| FTBL If Jalen Hurts is the weak link, good luck yanking Alabama's chain

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
If Jalen Hurts is the weak link, good luck yanking Alabama's chain
hey've said it on the record and as anonymous sources. Everyone from an NFL scout to an SEC coordinator to Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze has offered a way Washington might be able to defeat unbeaten Alabama.

Make Jalen Hurts beat you.

"You've got to make that quarterback beat you with the pass," Freeze told Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports. "That was our game plan, and it was beautiful - for a quarter. ... I don't think he can beat you throwing. But he's one heck of a competitor, and he can run."

An anonymous NFL scout told Jon Solomon of CBSsports.com, "I'm not sure they believe (Hurts) can see between the hash marks. They've left a ton of yards on the field in terms of open receivers."

When's the last time someone suggested the first-team All-SEC quarterback had trouble throwing the ball? The wishbone era? Can you remember another occasion when the SEC offensive player of the year on the No. 1 team in the nation was considered a player an opponent could exploit?

Mention those comments to Hurts at Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Media Day, and he barely bats an eye. Of Freeze's comments on his arm, Hurts said, "It's his opinion. I can't change how he feels. I'm gonna try my best to execute our plan Saturday."

Hugh Freeze on Jalen Hurts: 'I don't think he can beat you throwing'

Ole Miss' coach talked about Alabama-Washington during an interview with Yahoo! Sports

Was Hurts surprised that Freeze would make those comments after the freshman led the largest comeback of the Nick Saban era to beat the Rebels 48-43?

"Everybody's entitled to their own opinion," Hurts said. "His opinion is not going to change how I feel. How I feel is not going to change how he feels. That's his opinion, and you only respect it."

Hurts couldn't have been more chill sitting in an igloo. His teammates registered slightly more emotion when they heard Freeze's opinion, but not much more.

Wideout ArDarius Stewart actually laughed and said of the Ole Miss coach, "He'll just have to watch the game and see. It really doesn't matter what he thinks."

Hmmm. Was that a clue that Hurts may come out gun-slinging Saturday?

Running back Damien Harris didn't offer any insight into the game plan, but he did take issue with Freeze's little dart.

"I think that is not a very good comment," Harris said. "Jalen's an elite quarterback in college football, not just in our league, and I think he's proven that to this point. We have all the confidence in Jalen's arm, Jalen's legs. He gets it all done for us.

"He's the SEC offensive player of the year. I don't know if there's really a way to stop him."

Lane Kiffin explains why he's taking 2 Alabama staffers to FAU

Lane Kiffin explains why he's bringing "Scott Cochran Jr." and the son of a famous coach with him to Florida Atlantic.

No one really has. He's not yet a truly polished passer, and he's far from a finished product, but Hurts is second in Alabama history in single-season total offense and touchdown responsibility. Both records are well within his reach. Over the last four games, which included outings against the quality defenses of Auburn and Florida, Hurts raised his average total offense per game, his completion percentage and his pass efficiency rating.

In other words, if he's the weak link, good luck yanking Alabama's chain.

"I respect Coach Freeze's opinion," Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin said, "but I think Jalen has proved different in games where he's made big-time throws in big situations. He's a freshman. Does he do everything right? No, he doesn't, but he's made some big-time throws to help us win games."

Ask Hurts how much confidence he has in his arm, and he doesn't blink, hesitate or back down.

"I never put limitations on my game," he said. "I'll never say I can't do something. I think I have the ability to do it all, but that all can be shown on the field. That's where it should be shown."

Spoken like anything but a true freshman.

Alabama star Reuben Foster recalls how he 'almost' played for Washington

Reuben Foster strongly considered playing for Washington. And man who recruited him there now coaches for Alabama.

"Speaking of Coach Freeze," Kiffin said, "I go back to that hit in the Ole Miss game and the ball comes out. Not many people are going to get up from that, let alone bring the team back to win the game."

Hurts got hit in the mouth on that play, lost the ball and the Rebels ran it back for a touchdown and a 24-3 lead. After the extra point and kickoff, on the next Alabama snap, something happened that said more about Hurts than any opinion Freeze or any other coach could offer.

Kiffin called a pass play. Hurts completed it for 22 yards to Calvin Ridley. Hurts then ran for 22 yards more to set up first-and-goal. Ridley took a jet sweep into the end zone from there. The comeback was on.

In his third college game, second college start and first true road game, Hurts handled that crossroads like a pro. Words aren't likely to hurt him now.

Cant wait for Hurts to drop 400 on them next year.

I'm excited to see what he can do Saturday as well. Remember the jump in accuracy and confidence between the SECCG and the bowl game for Coker last year? Same thing between 1st-year starter AJ after the Iron Bowl leading up to the repeat with LSWho.

No classes, so a lot of time to study film while working on your fundamentals.

Jalen may just come out with his hair on fire.

But yes, I hope he hangs 400 on the LandBearSharkRebels next year, too...

I doubt anyone would watch Jalen this year and conclude he can throw like Joe Montana. But Joe Montana couldn't run like Jalen Hurts.

Freeze needs to STFU. He's been making an ass of himself a little too much lately.

Last edited:
Freeze is a dick but hard to argue "I'm not sure they believe (Hurts) can see between the hash marks. They've left a ton of yards on the field in terms of open receivers."

Freeze is a dick but hard to argue "I'm not sure they believe (Hurts) can see between the hash marks. They've left a ton of yards on the field in terms of open receivers."

To be fair, that was attributed to an NFL scout. I agree that our offense has not been fully utilized due to missed open receivers, but I'm not complaining. Our offense stunk it up at times in '92. This is a defense that will carry us home, and the offense will be sufficient.

RTR,

Tim

To be fair, that was attributed to an NFL scout. I agree that our offense has not been fully utilized due to missed open receivers, but I'm not complaining. Our offense stunk it up at times in '92. This is a defense that will carry us home, and the offense will be sufficient.

RTR,

Tim

Bottom line, we use < 50% of the field in passing game because we do not use middle of field

Not sure I care what part of the field our young general exploits. Hurts have accounted for over 3400 yards of offense. That and the best defense in the known universe will get us where we want to go.

Freeze needs to STFU. He's been making an ass of himself a little too much lately.

Think back to media days in the summer and some of the things he said. I'm seeing the combination of the NCAA (see his Jesus and the cross analogy) and where Bama is, again, having found a permanent home between 'Mater's' ears. Literally and figuratively, the boy is losing it ...

Sounds like a man that is under a lot of stress. Does not seem like there would be anything to be stressed over if he and Ole Miss were innocent as he publicly claims. My 2 cents but does not seem like there is much if any wiggle room left for Ole Miss with the NCAA.

i find it rather hilarious that all most people can talk about is our weaknesses.

ummmm......so no other team has any weaknesses? every other team out there is perfect in every aspect of the game? no other qb has thrown an interception. no other rb or receiver has fumbled the ball. every db, or corner, or safety has batted down every ball thrown their way?

yeah, THOUGHT SO!

tell me, how many players came into their program, straight out of high school, and made an immediate difference? how many came in and just took over a spot because they were so damn good and perfect that no one else was even close?

how many?!

the guy is a true freshman, for goodness sake. realistically, you can't expect him to come in and be perfect all the damn time. it's just not gonna happen.

ask a certain Heisman Trophy winner if he came in and became the immediate starter. wait, don't ask. you already know the answer.....

Back
Top Bottom