| FTBL How much change should be expected in Jalen's QB growth?

It's not so troublesome to me if Jalen misses a read, it's only troublesome if his opportunities to make the reads are fewer than they need to be. This part of the offense is why he is SEC offensive player of the year and 1st team QB. Hammering away at defenses, particularly in the interior is something we haven't done much of this season and being behind on down and distance is more about run/pass ratio than any misgivings I have about the execution. So is it Jalen or much more about the position we keep putting him in?

The end crashed down initially and then when he pulled the ball took out after the QB. I thought the same thing on that play and went back and watch it in slow motion... Jalen made the correct read as he's reading the End... but he couldn't see that the middle opened up wide and if he let the RB keep the ball, the End wouldn't have been able to make the play on him...

So... on that play, he made the correct "read"; however, it turned out to be that the "incorrect" read would have resulted in a better play... it happens...

This.

I'm thinking that because we're "Bama" we have lofty expectations frI'm the QB position.

I don't seem to think AJ being all that great a QB in '11. In fact, a couple of the wrong reads he made in the 1st LSWho game that resulted in INTs could've very well cost us yet another undefeated season. And he was a RS Sophomore, too.

The fact that Jalen, despite a few mishaps, has done as well as he has WHILE being a TRUE frosh allows for a little growing pains.

And all those bitching about him left and right must be seeing something that all SEC COACHES, MEDIA, AND NATIONAL MEDIA (A.P.) aren't seeing. Coaches voted him player of the year, as did the A.P.

But, we're smarter than coaches and national media that study and cover the sport tho, right?

This.

I'm thinking that because we're "Bama" we have lofty expectations frI'm the QB position.

I don't seem to think AJ being all that great a QB in '11. In fact, a couple of the wrong reads he made in the 1st LSWho game that resulted in INTs could've very well cost us yet another undefeated season. And he was a RS Sophomore, too.

The fact that Jalen, despite a few mishaps, has done as well as he has WHILE being a TRUE frosh allows for a little growing pains.

And all those bitching about him left and right must be seeing something that all SEC COACHES, MEDIA, AND NATIONAL MEDIA (A.P.) aren't seeing. Coaches voted him player of the year, as did the A.P.

But, we're smarter than coaches and national media that study and cover the sport tho, right?

Hurts has had a great year in terms of productivity. What several of us are pointing out is that we see his weaknesses and where he can be better. Some of those weaknesses have resulted in turnovers or FGs instead of TDs. No one has said that he shouldn't be the starter. We are just frustrated to know that if we see the issues, some defensive coordinated will see them and scheme against him.

Hurts has had a great year in terms of productivity. What several of us are pointing out is that we see his weaknesses and where he can be better. Some of those weaknesses have resulted in turnovers or FGs instead of TDs. No one has said that he shouldn't be the starter. We are just frustrated to know that if we see the issues, some defensive coordinated will see them and scheme against him.

Reaching much?

So far, 9 SEC coaches failed to scheme against those "weaknesses".

Those same coaches voted him offensive POY.

We wouldn't be 13-0 with anyone else under center. With 2 other 4 star QBs and a 5 star all with more experience than him, he still won the job. So, what does that say about all the other QBs that were on the roster?

There's a great deal of risk/reward considerations when choosing a starter in a QB race. And apparently, Jalen's risk /reward ratio was much wider than all the other talented QBs.

Could he do some things better? Sure.

Remember the jump AJ made in his 2nd year? Hell, he made a vast improvement during bowl prep as evidenced by his solid performance in the BCSCG.

Reaching much?

Those same coaches voted him offensive POY.

We wouldn't be 13-0 with anyone else under center. With 2 other 4 star QBs and a 5 star all with more experience than him, he still won the job. So, what does that say about all the other QBs that were on the roster?

There's a great deal of risk/reward considerations when choosing a starter in a QB race. And apparently, Jalen's risk /reward ratio was much wider than all the other talented QBs.

