| FTBL I am going to beat a dead horse...two actually.

TerryP said:
Big_Fan said:
musso said:
TerryP said:
Because, he isn't good enough to crack the two deep at RB so the thought of him running out of the QB position doesn't make much sense, does it? ...

If the OL can't block for who we have in the backfield now, what makes you think they'll do better with a different person in the backfield?

terry, i think the question raised is a legitimate question, theoretically speaking. i mean, the off-the-field realities and previous quotes by coaches are all information that may or may not be known by posters on the board.

as impactful as those factors are on the present situation, i believe BigFan's questions were more hypothetical anyway. personally, i think the prospect of a physical running quarterback particularly in short-yardage situations is certainly deserving of consideration as a successful alternative. when the QB runs with the ball, the offense effectively gains an additional blocker that it misses when the QB hands the ball off. UF's success with Tebow's rushes despite having a suspect OL illustrates how such a play can be difficult to stop.

while Johns's conduct, or rather misconduct, may render his participation as a running QB as highly unlikely, i think it's entirely permissable to discuss it on theoretical grounds (would it or wouldn't it work and why). after all, the chances of our ideas and suggestions actually being used and executed by coaches should NEVER be a factor in evaluating the legitimacy of the posting of our ideas ... by virtue of the simple fact that we all know the coaches aren't looking to us for suggestions.

One thing I find really interesting about the whole Johns portrayal, is that JJ won the "I Like to Practice" award in spring training. If academics were the issue, he would be ineligible. Most arguments against JJ are off base...If attitude were the issue, he would not be a starter on special teams.

The bottom line to my opinion is this...when you are on the 1-3 yard line, handing it off to the RB requires that you take the ball off the line of scrimmage. With a big, physical QB and even a mediocre OL, 1 or 2 yards is an automatic TD. I put the MSU TD right before half time on the coaches. We should have sneaked it again...even with JPW it went for 3 yards the first time and 1 the second. It was only second down and we still had a timeout at that point. If JPW is not big and strong enough to muscle it in from the 2, put in someone who is.

einige Leute würden nicht einen unabhängigen Gedanken kennen, wenn es sie auf der Nase biß

Calling this thread an independent thought is in direct conflict with the thread titled "I am going to beat a dead horse."

There are things going on with Johns you don't know about. Like I said to Musso, the idea in itself isn't a bad one, hardly original/independent, but it isn't something that fits with the offensive scheme we employ...nor, with the players we have in place.

Obviously you confuse independent with original. A thought does not have to be original to be independent, but constantly drawing into question any post that does not tow the company line is both lame and self defeating. That is how we got where we are today...not enough people questioned things and we ended up with DuBose as our HC for (at least) a year too long. If he had been fired after the first hint of Debbie-gate, nobody would have ever heard of Albert Means.

Franchione flirted with Kansas and Notre Dame...at the time it happened, we all heard the rumors but we were too busy holding the rope to notice.

No coach is above questioning...even a $4 million dollar man. Do I think I have even 1/10th the football knowledge of Saban? Not hardly...but it is football and if I want to talk about the potential of JJ at QB for a goal line series, I have that right. I mean, I know 1000 times more about the Bible and Theology than most people, but there is always someone wanting to argue. It is funny...the first thing they say is "I am no theologian, but..." then they proceed to give you their (usually wrong or at least poorly formed) opinion. In my and many other peoples opinions, that is a more serious topic than football, yet it is discussed ad nauseum by ga-jillions of people who are basically ignorant to the particulars, every day.

So excuse me if I don't consider it a tremendous challenge and opportunity for me to hold the rope while its rollin' baby. I am sure that there are some unbelievable efforts that came so close and just fell a little bit short, but I am not bound to a 24 hour rule that is part of the process. I am a fan.

Roll Tide.

musso said:
Big_Fan said:
One thing I find really interesting about the whole Johns portrayal, is that JJ won the "I Like to Practice" award in spring training. If academics were the issue, he would be ineligible. Most arguments against JJ are off base...If attitude were the issue, he would not be a starter on special teams.

