| NEWS Ole Miss has the best returning offensive line in the SEC, according to college football analyst - Supertalk~Mississippi Media

S

SEC Sports

You know what they say, football is won in the trenches.

Fortunately for Ole Miss, one of college football’s most respected experts is expecting the Rebels to be dominant up front offensively.

Prominent ESPN and SEC Network analyst, Cole Cubelic, believes that the Ole Miss offensive line is a unit that has not yet been adequately valued by the media. Cubelic, who serves on the committee that decides Joe Moore Award for the Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit, states that the Rebels may have the best group up front in the SEC.

“I think you can make a legitimate argument right now that that is the best returning offensive line in the SEC,” Cubelic said on SportsTalk Mississippi. “I look at guys who are coming back on that group. Nick Broeker, you can argue, is the best offensive lineman returning in the league.”

Cubelic noted that SEC teams such as Alabama and Georgia may have more talented offensive lines on paper, but Ole Miss has one thing that other notable programs lack — veteran experience.

Ole Miss is returning four of its five primary offensive lineman from the 2021 season. Two of these include senior guard Broeker who was named preseason All-SEC first team and junior tackle Jeremy James who was named preseason All-SEC third team. The Rebels also added coveted Western Kentucky transfer Mason Brooks to be the fifth member of the starting unit.

“Mason Brooks was very successful at Western Kentucky. He’s gonna come in and contribute and help and be a part of that group right away,” Cubelic said. “For the last couple of years, that Ole Miss offensive line, for the majority of the season, has pushed people around. So yeah, I’m excited to watch that group. If you’re asking me to rank them right now, I would have a tough time not putting Ole Miss as my best offensive line in the league.”

Ole Miss finished the 2021 season ranked No. 4 in the nation in total offense. As the team works to replace former All-SEC second team quarterback Matt Corral as well as its entire starting running backs room, the Rebels will look to its experienced offensive line to lead the way to another successful season under head coach Lane Kiffin.

Following the scrimmage yesterday Kiffin was quick to criticize both Dart and Altmyer for the number of sacks they took. That doesn't quite 'jive' with "best offensive line in the SEC," eh?

Not ready for primetime? Lane made a decision yesterday I find extremely questionable for a head coach to make in fall's first scrimmage.

Play calling for his quarterbacks based on an in-house bet on who would be MVP? How does that improve and develop your quarterbacks?

Still, he thought one quarterback had a good day. Kinkead Dent put together a solid performance, according to Kiffin, and the Rebels headman admitted his play-calling might have had something to do with that.

“We play a little game in the quarterback room predicting the MVPs for the day and guess them,” Kiffin said. “I would like to go on record that I picked Kinkade to be MVP today. That may have had something to do with the play-calling down there to get him some extra touchdown passes to win that bet. But he did a good job. Made a lot of plays.”

I find extremely questionable for a head coach to make in fall's first scrimmage.
Kiffin being Kiffin. His immaturity is always just there waiting to show up. I will say he is either hiding it better these days or it has improved but he will never be able to be completely free of it. He is wired that way.

Ole Miss offensive line, for the majority of the season, has pushed people around.
Same with Cubelic he has barn in him and can't fully rid himself of that stench. On this statement, would any of us on here describe Ole Miss OL in those terms? I certainly would not but I certainly do not follow of their program to that level of depth. Still it would be hard for me to believe it was true however.

My boy Steele has Ole Miss OL tied for 6th in the SEC with ut, UF, SC, and MO. Meaning they could be anywhere from 6th to 10th.
And a lot of his rankings are based on returning production which Ole Miss has in spades. Steele must not be too impressed with that returning production.

I wouldn't be as a fan seeing their QB's under so much pressure yesterday.

How's Phil rate their defensive line?

Following the scrimmage yesterday Kiffin was quick to criticize both Dart and Altmyer for the number of sacks they took. That doesn't quite 'jive' with "best offensive line in the SEC," eh?

Could it be he was referring to holding the ball too long or not running quick enough? That happens quite a lot with first time starters.

I'm not ready to agree with Cubelic on the Ole Miss line but they do have the most veterans on the OL in the SEC. That's a BIG deal but it gets thrown to pot if a QB doesn't do his part too. We struck gold with our OL in 2020 & the injuries were not devastating. As far back as I can remember, the Championship teams under CNS had strong veteran OL leaders. And up until last year, CNS young OL would be playing like veterans by the SECCG. So that can easily counter Cubelic's point. Then there is the injury factor that makes all this speculation moot.

Could it be he was referring to holding the ball too long or not running quick enough? That happens quite a lot with first time starters.
I thought about that and it is certainly a consideration. But what does that leave us with? The five receivers he brought in through the portal can't get open? If that's the case, he doesn't have a strong receiving corps because they certainly don't have a strong defense in Oxford.

And a lot of his rankings are based on returning production which Ole Miss has in spades. Steele must not be too impressed with that returning production.

I wouldn't be as a fan seeing their QB's under so much pressure yesterday.

How's Phil rate their defensive line?
Rates the DL 12th.

Back
Top Bottom