| FTBL Kane Wommack sucks

I mean there's been some bad defenses, but this one is historically bad. Alabama repeatedly cut the lead to two. The defense folded in every single occasion when they needed to get a stop.

And it wasn't just an emotional let down. Vanderbilt literally physically dominated Alabama and consistently picked up 3rd downs with relative ease.

There's been embarrassing moments in CFB. This one may rank in the top three for worst losses. Number one team on the road against a team that lost to Georgia State.

Last edited:
Was just talking about that with someone (texting on the phone). He said it, and I had to think about it...73 points given up in the last 6 quarters.

I can understand giving up points against Georgia seeing as how they were ranked #1 (in some polls) at the time. But Vanderbilt? The last time BAMA lost to Vanderbilt was in the 80s. THE 80S!!!

And then stupid, dumb-ass penalties. That and a shitty defense will get you beat every time.

I mean there's been some bad defenses, but this one is historically bad. Alabama repeatedly cut the lead to two. The defense folded in every single occasion when they needed to get a stop.

And it wasn't just an emotional let down. Vanderbilt literally physically dominated Alabama and consistently picked up 3rd downs with relative ease.

There's been embarrassing moments in CFB. This one may rank in the top three for worst losses. Number one team on the road against a team that lost to Georgia State.
Well said

Bill Curry never lost to Vandy
Dubose never lost to Vandy
Franphony never lost to Vandy, even though he came perilously close in 2001
Mike fucking Shula never lost to Vandy

But this guy has. This was a BAD BAD BAD hire. We should have pushed harder for Kiffin

We still should have pushed for somebody from the Saban tree over this horrible hire. We should have kept it in the family. We need a Saban disciple to come home
You sound like everyone at Alabama post Bear Bryant? How did that work out for us? Stallings was the only one from that tree that did any good at Bama. It was a good run, but was not without it's own set of issues.

Just because someone tutored under Saban does not mean success. Looking at Muschamp.

We still should have pushed for somebody from the Saban tree over this horrible hire. We should have kept it in the family. We need a Saban disciple to come home
I don't think Deboer is a horrible hire at all. I think for who was available, Alabama did about as good of a job at getting a replacement as you could ask for. Deboer's a good HC; this is a bad loss. Also, pursuing disciples is what got Alabama in trouble when Bryant retired.

I still like Deboer and think he is a successful HC that can right the ship. That said, I don't like his coordinator hires. Sheridan did however call a good game today.

This kind of loss is extremely depressing. We had to wait 17 years for a national title from 1992 to 2009. The 2020 title was possibly the last in this generation. That thought is very depressing. I knew over the spring and summer that we were in trouble. Losing the A day game was a big red flag

How you gonna let Vandy run your ass over with same plays over and over? Is it Wommack? or Is it the players?
Both can share blame. If you consistently allow the same plays to bust open repeatedly, that's on you as coach for not adjusting and not getting your players in position to prevent that. It's also an issue if you're not taking the necessary procedures to challenge your guys to step up in big moments like that. Vanderbilt consistently exploited some issues some discussed earlier in the season.

The players also have to simply man up. There's nothing a coach can do when a QB completes a 7 yard pass on 3rd and 10 and the WR bullies defenders for an additional 5 yards. That's a fucking pride issue. Malichi Moore was visibly pissed after the game was over, but you didn't see any emotion like that when Vanderbilt was picking up long 3rd down conversions during the game. You can't get pissed at the end of the game when you and the rest of the team didn't step up in critical drives in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters. Plays where you allow the QB to run for 11 yards on 3rd and 8 is inexcusable.

Fact is though, this program has had a fundamental issue with the defense since 2017. Tackling has deteriorated to the point where it's expected that Alabama is not only going to be out of position, but get bullied for extra yards to set up manageable situations. Simply put, the standard that was set from 2008 to 2017 is all but diminished because both the coaches and players don't hold each other accountable to the expectation that there's a certain way Alabama should play defense. I hate the excuse that "well that's just how today's game is played". Actually it's more of instilling the right mindset and coaching them to hold them to that standard. Players take on the mindset of their coaches.

Back
Top Bottom