| OT In their prime who would have won: Joe Frazier vs. Larry Holmes?

Too young to know much about his career, but I didn't like his arrogance from the little I know. I don't like loud mouths.
He was an earlier version of Newton but with a lot more sense. He played mind games to try and get into his opponents head. He was probably the first to do it (at least that I know) that started doing this which is why it was effective.

Those antics got under a lot of peoples skin and then he used his religion to get out of the draft.

Anyway that is how I recall it. He was an extremely gifted boxer which you could not deny regardless of how you felt about him,

He was an earlier version of Newton but with a lot more sense. He played mind games to try and get into his opponents head. He was probably the first to do it (at least that I know) that started doing this which is why it was effective.

Those antics got under a lot of peoples skin and then he used his religion to get out of the draft.

Anyway that is how I recall it. He was an extremely gifted boxer which you could not deny regardless of how you felt about him,
I remember a fight he had against a guy name Young, can't remember his first name. But Young had the fight of his life. But Ali would use the ropes to get away from Young. Ali would go between the top rope and the second rope. Just like @50+yeartidefan he loves to dance. Ali won that fight on a decision.

He was an earlier version of Mayweather too! The rope a dope, his antics, etc. Although Mayweather didn’t use the rope a dope, he would roll his shoulder kind of like the rope a dope

They hated Ali because he didn’t honor his draft notice. Had nothing to do with his boxing.
Not really. He was mouthy and a braggart..... was an era that found that unacceptable..
And then there was the refusal to enter the draft...
"No vietcong ever called me a N-----....".
Lost his title...lost a few years.....

Ali- Frazier 1 was on my honeymoon night ....withms50+
She tells that story with joy. ( wasnt televised....got round by round from sports tv person)

I had just got back from VN...and us guys talked about such.... most were still big Ali fans...probably to just irrate the brass and older sergeants.... though

Last edited:
Not really. He was mouthy and a braggart..... was an era that found that unacceptable..
And then there was the refusal to enter the draft...
"No vietcong ever called me a N-----....".
Lost his title...lost a few years.....

Ali- Frazier 1 was on my honeymoon night ....withms50+
She tells that story with joy. ( wasnt televised....got round by round from sports tv person)

I had just got back from VN...and us guys talked about such.... most were still big Ali fans...probably to just irrate the brass and older sergeants.... though
I wonder how he knew what a VC would say?…Ali probably heard that if the VC caught him in the bush, they would sew his privates to his face..like they did other soldiers…VC was the most brutal soldiers there..

Last edited:
I wonder how he knew what a VC would say?…Ali probably heard that if the VC caught him in the bush, they would sew his privates to his face..like they did other soldiers…VC was the most brutal soldiers there..

It's shocking to me how much you miss Ali's point. So I'll help. Ali was simply pointing out that he has no reason to fight/kill someone who hasn't been ugly to him.

His remarks were especially inflammatory (of which I 100% agree) at the time due to the civil rights movement. His statement was a hard truth for every citizen to reflect that our fight should be against those who attack or restrict our civil liberties, especially when it is at home.

It's shocking to me how much you miss Ali's point. So I'll help. Ali was simply pointing out that he has no reason to fight/kill someone who hasn't been ugly to him.

His remarks were especially inflammatory (of which I 100% agree) at the time due to the civil rights movement. His statement was a hard truth for every citizen to reflect that our fight should be against those who attack or restrict our civil liberties, especially when it is at home.
It was really a natural reaction to hearing that the first time..My Uncle had the horror stories of the VC..He was earlier in the war..They were some very brutal people.. And color didn’t matter if you were captured…They were ISIS like and didn’t take prisoners.. My Dad dealt with NVA..

It was really a natural reaction to hearing that the first time..My Uncle had the horror stories of the VC..He was earlier in the war..They were some very brutal people.. And color didn’t matter if you were captured…They were ISIS like and didn’t take prisoners.. My Dad dealt with NVA..

Yes the VC were brutes. A very nasty, brutal-jungle community with very little to no rule of law.

Back
Top Bottom