| FOOD I had forgotten all about 7•Up Gold and I can't remember this other one. Dr. Pepper in a blue bottle?

TerryP

Staff
Just looking at this picture knowing these drinks are in the old glass bottles ... swear to God, they taste better just thinking back. Hell, I might even drink one, 1, of those Sunkist. At least I think it's Sunkist. 🤷‍♂️

But to the Dr. Pepper. There are three kinds on the top shelf: the last two I'm struggling with. Do you remember?

(Publix?)

Fl-gu84WQAAuGRJ

....Publix didn't expand beyond Florida until the early 90's - so that has to be a Florida ad (assuming it is from the 80s)
The "source" of the photo was referencing the return policy on glass bottles in the early '80's and dated the photo then. And as usual, I got caught up looking at other things in the image. :rolleyes:

It's definitely from Publix. They didn't change their logo ('P') until 2012—the dark inner circle of the letter ran from the '70's through '12 according to Publix's site.

Screenshot 2023-01-09 10.04.21 AM.png

Saw this photo the other day. Immediately made me flashback to being a kid… My mom would drop my brother and I off at church on summer mornings and we’d hang out all day with friends at the recreation center. Huge basketball gym, game rooms with pool, ping pong, racquetball, etc. It was a lot of fun. But there was a hallway with the snack and coke machines and when I see a photo like this it takes me back there. I can still feel the sticky floor, hear the constant hum of the machines, usually a fluorescent light flickering nearby, the sound of the quarters clinking in, and the ice cold bottle tumbling out... The best days.

8FC4A897-8FF9-4346-A1DE-364A1E596793.jpeg

The "source" of the photo was referencing the return policy on glass bottles in the early '80's and dated the photo then.
Super 70's Sports? They posted it in Twitter yesterday.

Gonna tell a bad story about myself. Grew up living next door to the kids of a police detective (later police chief in town). Of course they lived with their mother who was his first wife and he lived 4 blocks over with his second wife. But, the thing to remember is we had a lot of free time, little money, often less supervision, and lived right behind the grocery store. No cameras behind the store and they had the empty bottles that were returned just piled up in a little fenced in area that had part of the fence broken. So they taught me how to bend it a little further and grab some bottles whenever we wanted candy and didn't have the money. I feel bad about it now, but back then the whole neighborhood seemed to be in on the scam.

Super 70's Sports? They posted it in Twitter yesterday.

Gonna tell a bad story about myself. Grew up living next door to the kids of a police detective (later police chief in town). Of course they lived with their mother who was his first wife and he lived 4 blocks over with his second wife. But, the thing to remember is we had a lot of free time, little money, often less supervision, and lived right behind the grocery store. No cameras behind the store and they had the empty bottles that were returned just piled up in a little fenced in area that had part of the fence broken. So they taught me how to bend it a little further and grab some bottles whenever we wanted candy and didn't have the money. I feel bad about it now, but back then the whole neighborhood seemed to be in on the scam.

...that sounds downright saintly compared to some of the crap I/we pulled as kids growing up in Athens. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom