| FTBL It's called pass defense

I

imported_porkchop

If we had some it wouldn't even be close right now.

We just can't stop their passing game. No pass rush+no coverage=bad things on defense. ;sh

I'm interested to see how the defense is going to look next season with some of the youngsters taking over slots.

It's about time

Finally WG gets a sack. There's no way to cover those guys for the length of time we are giving them to throw. and could we please cover the tightend?

Outlaw said:
We obviously watched a different game. WG pitched a tent in the backfield the game I saw...

I guess I watched the game where Colorado passed for 312 yards while the BAMA defense got to the QB one time for -8 yards. I think that one was the one on ESPN tonight.

As far as playing the run goes, BAMA did great. I tip my hat there. As far as pass defense, we were terrible.

porkchop said:
Outlaw said:
We obviously watched a different game. WG pitched a tent in the backfield the game I saw...

I guess I watched the game where Colorado passed for 312 yards while the BAMA defense got to the QB one time for -8 yards. I think that one was the one on ESPN tonight.

As far as playing the run goes, BAMA did great. I tip my hat there. As far as pass defense, we were terrible.

Gillberry was in Hawkins face all night long (and was held several times) and Prince Hall and Simeon got some pressure on blitzes but yea only one sack.

Birdman37 said:
porkchop said:
Outlaw said:

Gillberry was in Hawkins face all night long (and was held several times) and Prince Hall and Simeon got some pressure on blitzes but yea only one sack.
Hey it was Ok for the Colorado players to hold. But it wasn't for ours guys.

Nah kid, the one I saw on ESPN WG was breathing down CH back all night long. Took his man to school on nearly every play.

When you say pass defense, that takes much more into account than just pass rush. Just because a pass is completed does not mean that we didn't get pressure on him.

Our pass coverage, now that's a whole different story...it was not where it has been and should have been I thought.

Roll Tide anyway though. a$#

We were beaten behind the LBer's, in front of the safeties, across the middle on several different occasions, true. Yet, this is one area that we all pointed to before this year even started. We knew our safeties weren't the best when it came to pass coverage.

When we moved into the nickel formation with Castille in the middle we saw Colorado go after Mitchell. Again, a guy we knew pre-season wasn't the greatest when it came to pass coverages.

There is a distinct reason you see a lot people talk about an incoming freshman being able to earn a lot of PT in our safety position. Johnson didn't have the best game of his season although he did step up a few times. Carter, was Carter.

WG was a beast! He would get my game ball. In the backfield all game long. But he cant do it all by himself. I saw most of d line getting stone walled.
Our cbs had some let downs and they took advantage of some miss matches with their tall lanky receivers on our linebackers. McClain..another person that was all over the field...reckless abandon lol
We all know Bama is not where it needs to be as far as talent but it was good to see them finish instead of just rolling over.

I was jacked up on NyQuil during the second half. but if I saw Colorado convert one more third and long I was going to throw the TV out into the snow! (nebraska winters suck by the way)

mongo4bama said:
On third and long we gave way to many conversions, we should have rushed five instead of four.

That would have made the situation worse than it was. We had 3 coming out of the backfield and as many as 6 in pass routes at times. We were playing a nickel package which is the smart move in those situations. Rushing another LB'er would have left one guy uncovered.

As it was, their receivers beat our coverage. The safeties, in most cases, were the ones being beaten and you can't take that away from Colorado.

I'd dare say I've never seen so many under-thrown balls with the Rcvr. coming back to make the completion. In just about every one of those plays we had good coverage.

Outlaw said:
Nah kid, the one I saw on ESPN WG was breathing down CH back all night long. Took his man to school on nearly every play.

When you say pass defense, that takes much more into account than just pass rush. Just because a pass is completed does not mean that we didn't get pressure on him.

Our pass coverage, now that's a whole different story...it was not where it has been and should have been I thought.

Roll Tide anyway though. a$#

Yeah there were a number of times we got pressure on Hawkins and it seemed like when we did that we didn't bother to cover anyone. Some of their receivers were so wide open there was not a defender within 5-10 yards of them at times. It was more than the pass rush but the numbers speak for themselves too.

On the other hand, you have to give the front 7 props for the way they played the run all night long.

TerryP said:
We were beaten behind the LBer's, in front of the safeties, across the middle on several different occasions, true. Yet, this is one area that we all pointed to before this year even started. We knew our safeties weren't the best when it came to pass coverage.

When we moved into the nickel formation with Castille in the middle we saw Colorado go after Mitchell. Again, a guy we knew pre-season wasn't the greatest when it came to pass coverages.

There is a distinct reason you see a lot people talk about an incoming freshman being able to earn a lot of PT in our safety position. Johnson didn't have the best game of his season although he did step up a few times. Carter, was Carter.

the thing that kills me most about Carter is when he tries to knock someone out. dude hits hard as hell but he has missed so many damn tackles (especially against McFadden) because of trying to knock a guy out instead of wrapping up it aint even funny. his pass coverage is poor too like u said.

Kc Bleeds Crimson said:
WG was a beast! He would get my game ball. In the backfield all game long. But he cant do it all by himself. I saw most of d line getting stone walled.
Our cbs had some let downs and they took advantage of some miss matches with their tall lanky receivers on our linebackers. McClain..another person that was all over the field...reckless abandon lol
We all know Bama is not where it needs to be as far as talent but it was good to see them finish instead of just rolling over.

yea Keith Saunders was getting killed all night long, i dont think he ever got within 5 yards of the QB.

SnakeFan said:
How will we improve pass coverage next year? Who's coming in? Red shirts?

Rashad Johnson will be a year older (senior) and Kareem Jackson will have almost an entire year of starting in the SEC under his belt and an offseason and spring under Saban. thats two huge pluses for our d-backfield. Mark Barron could be the other safety imo if he signs. TJ Bryant would be huge for us if we could sign him too cause he is supposed to be a beast and could prolly start right away like Jackson did. Terrance Farmer & Marquis Johnson prolly gone get a shot at corner too. Lionel Mitchell is better suited in the nickel imo. he isnt very good in coverage but he IS a play maker and a ball hawk.

Back
Top Bottom