| NEWS Lane Kiffin named head football coach at Ole Miss

Ole Miss has fired Matt Luke, according to Rebel Grove’s Neal McCready.

Luke was hired as the permanent head coach for the Rebels following the 2017 season after being the interim head coach. The Rebels finished with a 4-8 record in 2019, and he was 15-21 overall in three seasons, including 6-18 in the SEC.

Luke became the interim head coach in 2017 after Hugh Freeze was forced to resign. He finished 6-6 his first season and was named the permanent head coach.

Most recently, Luke’s Rebels lost to Mississippi State in the Egg Bowl 21-20 in embarrassing fashion. Wide receiver Elijah Moore caught a touchdown pass with four seconds remaining, and he committed a bad personal foul penalty for excessive celebration. The dog pee fire hydrant penalty cost the Rebels dearly, as kicker Luke Logan missed the extra point from the 18-yard line.

I bet Luke's feeling pretty...pissed right now.

Ole $i$$ would be stupid if they didn't set their sights on Kiffin. Who else is going to come into this dumpster fire? Barry Odom? Derek Dooley?

Stupid move on their part. Who’s going to take that job? Coach Luke is Ole Miss through and through and with that shit hole that’s what they need

Shocked myself to see this as he was the guy that accepted the position when it was a dead end and they couldn't find anyone else. He is recruiting pretty good considering the heat and sanctions. He should have been given a couple more years.

Do not disagree that he should have been given another couple of years but in the real world when the people you are responsible for embarrasses your organization the head man is held accountable. Seems like that may be what got him.

Mississippi State is fucking pissed. They wanted to be the one to pull the trigger on their coach. Instead their rival does it and now they are stuck with Morehead for the foreseeable future

Wow!! Matt Luke was their Mike Shula to be honest. He wanted that job and took it at a time that they needed someone steady and level headed. I thought he would at least get 2 more years to try restock the cupboards.

I guess this means Mike McIntyre is available as a DC option now.

Wow!! Matt Luke was their Mike Shula to be honest. He wanted that job and took it at a time that they needed someone steady and level headed. I thought he would at least get 2 more years to try restock the cupboards.

I guess this means Mike McIntyre is available as a DC option now.

He ain't the answer.... With all due respect

OXFORD, Miss. — Matt Luke is out as head coach of the Ole Miss football program, the university said.

Luke, who led the Rebels to a 4-8 season in 2019, was in his third year as head coach, counting his interim stint in 2017. Across three seasons, Luke posted a 15-21 record.

Athletics director Keith Carter released the following statement Sunday night:

"After evaluating the overall trajectory of our football program, we did not see enough momentum on the field and determined a change is necessary in order for our student-athletes to compete at the highest level. While improvements were evident in certain aspects of the program, we are judged ultimately by our record, and, unfortunately, we did not meet the standard of success that we expect from our program.

"We will always be grateful to coach Luke for his leadership, particularly from a recruiting, academic and overall culture standpoint. At the same time, winning is important, and we know that we can compete for championships at Ole Miss."

Carter said Ole Miss has begun a search to replace Luke, and his ideal candidate would be one who attracts top talent, develops them as young men and sustains a winning mentality.

Mississippi scheduled a player meeting Sunday night to inform the players of the decision. Senior linebacker Willie Hibbler said players, including himself and freshman Jerrion Ealy, walked out of the meeting.

"That tells you a lot," Hibbler said. "I think they made the move off wins and losses. They didn't make the move off how the players feel. We're the ones praising him every day."

It is unclear who will take over the program in the meantime. Carter has scheduled a news conference for 11 a.m. Monday.

Senior cornerback Myles Hartsfield provided one of the more scathing criticisms on his way out of the meeting.

"It's just tough losing your coach, man," Hartsfield said. "That dude actually cared about us. He'd do anything for us. Just knowing that we put a lot into this as seniors. To find out on Twitter? C'mon, son."

Luke has coached at Ole Miss since 2012. He was hired as the offensive line coach and worked as the co-offensive coordinator through 2016 before being promoted to head coach.

Luke is an Ole Miss alumnus who played football for the Rebels from 1995-98. His brother Tom and his father Tommy also played football at Ole Miss.

The 2019 Ole Miss season ended on Thursday night when the Rebels lost 21-20 in the Egg Bowl against Mississippi State.