The bottom line to my opinion is this...when you are on the 1-3 yard line, handing it off to the RB requires that you take the ball off the line of scrimmage. With a big, physical QB and even a mediocre OL, 1 or 2 yards is an automatic TD. I put the MSU TD right before half time on the coaches. We should have sneaked it again...even with JPW it went for 3 yards the first time and 1 the second. It was only second down and we still had a timeout at that point. If JPW is not big and strong enough to muscle it in from the 2, put in someone who is.

yeah, i have problems with the notion that Saban is using Johns on special teams, but isn't choosing to use him on offense when/if he may help us win a game. i mean, either kick him off the team or suspend him, but this "spot duty" sends mixed messages. then again, i don't know the particulars of Johns's situation.

i too put that TD opportunity before the half on the coaches, and to my relief i found this link the other day.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2007/11/saban_does_some_secondguesses.html

Are you one that is in favor of a guy who is being outperformed at practice playing during the game? That's the gist of what I got from your opinion.

Outlaw said:
musso said:
Big_Fan said:

yeah, i have problems with the notion that Saban is using Johns on special teams, but isn't choosing to use him on offense when/if he may help us win a game. i mean, either kick him off the team or suspend him, but this "spot duty" sends mixed messages. then again, i don't know the particulars of Johns's situation.

i too put that TD opportunity before the half on the coaches, and to my relief i found this link the other day.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2007/11/saban_does_some_secondguesses.html

Are you one that is in favor of a guy who is being outperformed at practice playing during the game? That's the gist of what I got from your opinion.

I don't think the issue is that JJ is being out performed at practice...that is likely and probably true in terms of what is being done right now...but what is NOT being done right now is a big, bull-strong fullback lined up under center and doing a QB sneak. If I were a gambling man, I would wager that JJ is faster than JPW, and that he is stronger than JPW. He has experience under center and is a a good ball handler, and he rushed for and passed for a ton of yards in HS. A JJ package for the goal line makes sense. JJ is a mediocre passer at best, of that there is no doubt, but it is really not an issue when you are talking about a 75/25 run pass option and a jump pass is what? 4 yards?

As it's been stated before in this thread from the Mellick article:

Because Saban is such a stickler for "the process," demanding things be done his way, it's a safe bet that good players who aren't playing aren't playing because they aren't doing things the Saban way.

Saban isn't Mike Shula. He won't reward a guy who doesn't perform consistently - on the field or off, in practice or not - just because it might win a game now.

Based on everything I know about Saban's system, the question really isn't "Why doesn't the coaching staff put Jimmy Johns in to run the football in critical situations." Instead, maybe it should be, "Why isn't Jimmy Johns doing what it takes to work himself into a situation where the coaching staff can rely on him to run the football in critical situations."

His practice performance is part of the issue. One of those things in practice has been the inability to control the ball. BUT, that's only a part of the issue.

reger60 said:
Based on everything I know about Saban's system, the question really isn't "Why doesn't the coaching staff put Jimmy Johns in to run the football in critical situations." Instead, maybe it should be, "Why isn't Jimmy Johns doing what it takes to work himself into a situation where the coaching staff can rely on him to run the football in critical situations."

Mr. Hammer, I would like you to meet Mr. Nail.

istockphoto_166964_hammer_and_nail.jpg

TerryP said:
His practice performance is part of the issue. One of those things in practice has been the inability to control the ball. BUT, that's only a part of the issue.

Terry, since you are as privy to information, please answer this...

Why can JPW do no wrong? I am not advocating benching him for the game, but why do you think Saban won't let someone else hand off for a series while JPW settles down. He obviously gets rattled and it would help him if he got to cool his heels for a series or two when that happens.

It is NOT Saban's SOP to stick with one QB no matter what he does. If a QB at LSU would have performed like JPW did Saturday, he would have found himself benched for a while. I realize that GMac may not be ready for prime time, but one series of handoffs against a 5-4 MSU team is not prime time. Surely GMac is good enough to hand the ball off a few times when JPW goes into a funk.

