| FTBL Nice Film study of UF/UA game

94 Grad

From a UF site, but a great film study of the game. After watching, our oline on the right side sucks. We have some serious issues on Oline and Young seem to be often caught in his 1st read... although there was a lot of pressure so I'm sure he wasn't confident in his oline's abilities to let me progress to other reads. Lots of work to get better.

Last edited:
I don't expect Owens to stick at RT. RG is overcompenstating for RT side. I expect to see Randolph there either this week or soon. Owens could either move back to Center or be the 6th man

I don't see Randolph taking that spot.

In fact, Randolph wearing #85 and playing as a 6th OL/TE has been a key element of the massively successful offense the past 2 years.

If anyone takes RT, it should be JC Latham. IMO

I don't see Randolph taking that spot.

In fact, Randolph wearing #85 and playing as a 6th OL/TE has been a key element of the massively successful offense the past 2 years.

If anyone takes RT, it should be JC Latham. IMO
Randolph was listed as the starting RT on the 1st depth chart... I think he ended up getting dinged up just prior to the game start and didn't make that start if I recall correclty.

Was there a depth chart for the UF game? I don't remember seeing it.

It appears (could change) that Bama may have missed on Tanner Bowles, Pierce Quick, Tommy Brown, and Amari Knight evaluations. Perhaps they will be late bloomers...

I have seen others say that Tommy Brown looks the part at OG when he gets some snaps. May not be a lost cause yet.

I don't see Bowles or Kight every starting. The freshmen RTs will pass Kight - Latham already has I believe.

Randolph was leading at RT for long time before he got hurt.

I know that was what was coming out of fall camp, but they do a lot of experimenting in fall camp. And Saban doesn't usually put True frosh at #1 on the depth chart until it's way beyond obvious they are better than the rest.

My question I suppose is whether the offensive staff is willing to take Randolph out of a position in which he has been incredibly valuable in 2020 to now, to start at RT when he's not an elite RT. How much does the offense gain, and what is the sacrifice?

I know that was what was coming out of fall camp, but they do a lot of experimenting in fall camp. And Saban doesn't usually put True frosh at #1 on the depth chart until it's way beyond obvious they are better than the rest.

My question I suppose is whether the offensive staff is willing to take Randolph out of a position in which he has been incredibly valuable in 2020 to now, to start at RT when he's not an elite RT. How much does the offense gain, and what is the sacrifice?
how often has he been used at TE this year? I don't recall him playing many, if any meaningful snaps.

how often has he been used at TE this year? I don't recall him playing many, if any meaningful snaps.

Regularly. It's been a mainstay personnel grouping since Sark last year. Gives you a 6th OL but he wears a TE #. They can also use him as a 2nd TE in 12 personnel.

I'd look his use as one method they could do to get the run game going, or to milk clock during games they have a lead.

Regularly. It's been a mainstay personnel grouping since Sark last year. Gives you a 6th OL but he wears a TE #. They can also use him as a 2nd TE in 12 personnel.

I'd look his use as one method they could do to get the run game going, or to milk clock during games they have a lead.
I understand he was used there a lot last year... but I have not seen him used much if at all in any meaningful plays THIS year.

Does that mean Latham is next guy up at RT? Is Damien George in the mix at all with Latham if they moved Owens back to C?

I know Latham has worked a lot with the 2's and they really like him, just needs more work in pass protection. I think he'd be the guy if Owens slides to center, but that's just a guess. I'm also not sure if Owens will make the move to center, but getting more reps certainly leads one to think some changes could happen (especially if he's ironed out the snap issues he was having in August). If I had to guess, the same 5 will start on Saturday, but some experimenting will happen later on.

I know Latham has worked a lot with the 2's and they really like him, just needs more work in pass protection. I think he'd be the guy if Owens slides to center, but that's just a guess. I'm also not sure if Owens will make the move to center, but getting more reps certainly leads one to think some changes could happen (especially if he's ironed out the snap issues he was having in August). If I had to guess, the same 5 will start on Saturday, but some experimenting will happen later on.

If anything, he's big enough to hold a guy up long enough for Bryce to make a play. Sheesh, two 6'7 tackles anchoring both sides of the line?

Randolph was leading at RT for long time before he got hurt.
Weird off season there with Randolph appearing to be the favorite at RT.... Then of course the injury. But, he did play against Miami (just 1 snap), and has played in all 3 games. So if he's healthy enough to play and not getting snaps at RT, sure seems like that ship has sailed.

The Owens at RT thing seemed like a safe play, but with a chance to experiment and move forward this weekend, hopefully Latham and/or George get some live bullets. Aside from the general lack or dominance up front, IMO a huge issue is the inaccurate snapping to Bryce in the shotgun. He's handled it really well, but it only takes 1 bad one in a big moment to sink the ship...So if Owens can do that better, that would be great.

Regardless, it's nice that Dalcourt got his feet wet and as we move forward he more than capable... And Owens can basically play anywhere if/when needed. With the flexibility, now it's just time to find a high ceiling 5 that can mesh and improve quickly.

Back
Top Bottom