| FTBL Milroe/Simpson

We all need to be ready for a big step back at QB. Not that these guys will not be good but they will not be Heisman Trophy good. BY could put the team on his back and did numerous times. Also just lack of experience will show up with some up and down games. It will be absolutely vital that the running game and the Defense improves significanlty if we are going to be in the playoffs.
Depending on him to carry the team on his back is probably why the squad struggled in big road games. As you noted, the idea is to have a better run game and defense so the team is more consistent in those big games, particularly on the road. Not counting on gaudy QB performances to squeek out close games would be a nice change!

Last edited:
As a caveat, this really only seems to relate to the QB. Most of the other positions seem to get good PT in mop up duty. I think it is more to the position they play as opposed to the time that they get into the game. IE, safeties, DB's get good playing time because the opposing team is down and throwing the ball a lot in order to try and score quickly.
Where has this left us as fans?

Greg didn't get a lot of reps backing up JPW; we saw Bama win a title in his first season starting in '09. AJ didn't get a lot of reps backing up Greg and in his first season starting?

Blake came in with little experience and won a SEC title, lost in the semi-finals. Jake backed him up that season (six games played) and won a title in his first year starting.

Jalen was a true freshman. He's an outlier but he was a part of the title we enjoyed in '17.

Tua had the same type of experience as Jake in his first season and like Blake won a SEC title in his first season only to lose in the title game.

We saw more of Mac when Tua went down ... and in his first season, the 2020 title.

Bryce in his first season; SEC title and a loss in the title game.

It hasn't worked out too badly over the years, eh?

Fully expect to see a good dose of both QB's this year. Not sure if that means always in the same game or in different parts of the season, but both have the tools to help the Good Guys win.

I def give Simpson the better chance of being the full time #1 though. Milroe brings some "unknown" and excitement, which could be great. But Simpson has a chance to be more consistent with the mechanics. JMO
This reminds me of the competition between Sims and Coker in 2014. Lot of people had Coker pegged as a starter. Sims won out in the end.

Both will succeed. Both will play this season. One will play in mop up game, but I get a feeling if Simpson wins, Milroe will still play and probably have a limited package to showcase his talents.

We all need to be ready for a big step back at QB. Not that these guys will not be good but they will not be Heisman Trophy good. BY could put the team on his back and did numerous times. Also just lack of experience will show up with some up and down games. It will be absolutely vital that the running game and the Defense improves significanlty if we are going to be in the playoffs.

That's been said for years though. Won a Natty with Coker, Hurts for most of the year, and Mac Jones, all times we thought a big step back was coming. Prep and acumen, sure, but athletically, ability, surrounding support, no.

Where has this left us as fans?

Greg didn't get a lot of reps backing up JPW; we saw Bama win a title in his first season starting in '09. AJ didn't get a lot of reps backing up Greg and in his first season starting?

Blake came in with little experience and won a SEC title, lost in the semi-finals. Jake backed him up that season (six games played) and won a title in his first year starting.

Jalen was a true freshman. He's an outlier but he was a part of the title we enjoyed in '17.

Tua had the same type of experience as Jake in his first season and like Blake won a SEC title in his first season only to lose in the title game.

We saw more of Mac when Tua went down ... and in his first season, the 2020 title.

Bryce in his first season; SEC title and a loss in the title game.

It hasn't worked out too badly over the years, eh?

You weren't contending with the transfer portal and NIL either in any of those scenarios where it is much easier to lose your talent and skilled backup toyour rivals in tge snap of two fingers.

Bryce started as a Sophomore. Milroe is a third year guy and Simpson a 2nd year guy. You rarely see a guy go three full years without playing and sticking it out at a program.

You weren't contending with the transfer portal and NIL either in any of those scenarios where it is much easier to lose your talent and skilled backup toyour rivals in tge snap of two fingers.

Bryce started as a Sophomore. Milroe is a third year guy and Simpson a 2nd year guy. You rarely see a guy go three full years without playing and sticking it out at a program.
I would fully agree with this in the past, especially when BAMA QB's never got a look in the NFL. Now that BAMA QB's are going off the board earlier than ever (in recent history at least), starting at BAMA for one year can certainly punch your ticket on Day 1 of the draft so, I think there are those that still get the big picture despite the transfer portal being around.

I'm still have the same thoughts on Milroe as I had a few months ago; it's basically now, or never. I expected more progress from Ty; it's something where coaching can't dictate the time line. We all know he's got a tone of potential, but when will he be ready.

