| FOOD I had forgotten all about 7•Up Gold and I can't remember this other one. Dr. Pepper in a blue bottle?

I still find it pretty wild talking with someone who very likely sat in the same chair as I did, almost a half of a century ago, getting a haircut. Or, as the conversation went, the same stool at a drug store to get a drink.

Someone...I've likely never met other than our little community here.
...that is pretty wild. Seems like another lifetime ago, although many of my memories are quite vivid. I started going to Bob's when I was so young I needed a booster seat. He had what looked like a little wooden bench that was just wide enough for the barber chair. Also, he gave away lollipops after the cut - so that was always good. Can still smell that powder he'd dust your neck with at the end. To me, that is still the smell of a proper haircut...

11-most-popular-body-powders-for-men.png

iu

I wouldn't have remembered this ... two brothers that were friends of mine lived in the Whitesburg area: Umsteads...maybe Umpstead. Crazy looking at the map.

You play golf as a kid? I started playing on the course that was on the old airport property...I see it's a park now.

I did not really play golf as a kid. We used to hit balls at the driving range, but never really played much.

I think you're talking about John Hunt Park there on Airport Rd. A good buddy of mine opened up a shooting range right next to that park a couple of years ago called Bullet & Barrel. Still there.

Last edited:
I still find it pretty wild talking with someone who very likely sat in the same chair as I did, almost a half of a century ago, getting a haircut. Or, as the conversation went, the same stool at a drug store to get a drink.

Someone...I've likely never met other than our little community here.
You remember Hatfield Lake and Drive-In? Also had a skating rink. It was off Hwy 31 just south of Athens. Just a few miles SE of your grandad's place. Open from like 1950 to 1980.

Some local girls at Hatfield (not sure who). Looks right out of American Graffiti.

hatfield 1b.jpg

It was quite the social place once. Skating, Drive-In Movies, and Swimming.

320230452_680628056795858_224125791542660742_n.jpg

I think you're talking about John Hunt Park there on Airport Rd. A good buddy of mine opened up a shooting range right next to that park a couple of years ago called Bullet & Barrel. Still there.
I looked over that on the map: yes, the same area. It was a little sobering. I noticed one of the streets in that area and recognized the name...a guy that lived down the street from me died on that street. You've seen scenes in movies where a guy gets pinned between, say a wall and vehicle, and remains alive until they separate the two?

Teddy was getting something out of his trunk when he was hit by a car, pinning him between the two. I remember his family being called to the scene to talk to him one last time. That's another thing I'd forgotten about until seeing the street name.

You remember Hatfield Lake and Drive-In? Also had a skating rink.
Yes, and no. I remember there being a skating rink. However, back then my mother beat the Bible harder than Shane Hawkins beats the drums. She'd have gone blocks out of our way just so I wouldn't see the place. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom