| FTBL Most delusional fan bases in college sports

PhillyGirl

http://collegespun.com/national/the-10-most-delusional-fan-bases-in-college-sports

Too much text so I left 'Bama and the top 3. Thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. South Carolina Football Fans:

9. Michigan Football Fans:

8. UCLA Basketball Fans:

7. Alabama Football Fans:

Is ‘Bama currently the best program in college football? Yes, obviously – the Tide has won three national championships in the past five years. But if you ask fans of the Crimson Tide “who is the best program of the last 25 years?” most would say Alabama. People forget that between 1997 and 2007, Alabama had eight seasons where they lost at least five games; often more than that.

Would you believe that in the past 32 seasons, Alabama has only won the SEC title five times?

Tide fans act like their team has been the greatest in college football year after year despite the numbers proving otherwise. Not to mention their fans now genuinely believe that they will win the national championship every fall. Such expectations are simply unrealistic.

6. Syracuse Basketball Fans:

5. Oregon Football Fans:

4. Indiana Basketball Fans:

3. Arkansas Football Fans:

Despite all evidence to the contrary, Razorbacks’ fans are quite vocal about their program’s prestige. They take pride in being in the SEC, the best conference in the land, and consider themselves one of the better programs in the nation…for some reason. In the last decade, they’ve only reached the postseason five times. They’ve never even won an SEC championship, much less come close to winning a national championship since joining the league. The only title the Razorbacks claim is from way back in 1964.

Since 2004, they’re averaging a marginal 6.8 wins-per-season. They also went 0-8 in the SEC last year. No respectable program should ever do that, regardless of coaching changes. How Arkansas fans can brag about anything is astonishing. The SEC is undoubtedly the best conference in the nation, but Razorbacks fans can’t really claim that their program is contributing to that fact.

2. Kentucky Basketball Fans:

The Wildcats are one of the most successful programs in college basketball history and are currently one of the top schools that high school stars want to play for in the nation. Year after year, they reload talent and put one of the best products in all of college basketball on the floor. But, their fans have quite unreasonable expectations.

Literally every year, their fans believe that the Wildcats will win it all; starting all freshmen or not. That’s just not possible, regardless of what 2012 taught us. Wildcats fans don’t want to hear that. Not only are they obsessed with winning the national championship every year, they consider Kentucky to be by far the greatest program in college basketball history. UCLA has 11 national titles – three more than UK. Wildcats fans will point out that most of those came in a different era – even though the same can be said about the majority of Kentucky’s.

There is no room for debate in the mind’s of Kentucky fans and that type of closed-minded thinking is inherently flawed.

1. Notre Dame Football Fans:

Is there a more overrated team in all of sports? Over the last 20 years, the Fighting Irish are a woeful 3-10 in the most important games of them all — bowl games. Plus, they posted an 0-4 record in BCS bowl contests, including a 42-14 whooping at the hands of Alabama in the 2012 BCS title game. They haven’t won a national title since 1988.

Despite these blatant facts, Notre Dame fans still consider the Fighting Irish to be an elite program. Need more proof? Notre Dame has only two 10-win seasons since 1994. Northwestern also has two 10-win seasons since 1994. That’s all you need to know.

The fans of the Fighting Irish are as delusional as any in all of college sports. They view their team as an elite and respected program even though they have had relatively no real success for an entire generation. Obviously Notre Dame has an extensive history, one of the grandest in all of college football, but that history is buried deep in the past. But good luck getting any Fighting Irish fans to admit that.

I think most knowledgeable Alabama fans know that we haven't been the best program over the past 25 years. I get tired of blabbering fools like this one insinuating otherwise. Over the history of the program, we are one of the best traditions in all of college football, at least, I would argue. In the past 32 years, we have won only 5 SEC Championships? So what? We still have more of those than any other program in the SEC so there is reason BAMA fans have pride in their program.

"Tide fans act....." Whatever dude. Do some fans have a higher level of expectation than what's logical? Yes but so does every other fan base that I have been around. Living in GA, you would have thought the Bulldogs would have won the MNC at least one more time since 1980 (34 years) but that has obviously not been the case. The writer is a pinhead.

Okay, I am calling major bull shit here. No Georgia and no barn? Barner fans constantly scream how they don't have a massive inferiority complex, yet all they do is constantly obsess with Alabama and find stupid statistics like "your record against 9+ win teams is dismal". They believe they're morally superior than everyone, they think luck has never played a part in any of their wins, and even right now they think Gus is the best HC in CFB.

Georgia should be #1, plain and simple. There's plenty of stuff you can say about us, but my god until you hear a Georgia fan talk, you'll know immediately what the hell is wrong with them.

Other fan bases who should definitely get an honorable mention: Aggies, LSU, Ohio State (most obnoxious), and USC.

I’m calling major bullshit on this too. The University of Georgia should be in the Top 3 here. After going to the National Championship game against Notre Dame I can definitely agree with them being #1. The fact that they act so entitled and like they’re holier than everyone else is just plain pathetic. I’d say 1% of their fans were genuine people, but the rest were straight dumbasses. I don’t care how good their academics are, because they showed just how stupid and delusional they could be. On top of that, I wouldn’t say 25% of the people there actually went to Notre Dame. I wouldn’t bring that up until half of them kept calling us trailer park inbred rednecks that have no education, so of course that pissed me off and got me rolling with them on that front. We got the better of them that night, so I rest my case.
Georgia fans are something else buddy. I have never heard of a team winning so many preseason National Championships than Georgia. Their fans think they’re god’s gift to the world and that they can’t be touched. Their campus is probably the most beautiful in the entire country, I can agree with that, but their football program is so underachieving it would be fired from any job with performances like they give on a yearly basis. The starting running back is always the next Herschel, their recruiting class is top notch while everyone else gets their scraps, and most of their fans only care about the football team and none of the other sports. When I was in school and had friends at Georgia half the students at the games didn’t even know the player’s names and who they were playing, they only went to look cool and get drunk. To me, that’s as delusional as it gets, but I’ll allow Notre Dame to hold them off here.

Back
Top Bottom