Ole Miss scored a touchdown with four seconds remaining in the game to give the team a chance to tie the score, but wide receiver Elijah Moore committed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty celebrating the touchdown, pushing the extra point try back 15 yards. Luke Logan then missed the kick, sealing the loss.

The University of Mississippi made the decision to move on from football coach Matt Luke on Sunday night after three years at the helm. Athletics director Keith Carter addressed the football team at 8 p.m. in the Manning Center on campus, explaining the direction he wants the program to go.

Carter's address didn't resonate with every player. A handful of players stormed out of Carter's meeting early.

Some were seniors who didn't have eligibility remaining like Myles Hartsfield and Willie Hibbler. But others were major contributors with eligibility remaining like running back Jerrion Ealy and defensive end Tariqious Tisdale.

The athletic department has not given any indication about whether Ole Miss' assistant coaches will be retained.

After the meeting concluded, junior offensive lineman Chandler Tuitt said "half the team" is talking about leaving. Tuitt said if the entire coaching staff is dismissed along with Luke, he doesn't think many players are going to stay with the team.

Carter told the players the decision was for the program.

"But you realize, there's no program without players," Tuitt said. "You're basing stuff off the fans. But we don't care about the fans that much. I'm going to be honest. We're here for the coach. We love football. If you don't want to support us, that's just your fault."

Tuitt wasn't the only player critical of what the players seem to perceive as a fan push to remove Luke from the program.

Defensive tackle Patrick Lucas Jr., a freshman, said he doesn't think fans should have the power to determine who leads the players. If anything, Lucas said, the players should have some say in who they have to follow atop the program.

That's why Lucas said he was one of the players who left Carter's meeting early.

Coming back for the future
Freshman quarterback John Rhys Plumlee wasn't able to attend the meeting because he was driving in from his hometown of Hattiesburg. Plumlee showed up late to meet with Carter individually.

In their meeting, Plumlee said Carter outlined to him the difficulty of the decision.

"He said with the business side of it, he felt there needed to be a change," Plumlee explained. "As much as we love coach Luke and we don't want to see him go, as players, you never want to see your coach go. Especially coach Luke. But he just said he thought he needed to make a change. I know that he has our interest at heart, even though it's tough to see."

Plumlee said Carter told him he expects to have a new coach hired as soon as a week and a half from now, though that timeline could be delayed.

For young players like Plumlee, reacting to the news means having to prepare for a new coach in town. For veterans like Hartsfield and Hibbler, the move means supporting an alma mater that you feel has betrayed the coach you trusted.

""I think they made the move off wins and losses," Hibbler said. "They didn't make the move off how the players feel. We're the ones praising him every day."

'All in on this program'
Center Eli Johnson will be returning for his senior season next year. As an offensive lineman, Johnson worked as closely with Luke as anyone, both when Luke was the head coach and when Luke was his position coach.

To Johnson, Luke's firing is difficult to stomach. Johnson said he believes Luke should've gotten more time as head coach. But he's taking it upon himself to lead the players who do remain with the team into the next era of Ole Miss football.

"We just have to move forward from here," Johnson said. "That's what concerns me, though. I've been an Ole Miss football fan my entire life. A guy like me, I'm going to be all in on this program moving forward just because it's Ole Miss football. I'm going to be all-in on it regardless of who the coach is. I hate that it's not going to be coach Luke.

"But that's not the case with a lot of guys. A lot of guys came to school here because of coach Luke. They don't have any ties to Ole Miss football. That's what scares me is how are those guys going to respond to this?"

"I couldn't take it no more," Lucas added. "Hearing that was just awful. [Luke] just got the ship started. We were just turning around. Yeah, we went 4-8. But we as a team felt inside that next year was going to be our year. Yeah, we wanted it to be this year. But we as a team felt like this year we're going to come around."

Do not disagree that he should have been given another couple of years but in the real world when the people you are responsible for embarrasses your organization the head man is held accountable. Seems like that may be what got him.

And how about the parents of the player? Luke bares no responsibility for what the parents failed to uphold on their end. It starts at home.

And how about the parents of the player? Luke bares no responsibility for what the parents failed to uphold on their end. It starts at home.
I do not disagree with that either but in the work world if my parents are not held accountable for what I do. The head guy is usually accountable also at the macro level. Lets just say that did not help his cause and may have been all the AD needed if he was sitting on the fence.

Back
Top Bottom