| FOOD I had forgotten all about 7•Up Gold and I can't remember this other one. Dr. Pepper in a blue bottle?

I remember going to the store and getting 4 bottles of Coke for a dollar.
When I tell my kids that my dad used to give me $1 and I would go get him some cigarettes and a paper and have change back when I was like 8 or 9 they are aghast. Mostly because an 8 year old could buy cigarettes but then because that transaction is more like $6-7 now.

I still kind of freak when I see 2 liters are like $2.50 in the store now. I remember them being under $1.

There was a movie theater in Athens called the Ritz. The owner allowed kids to get into the afternoon matinee for 6 RC Cola bottle caps. This, I assume, was to give poor kids an opportunity to get into the movies. .

Some may remember, back in the 1960s and earlier - when you opened your bottle sometimes the bottle cap would fall in the little hole under the bottle opener but many times it would not. It would just fall somewhere on the ground.

We used to go around to all the RC Cola machines and search the ground for bottle caps so we could get in to see the feature western on a Saturday afternoon. Boy, I feel old.

4656609455_12f888fe40_b.jpg

When I tell my kids that my dad used to give me $1 and I would go get him some cigarettes and a paper and have change back when I was like 8 or 9 they are aghast. Mostly because an 8 year old could buy cigarettes but then because that transaction is more like $6-7 now.

I still kind of freak when I see 2 liters are like $2.50 in the store now. I remember them being under $1.

My dad used to give each of us kids (10 of us) 50 cents allowance a week. I'd walk up to Meadows grocery and get my weekly treat - 1 bottle of Coke and a bag of some kind of chips - 15 + 10 + 2 cents tax for a total of 27 cents. I'd usually buy penny candy with the rest or maybe treat my dog to a can of Alpo. He normally got Sunshine or some other budget dog food. Alpo we considered "the good stuff". LOL. Anyway, my dog loved it.

There was a movie theater in Athens called the Ritz.
There was a barbershop in downtown Athens where I used to get my hair cut as a kid. It wasn't on the square but I think it was on one of the streets that made up the square. They had a machine like that one. The machine was calibrated for nickel, they charged a dime. There was a small sign right beside that hole for caps where they asked you to put the extra nickel.

There was a barbershop in downtown Athens where I used to get my hair cut as a kid. It wasn't on the square but I think it was on one of the streets that made up the square. They had a machine like that one. The machine was calibrated for nickel, they charged a dime. There was a small sign right beside that hole for caps where they asked you to put the extra nickel.
Sounds like "Bob's Barber Shop". Had the old timey striped pole outside? Run by Bob Davis and later his son, I believe. I believe there was a hardware store near his shop - UG White maybe?

Me and my brothers used to walk up there together to get our cuts. Fifty cents for a "regular" cut. Buzzed up the back and on the sides.

Holy Mother of God, it's still there! LOL.

Just did a Google search and to my surprise....

1673535861689.png

Sounds like "Bob's Barber Shop". Had the old timey striped pole outside?
I vaguely remember the barber pole, so it may be Bob's. I'll have to ask.

This trip down memory lane did send me to Google Earth/Maps. I was able to figure out where my grandparents lived on Sunset at the corner of Brown's Ferry. I'll see if I can backtrack how to get there in a little while.

Then I'll ask. :ROFLMAO:

@AFF that's it. No shit. That's the place.

I remember walking around the corner to the drug store and I'm pretty sure it was Limestone Drugs back then—round stools and a fountain coke as a Saturday afternoon treat.

Mid-'70's memories...

Reminds me...

I can remember my grandad walking from his house on Sunset to the square to play checkers under the trees ...
I remember those old men playing checkers under the trees. They were doing it back in the 60s I know. Old men sitting on the courthouse square (I think Jim Reeves had a song "Jimbo Jenkins" about that). I also remember the Confederate soldier memorial....and I remember when that Court House still had a sign for the "Colored" water fountain. This was mid-60s - probably a few years before you remember it. It was a different world back then. Some good, some not so good...

@AFF that's it. No shit. That's the place.

I remember walking around the corner to the drug store and I'm pretty sure it was Limestone Drugs back then—round stools and a fountain coke as a Saturday afternoon treat.

Mid-'70's memories...

Yes. They actually had a soda jerk back in the 60s. Used to get root beer floats there, and ice cream sundays and banana splits. They could mix whatever syrup you wanted. Ask for a cherry coke - they'd mix cherry syrup with coke syrup...

Limestone drug appears to still be there at the same location.

Also, that "Ritz Theater" I mentioned was in the building now occupied by Marion St Church of Christ.

1673540506264.png

@AFF I fell in love with root beer floats there. To the point I'd bike several miles to the A&W just to have one (grew up in Huntsville.)

That's a nice little walk. A couple of miles at least.
While retired he used to mow lawns on that side of town; several a week. He'd walk to them pushing a Craftsman lawn mower, Briggs and Stratton, made from steel. Gawd I hated that thing...while it's overgrown, you can see the size of the lot I had to cut there on Sunset—had to be an acre. It looks like they still have a shed where his used to be; it was a concrete floor back then.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 12.35.16 PM.png

@AFF I fell in love with root beer floats there. To the point I'd bike several miles to the A&W just to have one (grew up in Huntsville.)

While retired he used to mow lawns on that side of town; several a week. He'd walk to them pushing a Craftsman lawn mower, Briggs and Stratton, made from steel. Gawd I hated that thing...while it's overgrown, you can see the size of the lot I had to cut there on Sunset—had to be an acre. It looks like they still have a shed where his used to be; it was a concrete floor back then.

View attachment 23129
I know that general area. It was out a ways from where we hung out. That was out to the SW of town I think. We were up north on Houston St - right across from the elementary school. North Town they called it - and not in a flattering way LOL. Some poor and tough kids up there.

We moved to SE Huntsville after my freshman year of High School where I went to Grissom.

We were very close between Lily Flagg/Weatherly area between Whitesburg and Baily Cove
I wouldn't have remembered this ... two brothers that were friends of mine lived in the Whitesburg area: Umsteads...maybe Umpstead. Crazy looking at the map.

You play golf as a kid? I started playing on the course that was on the old airport property...I see it's a park now.

@AFF and @TerryP, I love reading y'alls conversation about your old days. Brings back memories of my younger days growing up as a country boy.
I still find it pretty wild talking with someone who very likely sat in the same chair as I did, almost a half of a century ago, getting a haircut. Or, as the conversation went, the same stool at a drug store to get a drink.

Someone...I've likely never met other than our little community here.

I never visited a barber shop until I was in my middle teens. After my first professional cut, my Mama made me go back to have some more hair cut off, it was not short enough to please her. She was the barber in our house growing up.

Back
Top Bottom