| FTBL Lane Kiffin contrasts coaching in Tuscaloosa compared to LA and Boca Raton

18Champs

When Lane Kiffin was at USC, he liked the big city, relaxed feeling where he could go outside and not get mobbed by fans, compared to all attention he drew in Knoxville.

Now at FAU, he has the same feeling compared to Tuscaloosa.

“There are times where you put a hat on or want to be normal. It depends where you live, too,” he said on The Herd. “Back here, Manhattan Beach (Calif.), it’s a lot more like that, where people leave you alone and you do your own deal. Boca is definitely like that for sure.

“I can go the whole day here and get stopped maybe by two people who say something. If you’re in more of a football driven place like Alabama, I don’t think I even went to a grocery store, because you’ll be there for two hours, a line of pictures and stories.”

But there’s also a positive to the attention sometimes.

“(It can be) great, because they’re so passionate about the football program and places like that,” he said, “but you’re not going to be normal, so it is what it is.”

Back in 2013, Kiffin said there was a five-month period he didn’t go to a restaurant, grocery store or anything in Knoxville. In college towns, the football programs are the biggest celebrities around. At Alabama, Kiffin was spotted around town, which people noted on social media. In a place like Boca Raton, people have a different ranking of priorities.

"(In Knoxville), my daughter was having a birthday party. She wanted to go to this restaurant, and my wife said I had to go. So I go,” Kiffin said in 2013. “My parents were there, and we had some presents for her. We're opening the presents at the side of the restaurant, and Tennessee fans walk up, right in the middle of my daughter opening the presents, 'Hey, coach, can you come over and take pictures with us?' I did it, because I understand that's part of the Tennessee fans. They're so passionate. There wasn't an understanding of what was going on."

The flip side is that Kiffin is tasked with creating more support for the program, meaning ticket sales and donations. A strange Signing Day video only does so much.

FAU opens spring practice on March 21.

Lane Kiffin contrasts coaching in Tuscaloosa compared to LA and Boca Raton

"(In Knoxville), my daughter was having a birthday party. She wanted to go to this restaurant, and my wife said I had to go. So I go,” Kiffin said in 2013. “My parents were there, and we had some presents for her. We're opening the presents at the side of the restaurant, and Tennessee fans walk up, right in the middle of my daughter opening the presents, 'Hey, coach, can you come over and take pictures with us?' I did it, because I understand that's part of the Tennessee fans. They're so passionate. There wasn't an understanding of what was going on."

I can't tell you how many people I've run into that I just say hey to, I don't bother them and interrupt what they are doing...just let them be.

IMO, even at a high profile job, it is very rude of anyone to interrupt a meal or if they are out with their family. That is their time and they have very little time with family, especially during the season. I would think many would understand and not bother them during a birthday party or meal.

IMO, even at a high profile job, it is very rude of anyone to interrupt a meal or if they are out with their family. That is their time and they have very little time with family, especially during the season. I would think many would understand and not bother them during a birthday party or meal.

We are from a different era than these today. Where you or I, or anyone else on here would give the person space, the younger generation doesn't have a clue. Believe it or not, I was approached by former LSwho Tigah basketball coach Dale Brown in the Nashville airport one time. I was wearing some of my coaching gear from my first coaching stop and he walked up to me and said, "it must be nice to fly comfortably!" We ended up talking for about 15-20 minutes!!

So, would Kiffin rather be living among the beautiful people and be mostly ignored, or be in little ole Tuscaloosa and be treated as a rock star? Deep down, I think he was complaining, more than explaining.

Yeah, I'm of the younger generation compared to most here, but I have never gotten my jollies from seeing a celebrity. I fancy myself as the guy they hope they sit next to for lunch or on an airplane because I would simply have a conversation about life, not jumping on them about what 99% of others would. These days with social media it's all about selfies and videos you can post and getting that girly energy out about seeing someone famous. I blame the Backstreet Boys, N'Sync and TRL from MTV on this, ha ha.

Yeah, I'm of the younger generation compared to most here, but I have never gotten my jollies from seeing a celebrity. I fancy myself as the guy they hope they sit next to for lunch or on an airplane because I would simply have a conversation about life, not jumping on them about what 99% of others would. These days with social media it's all about selfies and videos you can post and getting that girly energy out about seeing someone famous. I blame the Backstreet Boys, N'Sync and TRL from MTV on this, ha ha.

This. As an adult student that worked on campus, I had classes with and interacted with a lot of football players. Never once asked them for a picture or autograph. We would just "shoot the shit" and talk about life, with a little ball sprinkled in.

They knew I was a fan, but I never harassed them. And they liked having normal conversation.

In fact, the only autographs I ever got were from Fan Day in 2008. Took my daughter, and we had a collectible ball that a few signed.

Autograph requests are for things like fan day. Not for interrupting their everyday lives.

This. As an adult student that worked on campus, I had classes with and interacted with a lot of football players. Never once asked them for a picture or autograph. We would just "shoot the ****" and talk about life, with a little ball sprinkled in.

They knew I was a fan, but I never harassed them. And they liked having normal conversation.

In fact, the only autographs I ever got were from Fan Day in 2008. Took my daughter, and we had a collectible ball that a few signed.

Autograph requests are for things like fan day. Not for interrupting their everyday lives.

I did Fan Day in '09. Decided that was the last time as well!!! The Running of the Gumps!! My 7 year old and I walked!! The school that my Dad taught at had a dozen Wilson Footballs come in that were stamped for the University. Before my Dad retired, he packed up several and I carried one down for that day. I got 30-35 signatures and have it on display in my Man Cave.

I've ran into some folks in the weirdest spots, I try to treat them like their just normal people...hard at times because I'd love to have really long conversations with them about their experiences.

AC Green while standing in line to watch a movie in downtown San Diego - Clear and Present Danger. Gary Reasons (NY Giants LB) sat next to me on the plane a few years ago, still a big dude. Randy White at the Chiropractor, probably not that odd as we both live in the same town. Patrick Ewing at the Ritz Carlton in Boston, I'm 6'5" and he made me feel really short. Nick Saban last summer while I was admiring the Heisman trophies (ok, not that weird and he made me feel tall).

Eivin & Eve Kilcher at Soup Plantation in San Diego a few years ago. Would have loved to talk to them for hours, absolutely love their show.

Back
Top Bottom