alabama has hit on those guys in the past and had a bunch end up starting at least part of the year as a frosh - Cam Rob, Jonah, Leatherwood, Neal (LG as a frosh). Maybe they aren't at that level.

Now Tyler Booker and Pritchett are top OT recruits for 2022. We'll see who can find the starting roles at LT and RT next year. Big question mark at LT especially

Haven't heard anything on Ekiyor at this point on his plans.

When spring practice finished up the staff came away really impressed with both T. Brockermeyer (who got a lot of LT reps) and Latham. I think they still are based on some comments in fall camp.. I know they were in re: to Latham.

In particular, the right side of the Tide’s line—guard Emil Ekiyor and tackle Chris Owens — was brought up multiple times as one of Alabama’s biggest weaknesses on offense. “Both of those guys are suspect,” one coach said.

Aside from preseason All-American left tackle Evan Neal, it seems like Alabama’s best offensive lineman has been sophomore left guard Javion Cohen. Two SEC staffers brought up Cohen, a former four-star recruit from Phenix City (Ala.) Central, and raved about his play through the early portion of the season. “The left side of their line is elite,” one said. “Evan Neal’s the best offensive lineman in the country and should be the top offensive lineman drafted. And this left guard they have (Cohen) is a freak show. He’s incredible. He’s still a young player, but he’s really good.”

Back
Top Bottom