| PRO Kyler Murray Has To Hit the Books (NFL)

Crtuneman

Interesting article on ESPN reveals that an addendum in his new clause says that Murray is required to do an additional 4 hours of film study each week outside of regular team meetings and film study. Is this an indication that he has not been studying film to this point? Does this show he has poor preparation habits? Or could this just be a sign that the team wants a return on their huge investment and they think film study is the way to get it? I don't know but I have never heard of this before. Personally I don't think Murray is an elite QB. His gift is running and making splash plays, not passing and reading defenses. I think he's a tier two QB at best. But now he's worth $46 million per year.

Study Harder Murray

I thought the same thing, CR. That’s an interesting clause. I figure they guy isn’t going the extra mile that they brag on some QBs for doing. Does requiring it make him a better player?

The insane money they are giving QB’s who have yet to win anything is puzzling. I thought this contract was ludicrous but the Watson contract was just stupid. That’s the Browns. Wait until Lamar Jackson gets his next one. I would think it would be higher than Watson for several reasons, not the least of which he’s a more upstanding citizen and has the same number of post season wins while playing 1 less year. But who knows these days…

If he only does 3 1/2 hours one week, does that put that clause into play? If he does 4 1/2 the next week, is all good? Is 3 hours and 58 minutes the same as 4 hours? Who monitors the clause to say it does or doesn’t come into play?

Many NFL players are "professionals" only because they're being paid. So many just don't have the work ethic, and the ability to see past their nose, to gain or maintain their edge. Given the length of most NFL careers, most are just kids 20-25 years old. For every Jerry Rice, there's a guy with weight maximums in his contract or, I guess, film study requirements.

I personally think they are trying to get more out of their investment. For so long it appears he has gotten by on just God given talent. Apparent by his success in baseball and football at higher levels. I have never thought he was elite. One massive hit and he's done in my mind due to his size. I also have not seen the next step in his football game, it's all still run run run. I don't understand why you offer a large sum of money, and THEN try to instill better habits, but apparently that's where we are in sports and life anymore.

Back
Top Bottom