| FTBL Milroe/Simpson

I was referring to QB play/productivity not how the team does. The team hopefully will be improved with better running game and defense but the QB postions I do not see at the BY level. Obviously these kids are talented but not BY talented as a QB. Hope I am wrong. We have won NC's with good QB's so here is hoping that is the same this year.

No one has been Bryce Young talented. Even as good as Tua was he was not Bryce Young talented. Probably best to not hold anyone to that standard because it will not be met anytime soon.

If that happens we're likely looking at the announcement coming during, or after, football season. We won't know who the starting QB will be after spring camp. I'm leaning towards the idea we won't know until the third or fourth game of the season.

The spring transfer window closes on the 30th.
The thing is one thing we've known is that in each Qbs we've had.... They all had injuries that was between 2 and 3 games. So I would lend toward December. It doesn't do good to transfer else where knowing you won't see playing time not knowing playbook.

If that happens we're likely looking at the announcement coming during, or after, the football season. We won't know who the starting QB will be after spring camp. I'm leaning towards the idea we won't know until the third or fourth game of the season.

The spring transfer window closes on the 30th.
Better know by game 2...Texas coming to town

Better know by game 2...Texas coming to town
Texas, where things are said to be bigger ... evidently includes opposing fans impressions.

I haven't seen or heard anything that leads me to believe that staff and locker room are in any better shape than they were last year at this time (and the fall) when they had players quitting during practices. Bo Davis wants out which speaks volumes for how that staff is "meshing."

As of today ...

I wouldn't be too worried about Simpson starting versus Texas. One of his main issues is his inability to read defenses and Texas isn't going to throw a lot of exotic looks at Bama. I'm of the impression he's "thinking too much," confusing himself at times versus just playing football. What I found crazy when coming to that opinion is it was shared by an NFL scout as well as a guy who is just a "casual." Others have said the same.

For your TLDR: "he's trying to be Greg when he just needs to be Jake."

If it's Milroe, the offense is losing a third of the field in the passing game. He's been okay on shorter out routes. The inability to attack the middle of the field is worrisome. With him, I've got the opinion he needs a "Zow, Florida, '99" type of game to break a confidence barrier.

As much as fans may want the QB spot settled by game two, what's Middle Tennessee going to tell you? By the accounts I've collected I believe we/they need to see live game reps. More than one.

As a football fan I don't mind seeing a decision on a QB made based on the number of mistakes versus the number of big plays. As you may have noticed, I'm pretty big on stats like TD:INT. 🙃

Saw some chatters on Miami QB potentially looking at Alabama as transfer spot. This is just a rumor, and nothing to back it up at this moment.
This late in the game? I'd be hard pressed to think Saban would be looking for a transfer QB at the end of spring practice. If he was, we'd have heard a lot more rumblings about being unhappy with the QB play by now.

This late in the game? I'd be hard pressed to think Saban would be looking for a transfer QB at the end of spring practice. If he was, we'd have heard a lot more rumblings about being unhappy with the QB play by now.
@Brandon Van de Graaff did mention back in December that It's possible Bama will look at Qbs in transfer portal after spring. Yesterday Saban said that they would look at portal to see if anything can fits their needs for whatever it is.

@Brandon Van de Graaff did mention back in December that It's possible Bama will look at Qbs in transfer portal after spring. Yesterday Saban said that they would look at portal to see if anything can fits their needs for whatever it is.
He said that but let's remember we were also expecting more separation between the two quarterbacks, a likely starter being realized, and one of those two hitting the portal.

How it's played out this spring hasn't led to that: neither Ty or Milroe know who the starter is going to be in the fall.

Yea, that was before practice in Spring, but since then, we've heard good things from both QBs. They aren't looking to add another QB to the mix that I know of. I called for the TE transfer (Dippre) which everyone told me I was off my rocker about, but I don't see us adding a QB unless something drastic changes/happens with the QB room. They like the Freshman this year too, so I don't even see them taking on a transfer for the back-up/future.

Milroe was rumored to be transferring before spring also, but that never happened. Some of these rumors are just rumors, I won't see fire until I see the smoke first.

Yea, that was before practice in Spring, but since then, we've heard good things from both QBs. They aren't looking to add another QB to the mix that I know of. I called for the TE transfer (Dippre) which everyone told me I was off my rocker about, but I don't see us adding a QB unless something drastic changes/happens with the QB room. They like the Freshman this year too, so I don't even see them taking on a transfer for the back-up/future.

Milroe was rumored to be transferring before spring also, but that never happened. Some of these rumors are just rumors, I won't see fire until I see the smoke first.
1. Of Course Saban is going to say good things about QBs. Why wouldn't he not do that?
2. How do you know they aren't looking to add another QB?
3. Freshmen QBs aren't ready to play this year. Saban is looking for a QB that can play immediately... and can help us win games.

4. Where did you get that rumor about Milroe rumored to transfer? Thats only if he didn't win the job. It was speculation at most.

1. Of Course Saban is going to say good things about QBs. Why wouldn't he not do that?
2. How do you know they aren't looking to add another QB?
3. Freshmen QBs aren't ready to play this year. Saban is looking for a QB that can play immediately... and can help us win games.

4. Where did you get that rumor about Milroe rumored to transfer? Thats only if he didn't win the job. It was speculation at most.
1-3) Saban won't outright call out a QB, but he definitely won't say good things about them if they're not performing to his expectations. Read between the lines on that one. A lot of the scuttlebutt out of practices from @TerryP @Kirk Van de Graaff and @Brandon Van de Graaff have shared some of their insight on these topics. Just ask anyone around the program or who knows people around the program. The coaches/staff are impressed with the Freshman this year and believe they would serve as a good back-up option if something were to happen. They'd much rather keep Milroe AND Simpson but with the new transfer rules I don't think that will be an option this year. If they were looking to add a transfer and things weren't going well, we would've seen some smoke already.

#4) | FTBL - Alabama Football Quarterback Jalen Milroe Projected to Transfer to 2022 College Football Playoff Team - Speculation as you put it, much like the speculation/rumors of a transfer QB coming out of nowhere to take the starting job, during fall camp? If we were in such dire straights we'd have heard about it by now my friend.

Terry laid it out there, but yes, there was an expectation within the program that either Milroe or Simpson would transfer out before the season (possibly after spring practice). You'll never hear this publicly, but the overall belief at the conclusion of last season was that Simpson would make his move this spring and emerge as the clear cut top guy... but, that hasn't happened... and IMO, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If, IF, a top QB (and I'm talking elite) came available with interest in UA, obviously Bama would be interested as well. Business runs both ways these days, more than ever before. But, I don't expect that to happen at this point. Terry and I both I think are on the same page in that we believe Saban will do Saban things and keep the battle going well into fall camp. Ultimately, the starter will be the guy that makes the fewest mistakes but also has earned the most confidence from the staff... and to an extent, from his teammates. Back to the portal, I could absolutely see a scenario where Bama still takes a QB at some point before fall camp with the understanding that he's going to be a backup... similar to what Saban was doing when he tried to bring in Gardner Minshew (before Mike Leach* swooped in).

*still miss him and I'm not ready for college football without him.

How it's played out this spring hasn't led to that: neither Ty or Milroe know who the starter is going to be in the fall.

Unless it is much more obvious to the team/players than what the public sees/knows. Not saying this is the case, but those guys should have a good feeling as to where they stand by their own performances. There MAY be more separation then we actually know about.

Looking forward to seeing Saturday for sure... won't mean a ton, but will be fun non-the-less.

Terry laid it out there, but yes, there was an expectation within the program that either Milroe or Simpson would transfer out before the season (possibly after spring practice). You'll never hear this publicly, but the overall belief at the conclusion of last season was that Simpson would make his move this spring and emerge as the clear cut top guy... but, that hasn't happened... and IMO, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If, IF, a top QB (and I'm talking elite) came available with interest in UA, obviously Bama would be interested as well. Business runs both ways these days, more than ever before. But, I don't expect that to happen at this point. Terry and I both I think are on the same page in that we believe Saban will do Saban things and keep the battle going well into fall camp. Ultimately, the starter will be the guy that makes the fewest mistakes but also has earned the most confidence from the staff... and to an extent, from his teammates. Back to the portal, I could absolutely see a scenario where Bama still takes a QB at some point before fall camp with the understanding that he's going to be a backup... similar to what Saban was doing when he tried to bring in Gardner Minshew (before Mike Leach* swooped in).

*still miss him and I'm not ready for college football without him.
Yea, the issue stands, there's not enough separation between the two currently to say "this guy is our starter day 1 of the season and fall camp" things may even change during fall or summer. We may have a Bateman/Barnett/Hurts situation. We've not had a transfer QB that got any meaningful reps from Bama since Coker or even before that I'm aware of. Hell Coker struggled and lost the job to Cooper Bateman during the season and then took back over after the fiasco of the Ole Miss game. After that, he won the hearts of the team/fans and stayed as the starter until the end of the season. He's the only successful transfer QB that I know of (Maybe others know of some I'm forgetting) in Bama history. The difference being, Coker had 1 whole year to learn the system and get acclimated.

Not sure someone wants to burn a free transfer just to be a back-up QB at Bama, knowing he'd have to compete against incoming talent and current roster talent at the position. They're likely looking, like many people who transfer away from Bama, for a starting position on a team that desperately needs a solid QB and has a very weak room.

Resurrecting this thread...

Is Milroe eligible for the draft? If so, any chance he goes?
If Milroe declares, Simpson would be a lock to stay, I'd think.
Simpson has appeared is six games, so he's down a year in eligibility.
I've got to think that a post-season discussion with Simpson would be a commitment to use him as much as we could.

Back
Top Bottom