| FTBL jimmy johns, what's up?

Shire5k said:
Regardless of that fumble, JJ should have been put in on that 4th and 1, not Grant. JJ has the size and the power to make that play every time....Grant got stopped short.

Had Coffee been there, he would have been in the game at that moment to make that play because of size/power. I don't see why they wouldn't use JJ for the same situation. Bad play call.

Exactly. I would hope we would have the confidence in our players not to fumble on 2 consecutive possessions. Terry's a great back, but in that situation, it looked a bit like an obvious JJ situation. Hell, get Joe Kines back here, he'd put Andre Smith at TB for that play.

TerryP said:
jdpas29 said:
i'm a big JJ fan as well, but maybe his inability to hold on to the ball is why he doesn't get many reps at TB. i can appreciate that. hate it for him though. my heart goes out to the guy. he play so hard and gets so little reward.

Him getting reps this week had a bit to do with our depth situation as well. Upchurch still wearing a black jersey early on in the week, and of course Coffee out. Neither Grant or Lowe are 20 carries a game type of players.

His ball control has some to do with his lack of playing time. But, it's only a piece of that pie.

I guess I've missed something over the past few weeks.. where has Upchurch been?

Rams and Jams said:
TerryP said:
jdpas29 said:
i'm a big JJ fan as well, but maybe his inability to hold on to the ball is why he doesn't get many reps at TB. i can appreciate that. hate it for him though. my heart goes out to the guy. he play so hard and gets so little reward.

Him getting reps this week had a bit to do with our depth situation as well. Upchurch still wearing a black jersey early on in the week, and of course Coffee out. Neither Grant or Lowe are 20 carries a game type of players.

His ball control has some to do with his lack of playing time. But, it's only a piece of that pie.

I guess I've missed something over the past few weeks.. where has Upchurch been?

Injured. (black jersey indicates injury) A lot of the reason we saw JJ on the field yesterday had to do with Grant not being able to practice a lot last week...also, injury.

Shire5k said:
Regardless of that fumble, JJ should have been put in on that 4th and 1, not Grant. JJ has the size and the power to make that play every time....Grant got stopped short.

Had Coffee been there, he would have been in the game at that moment to make that play because of size/power. I don't see why they wouldn't use JJ for the same situation. Bad play call.

Had JJ not fumbled the ball inside the 15 yard line the drive before that, we could have possibly set up for the game winning FG on 4th and 1 instead of sending Grant in to get stuffed.

Jimmy Johns didn't lose the game for us.

One play, albeit a crucial one, can't be singled out in a day of countless mistakes.

The guy averaged 8.5 yards per carry and would have had more if a long run hadn't been negated by a holding penalty that wasn't even to his advantage. I couldn't care less if he's "pure" or "runs straight up." The bottom line is that, when the ball is in his hands, he makes plays. That's not to say he's perfect, however.

For what it's worth, I know why he hasn't gotten many carries. I'm not going to go into detail, but will say that it has absolutely nothing to do with his style of running or performance in practice.

Elephantitis said:

One play, albeit a crucial one, can't be singled out in a day of countless mistakes.

No one said JJ lost the game for us. I'm simply stating why we were in the position to need a 4th and 1 late in the game.

As for not pointing out one play in a day of countless mistakes....

Coach Saban said:
"You're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't," Saban said. "I put Jimmy Johns in the first time to try to run the ball to get the first down and he got the first down but he fumbled the ball. It's hard to put him back in."

That's a direct quote from Saban.

Argo said:
Elephantitis said:

No one said JJ lost the game for us. I'm simply stating why we were in the position to need a 4th and 1 late in the game.

Coach Saban said:
"You're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't," Saban said. "I put Jimmy Johns in the first time to try to run the ball to get the first down and he got the first down but he fumbled the ball. It's hard to put him back in."

I completely understand.

It's no secret that Saban's got a short leash. Coffee made a quick exit after his fumbles in Oxford, too.

Elephantitis said:
Argo said:
Elephantitis said:

Coach Saban said:

I completely understand.

It's no secret that Saban's got a short leash. Coffee made a quick exit after his fumbles in Oxford, too.

Yeah, but at the same time, I would trust enough in my players to hope that he wouldn't make the same play again...or at least not right after.

But it's easy to say what we could have or should have done after it's all over.

crisp.jpg

Argo said:
Shire5k said:

Had JJ not fumbled the ball inside the 15 yard line the drive before that, we could have possibly set up for the game winning FG on 4th and 1 instead of sending Grant in to get stuffed.

Not only did you not counter my argument, you basically ignored a very important part of my post. Why even respond if you aren't going to make any sense?

Back
Top Bottom