Could he do some things better? Sure.

Remember the jump AJ made in his 2nd year? Hell, he made a vast improvement during bowl prep as evidenced by his solid performance in the BCSCG.

Yes to all of the above. But, he has so much room for improvement - that's what should be scary to opponents. His success in 2016 was due to his ability to run. If he learns to find a receiver downfield, or makes good reads on the RPO, the offense will be unstoppable.

Yes to all of the above. But, he has so much room for improvement - that's what should be scary to opponents. His success in 2016 was due to his ability to run. If he learns to find a receiver downfield, or makes good reads on the RPO, the offense will be unstoppable.

And from what I'm hearing, there's smoke around the idea that Mark Helfrich may end up having a lot to do with his future development.

Last edited:
Reaching much?

It's about containing his rushing and making him put it in the air, right? Florida did a really good job against JH, IMO. Other teams did as well. While he had a good completion percentage against Auburn there were two INT's there. He couldn't run against UArk, threw fairly well, but we've got that INT thing again.

The thing is ... all of this is going back to what we were talking about in fall camp—quarterback efficiency. The "fear" was one game, one of these mistakes, could cost the Tide a trip to ATL. That didn't happen. There was the fear it would cost the team a trip to the playoffs. That didn't happen.

Is there still a "fear" turnovers/mistakes could cost this team another ring? If so, they're logical.

The only thing that hasn't happened is... the same team whose defense is able to slow alabama down by forcing the pass also has a good offense.

I'm not sure that team exists this year. if it does, it is probably osu.

The only thing that hasn't happened is... the same team whose defense is able to slow alabama down by forcing the pass also has a good offense.

Idk, most teams that played us had good offensive production...

Till they played us.

It's just that our D is THAT good.

Our D could literally slow a few NFL teams down.

That would certainly solve a lot of our kicking issues. Just always go for two, cause that's the way we roll in Eugene. Gee, I wonder why he got fired? :shock:

Lol.

May not happen. I am hearing there is smoke there, though.

But with Jalen here for at least the next 2 years and another dual-threat kid waiting in the wings, it just makes sense to take the next step in evolving the offense.

And honestly, I think it's brilliant of Saban to adapt his offensive philosophy .
Reminds me of another famous college coach in years past...

And think about this, too. Kiffin has never been a spread guy. His offensive roots have always been West Coast. But, being the offensive savant he is, he was able to adapt to his personnel. It would make sense to expand even further into spread concepts, you'd want to take that next step with a guy that has spread history.

No doubt, Helfrich the head coach left something to be desired. But his offenses all the way back to 2009 under Chip Kelly were explosive.

Lol.

May not happen. I am hearing there is smoke there, though.

But with Jalen here for at least the next 2 years and another dual-threat kid waiting in the wings, it just makes sense to take the next step in evolving the offense.

And honestly, I think it's brilliant of Saban to adapt his offensive philosophy .
Reminds me of another famous college coach in years past...

And think about this, too. Kiffin has never been a spread guy. His offensive roots have always been West Coast. But, being the offensive savant he is, he was able to adapt to his personnel. It would make sense to expand even further into spread concepts, you'd want to take that next step with a guy that has spread history.

No doubt, Helfrich the head coach left something to be desired. But his offenses all the way back to 2009 under Chip Kelly were explosive.

Explosive yes, but always at the expense of the defense. They are left on the field for 2/3rds of the game. What you are describing has already been accomplished in the Big 12/Pac 12. One of the reasons our defense has been so consistent over the years is because of our ball control on offense. In truth, you can't have one without the other.

Ohio State may have similar talent and the most disciplined D of the 3 others in CFP (Clemson has a ton of talent as well but gives up points/big plays:secondary?), but the OSU offense I saw vs Michigan leads me to believe they might be easiest for Bama to dominate. Clemson is my biggest concern and I'm sure that's because of what went down last year.

Back
Top Bottom