| FTBL Monday, 9-22: Practice report and video (must see)

alagator said:
Kc said:
Gotta love it.

Head coach did something similar to us before a big game. He didn't use words. Tuesday we received a black wreath with all our names on it. It said it was from the other team. It got us fired up. We beat the snot out of a team that was favored over us by two touchdowns.
My Freshman year (HS) an arch rival pulled a similar trick.

Their coaching staff send their own team a black wreath supposedly from our team in an effort to fire them up. Both teams were undefeated (9-0) at the time and why their coaches felt such motivation was needed was telling, but not important to this story.

They defeated us by two points in a late October rain when with less than two minutes in the game our center had the ball slip out of his hands on a snap and the resulting chase had them pick up the ball and run it in for a score.

Meaning, the message 'we sent' with the wreath was not really determinant in the outcome.

Well, after the game some on their team busted open our locker room door and threw the wreath 'we sent' them in and had some comments about what we could do with it.

(As an aside, we beat them up so badly they lost their next two games while we did not lose again until the state championship game.)

About the only thing we did with the wreath was keep it for the next three years and each game week with this team we would post it on our locker room door and take it to the sidelines during the game. We defeated this team the rest of my HS career - each of the next two years ruining their undefeated seasons (twice we were undefeated also).

I can understand a 16-, or 17-, or 18-year old HS kid coming up with such a juvenile motivation ploy, especially if his team was a marginal squad facing a big game. But for a Coach with a team annually full of talent to pull such a prank is not becoming.

Word.

Video is still there...but edited. You can bet videos will be monitored even harder now. Still love the message. Wear all the black you want...still gotta play consistent/fundamental football to win. RTR.

Great story alagator

My Freshman year (HS) an arch rival pulled a similar trick.

Their coaching staff send their own team a black wreath supposedly from our team in an effort to fire them up. Both teams were undefeated (9-0) at the time and why their coaches felt such motivation was needed was telling, but not important to this story.

They defeated us by two points in a late October rain when with less than two minutes in the game our center had the ball slip out of his hands on a snap and the resulting chase had them pick up the ball and run it in for a score.

Meaning, the message 'we sent' with the wreath was not really determinant in the outcome.

Well, after the game some on their team busted open our locker room door and threw the wreath 'we sent' them in and had some comments about what we could do with it.

(As an aside, we beat them up so badly they lost their next two games while we did not lose again until the state championship game.)

About the only thing we did with the wreath was keep it for the next three years and each game week with this team we would post it on our locker room door and take it to the sidelines during the game. We defeated this team the rest of my HS career - each of the next two years ruining their undefeated seasons (twice we were undefeated also).

I can understand a 16-, or 17-, or 18-year old HS kid coming up with such a juvenile motivation ploy, especially if his team was a marginal squad facing a big game. But for a Coach with a team annually full of talent to pull such a prank is not becoming.

and yes the black out thing is stupid imo...like Penn St white outs...just play football. Get it done on the field.

the_rolltide said:
aMAZEnFan said:
The video is gone now!!!! WOW, word must have gotten to Saban that this thing is circulating all over the internet.

NOTHING ESCAPES YOUTUBE!!!

Actually plenty escapes youtube. However nothing escapes your browser history and flv files :D

I'm going to go ahead and either predict no more video/audio at practices, or closed practices all together from this point forward. Closed would be fine with me, simply because it would hurt the feelings of the media.

Porter said:
I'm going to go ahead and either predict no more video/audio at practices, or closed practices all together from this point forward. Closed would be fine with me, simply because it would hurt the feelings of the media.

It's not like they will be losing much. I say shut it all down.

Back
Top Bottom