| FTBL I was just thinking about the QB situation and '08...

Don't get me wrong. He bugs the crap out of me locking on receivers, throwing out of bounds or not protecting the ball. There's certainly room for improvement, and most of it is between his ears.

Amen.

I guess we will see how he does with his first 10 passes of the game. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed that you could tell what type of game JPW was going to have from those first few passes.

All in all, I just want to win and will pull for who ever is under center. Hopefully experience will bring greatness.

JPW's experience, and the freshmen coming in who have gotten playing time in make it interesting down the stretch, mark my words. Tide will be a viable team in 09 for sure. Look for a few surprises in 08 though. One win over AU in 08? Another in 09! (no ? mark there) Tubbs resigns.

There was an article somewhere that stated that JPW's play would determine our season. If the QB that played against UT is the JPW that shows up next year, we're a 9+ win team. If the guy who played against MSU shows up, we're screwed.

bamaupsman said:
There was an article somewhere that stated that JPW's play would determine our season. If the QB that played against UT is the JPW that shows up next year, we're a 9+ win team. If the guy who played against MSU shows up, we're screwed.

I agree. I also think that his confidence in the OL last year had a little to do with looking at one receiver before the snap. I guess he thought that he needed to find somebody as quick as possible. But, you never know what's going through a player's head.

And also, if you remember the 2006 Iron Bowl, Brodie was getting his butt kicked in the pocket but they brought in JP in the 4th quarter and he was kicking butt. Everytime Brodie got preassured, he'd tuck the ball in and wait to get sacked. If JP got rushed, he'd scramble out of the pocket and make something out of it. He even ran the ball in for a touchdown. After that game, I thought we were gonna be awesome in 2007 with JP taking the snaps. But I was wrong. Last year's JP didn't look like the JP I saw in the 2006 Iron Bowl. Maybe it's because he's under preassure because all of the responsibility is all on him now. What do yall think?

I honestly think it could go either way this year with JP...obviously I hope positively. My experience says he will have a good year...
1. he's a senior
2. he's been in game situations (tough ones)
3. He now has a very experienced OC to mentor him and coach him through his mistakes

I was in attendance at most games this past season and my seats afford me a very good view inside the coaches box...Applewhite was overwhelmed when it wasn't going the right way, he was not coaching JP when it matters most for a QB (during the game)...JP had nobody to talk to in the box or on the field...great coaches have the ability to adapt their systems to their players, Applewhite failed us there. I was happy with what I saw at A-day, McElwain knows what he's doing and the offense appeared to be developing around our strengths (passes in the flat to speedy RB's, utilizing the TE, shorter passes vs. downfield verticals...if we get continued production from the upperclass receivers and if Julio comes in and has an impact it could open up a mid-range/down field attack)....my opinions for what they are worth...I to am hopefully optimistic...my gut tell me we have a vast improvement in consistency this year on offense...I hope the defense continues to overachieve while some of the younger players develop.

jocephus8179 said:
And also, if you remember the 2006 Iron Bowl, Brodie was getting his butt kicked in the pocket but they brought in JP in the 4th quarter and he was kicking butt. Everytime Brodie got preassured, he'd tuck the ball in and wait to get sacked. If JP got rushed, he'd scramble out of the pocket and make something out of it. He even ran the ball in for a touchdown. After that game, I thought we were gonna be awesome in 2007 with JP taking the snaps. But I was wrong. Last year's JP didn't look like the JP I saw in the 2006 Iron Bowl. Maybe it's because he's under preassure because all of the responsibility is all on him now. What do yall think?

He tried to scramble last year but would not protect the ball leading to critical fumbles...dammit.

B@MA GUY in NC said:
I honestly think it could go either way this year with JP...obviously I hope positively. My experience says he will have a good year...
1. he's a senior
2. he's been in game situations (tough ones)
3. He now has a very experienced OC to mentor him and coach him through his mistakes

I was in attendance at most games this past season and my seats afford me a very good view inside the coaches box...Applewhite was overwhelmed when it wasn't going the right way, he was not coaching JP when it matters most for a QB (during the game)...JP had nobody to talk to in the box or on the field...great coaches have the ability to adapt their systems to their players, Applewhite failed us there. I was happy with what I saw at A-day, McElwain knows what he's doing and the offense appeared to be developing around our strengths (passes in the flat to speedy RB's, utilizing the TE, shorter passes vs. downfield verticals...if we get continued production from the upperclass receivers and if Julio comes in and has an impact it could open up a mid-range/down field attack)....my opinions for what they are worth...I to am hopefully optimistic...my gut tell me we have a vast improvement in consistency this year on offense...I hope the defense continues to overachieve while some of the younger players develop.

Could not have said it better myself. The new offense is going to help him a lot and make him go through is progressions. CMA had no rhythm in his play calling...the one thing that comes to mind is how well the 2 min offense worked under CMA. Why? Because a set number of plays were predetermined from a single call? There was no waiting on the next play. I am looking for a big improvement this year on the offensive side.

Back
Top Bottom