Building a bit on what @Brandon Van de Graaff said earlier ...

We've talked, briefly, about O'Brien/Bryce throwing receivers open. With Milroe, as long as we're seeing Rees scheme receivers open I'll feel better about the offense. I like Whisenhunt's involvement.

I believe it takes a dynamic player at the QB position to win big. I don't know if Bama has that this season.

As an aside, based on reports I've heard, Lonergan has had a better spring than Arch. I'm looking forward to the three or four games where we get a glimpse...assuming they let him throw the ball.

I'm still have the same thoughts on Milroe as I had a few months ago; it's basically now, or never. I expected more progress from Ty; it's something where coaching can't dictate the time line. We all know he's got a tone of potential, but when will he be ready.

Building a bit on what @Brandon Van de Graaff said earlier ...

We've talked, briefly, about O'Brien/Bryce throwing receivers open. With Milroe, as long as we're seeing Rees scheme receivers open I'll feel better about the offense. I like Whisenhunt's involvement.

I believe it takes a dynamic player at the QB position to win big. I don't know if Bama has that this season.

As an aside, based on reports I've heard, Lonergan has had a better spring than Arch. I'm looking forward to the three or four games where we get a glimpse...assuming they let him throw the ball.

I was going to make those same comments about Milroe and Rees, but felt a couple of folks already hit on it. The tight ends and that scheming the receivers open will be Milroe's ticket. Bryce had the brains where so many do not, and being able to throw a guy open takes immense intelligence and ability. Milroe is a guy that it needs to be in front of him as I don't see his decision making as a big strength, yet his athletic ability can overcome a lot of that. Knowing where a receiver is supposed to be and throwing to them in that manner will benefit him greatly I believe.

I think we have a good enough quarterback room to get us a Natty this year. I believe we can simply dominate teams this year like the years of old.

Ty Simpson, I definitely expected him to take the reins this year. I'm shocked he has not been able to pull ahead with where I thought he was in his development and the jump start I felt he had coming to Alabama over a guy like Milroe. I am a little shocked here. Not gonna say disappointed because I'm simply hoping both are great options and are competing at a good level for the position, and that's it's just not a "well neither has really stepped up".

I am also shocked to hear about Lonergan. I was not expecting much at all from him if I'm completely honest. Watched him play a couple of times this past Fall and never really felt he had what it would take to ever see the field in Tuscaloosa. He has an uphill battle with Milroe and Simpson in front, and the Julian Sayin coming in next year, but I am more the proud of him for coming in and competing and having his name out there for good reasons. He's a good baseball player too, so I'd be curious if he plays some baseball next year. Reminds me of Keith Holcombe as far as where I feel his standing is at Alabama.

@TerryP you make a compelling argument and it is hard to argue with the results. Had Mac got to play a little more in "real game" scenario, do we beat Auburn in 19 with his first career start? The difference in that game are 2 interceptions that were absolutely rookie mistakes. I know I'm nit-picking, but I want to win every game, especially against the inbred cow humping boogers.

@TerryP you make a compelling argument and it is hard to argue with the results. Had Mac got to play a little more in "real game" scenario, do we beat Auburn in 19 with his first career start? The difference in that game are 2 interceptions that were absolutely rookie mistakes. I know I'm nit-picking, but I want to win every game, especially against the inbred cow humping boogers.

19. He threw for +400 yards

Couldn't get right people on field in last possession as AU Gus out smarmed Bama assistant ( see lsu coaches and bama DC in 22)

Missed FGs. Same old story

Throwing from 1 yd line vs AU. Even a Fg wraps game up

Players n talent were there Crap shit coaching

This reminds me of the competition between Sims and Coker in 2014. Lot of people had Coker pegged as a starter. Sims won out in the end.

Both will succeed. Both will play this season. One will play in mop up game, but I get a feeling if Simpson wins, Milroe will still play and probably have a limited package to showcase hi
That’s “booger eaters”, affectionately called that from 70’s era.

That's been said for years though. Won a Natty with Coker, Hurts for most of the year, and Mac Jones, all times we thought a big step back was coming. Prep and acumen, sure, but athletically, ability, surrounding support, no.
I was referring to QB play/productivity not how the team does. The team hopefully will be improved with better running game and defense but the QB postions I do not see at the BY level. Obviously these kids are talented but not BY talented as a QB. Hope I am wrong. We have won NC's with good QB's so here is hoping that is the same this year.

Back
Top Bottom