If you can detach yourself from your policy of not saying anything negative, what are your REASONABLE thoughts.

Big_Fan said:
TerryP said:

Why can JPW do no wrong? I am not advocating benching him for the game, but why do you think Saban won't let someone else hand off for a series while JPW settles down. He obviously gets rattled and it would help him if he got to cool his heels for a series or two when that happens.

It is NOT Saban's SOP to stick with one QB no matter what he does. If a QB at LSU would have performed like JPW did Saturday, he would have found himself benched for a while. I realize that GMac may not be ready for prime time, but one series of handoffs against a 5-4 MSU team is not prime time. Surely GMac is good enough to hand the ball off a few times when JPW goes into a funk.

If you can detach yourself from your policy of not saying anything negative, what are your REASONABLE thoughts.

That is what I am screaming.

Big_Fan said:

The situation hasn't changed since the last in depth conversation I had with Bones82 on the subject. I touched on it in this thread as well.

TerryP said:
Big_Fan said:

The situation hasn't changed since the last in depth conversation I had with Bones82 on the subject. I touched on it in this thread as well.

There is definitely nothing in-depth on this thread...link to the earlier one?

Wouldn't mind seeing something new or in trick play form actually.

That's why we're just the fans though, we have no say so in it all...so why argue?

Big_Fan said:
TerryP said:
Big_Fan said:

There is definitely nothing in-depth on this thread...link to the earlier one?

I don't have time to search for it right this minute...try the search function using my name, Bones 82, JPW, GM, maybe FSU and UGA as well...it was about a month ago...before the UT game for sure.

If you can't find it, I'll look for it if I have time later today...coffee, breakfast, getting ready to head to the office, etc.

In a nutshell the staff feels that JPW gives us the best option to win and they don't feel GM is ready for league play yet.

All that said, I know they think they can get better athletes and play out of the QB position. A sign definitely indicating that is even with the verbal from Jackson word has it we are talking to Cliff Stoudt about enrolling in January and back counting his scholly on '07's numbers.

Let me add this...and this is only a supposition. I've wondered at times if CMA doesn't care for shuffling QB's even if his starter is having a hard time getting on track. I wonder that based on the Simms/Applewhite shuffle at Tx.

One other thing...while JPW did have a slow start last weekend he was getting on track at the end of the first half. Of course, that ended up in an INT.

Secondly, if you look at last weekend you saw MSU double teaming DJ...our other receivers were getting open, but getting open late in their routes.

*head explodes*

"Soong peetch alay. Mala trom pee chock makacheesa. Jabba wah ning chee kosthpa murishani tytung we wanya yoskhah. Ha, ha, ha. Chas kee nyowyee koo chooskoo."

Someone riddle me THAT language buhuuhahaaa!

Here is another snippet

"Uth laynuma. Chespo kutata kreesta krenko, nyakoska!"

As far as JJ goes..we really don't know why Coach Saban does not have him in there but it does not matter. I trust Coach Saban.

Gosh, I can't believe I am going to reply to this.

Greedo, Star Wars that is.

Swamptick said:
*head explodes*

"Soong peetch alay. Mala trom pee chock makacheesa. Jabba wah ning chee kosthpa murishani tytung we wanya yoskhah. Ha, ha, ha. Chas kee nyowyee koo chooskoo."

Here is another snippet

As far as JJ goes..we really don't know why Coach Saban does not have him in there but it does not matter. I trust Coach Saban.

TerryP said:
Gosh, I can't believe I am going to reply to this.

Greedo, Star Wars that is.

Swamptick said:
*head explodes*

Here is another snippet

And the GEEK squad rolls out! ^^SPIT
J/K guys ,I'm surprised I didn't catch that.
I do love me some starwars. ^^MWA

Swamptick said:
... we really don't know why Coach Saban does not have him in there but it does not matter. I trust Coach Saban.

uh, it matters so long as it matters to fans. furthermore, when fans discuss, question, and even disagree with selected coaching decisions, it doesn't automatically mean that trust in the coaching staff is lost.

god, i hate it when some of you make this erroneous conflation.

Back
Top Bottom