| FTBL NCAA penalites don't impact W/L records?

TerryP

Staff
After seeing the NCAA is actually listening to people like this definitely puts yet another nail in the coffin that they are absolutely clueless at times.

WASHINGTON -- The "major penalties" imposed on college football teams who violate NCAA rules -- including TV and bowl bans and scholarship reductions -- have no impact on the teams' won-lost records, a researcher told the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics on Tuesday.

There was no statistical difference in on-field performance between the five years prior to the NCAA penalties and the five years following them, said Chad McEvoy, coordinator of the sports management program at Illinois State University.

Even as the penalties increase in severity -- the loss of 10 scholarships versus the loss of five, for instance -- the penalized teams lose no more games, he noted.

McEvoy said his research indicates that the penalties are not effective in discouraging cheating in college football programs.

"If the NCAA's penalties do not decrease performance, and the severity of the penalties does not relate to the magnitude of that decreased performance, it seems unlikely that the NCAA's penalty structure has any real value as a deterrent," his report concluded.

Here's the article

Considering the 90's...I'll look at the '00 probation years later.

52-10-1 5 years before probation
31-28-0 5 years after probation.

Geez, what a freakin' idiot.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
what was Miamis record 5 years prior an after?

Not as bad as ours. They only had one bad season (5-6) and were back in the 9 win range within 2 years of the probation being handed down in '95.

Big difference? DuBose vs Davis for one...

TerryP said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:
what was Miamis record 5 years prior an after?

Not as bad as ours. They only had one bad season (5-6) and were back in the 9 win range within 2 years of the probation being handed down in '95.

Big difference? DuBose vs Davis for one...

Ugh I hate hearing that name, especially when it comes to the Alabama program. DuBose is a turd lol

My thousandth post and I worked in the word turd

/breakdance

With what data points? looking the year before and the year after, they may be right.

Looking the three years before and look again at years 3-5 post ban, then call me in the morning.

TerryP said:
After seeing the NCAA is actually listening to people like this definitely puts yet another nail in the coffin that they are absolutely clueless at times.

WASHINGTON -- The "major penalties" imposed on college football teams who violate NCAA rules -- including TV and bowl bans and scholarship reductions -- have no impact on the teams' won-lost records, a researcher told the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics on Tuesday.

There was no statistical difference in on-field performance between the five years prior to the NCAA penalties and the five years following them, said Chad McEvoy, coordinator of the sports management program at Illinois State University.

Even as the penalties increase in severity -- the loss of 10 scholarships versus the loss of five, for instance -- the penalized teams lose no more games, he noted.

McEvoy said his research indicates that the penalties are not effective in discouraging cheating in college football programs.

"If the NCAA's penalties do not decrease performance, and the severity of the penalties does not relate to the magnitude of that decreased performance, it seems unlikely that the NCAA's penalty structure has any real value as a deterrent," his report concluded.

Here's the article
Tell that to SMU! What a joke

Back
Top Bottom