| FTBL How much change should be expected in Jalen's QB growth?

They moved Austin to QB after Barnett transferred. He switched to #19 too, he has been practicing at both positions tho.
Thanks 37. hard to keep up with the WO's (thought Montana was 19 tho? seems to the number given to WO QB's? Seth Franks the WO from Northport in last year's class was also 19)
Johnson_Austin.JPG
6-2 200
15268065_10209608436065622_4077277659065914861_n.jpg

2016 (Sophomore)
Has not seen action in 2016.
2015 (Freshman)
Did not see action in 2015.
Former Elba Tiger Austin Johnson has taken a long road to get to Tuscaloosa since helping lead Elba to the Class 2A state championship as a junior. Today, Johnson finds himself fighting to make it as a walk-on for the Alabama Crimson Tide football team. He has made the cut down to 14 walk-ons that will participate in Spring Practice. After graduating from Elba High School in 2013, Johnson played sparingly for the Huntingdon College football team, starting a couple of games at quarterback for the junior varsity Johnson left after that first season and found a scholarship offer at Northeast Mississippi Community College. He went through spring drills, but failed to make the roster and decided the situation at the Booneville, Mississippi school was not right for him “The whole junior college thing was like a fluke,” Johnson said. “Everyone was shocked they didn’t keep me. We only had three spring practices, and the head coach was only there for one. They said my arm wasn’t strong enough. I can throw the ball 70 yards. I know that wasn’t it. He said something like I was too much like Johnny Manziel.
“I left there and decided to walk-on at Alabama,” Johnson said, adding that playing for the tradition-rich program had always been a dream. Johnson’s father, Glen, played basketball at Enterprise State Community College. Currently, he is the B Team basketball head coach and varsity assistant at Elba, while serving as the defensive coordinator in football. Austin’s mother is Kerry Johnson, and he has two younger brothers – Chance, 18, and Brady, 7. At Elba, Johnson started at quarterback for his last two-and-a-half seasons, helping beat Tanner for the 2011 2A crown at, ironically, Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa. The 6-foot, 2-inch, 205-pound Johnson admits he’s very “raw” as a receiver… for now. “I played a little receiver in high school,” he said. “I’ve always been able to play it.” He recalls his receivers coach at Huntingdon begging the coaching staff to let him play receiver rather than quarterback. The Alabama wide receivers coach is Billy Napier. Johnson has yet to have a conversation with Napier, saying that it has mainly been workouts and the 4th Quarter Program for now. There were 70 walk-ons that were cut down to 14 just recently. Johnson said the tryouts consisted of four stations. Many walk-ons were cut during the five laps around the field portion, while others went by the wayside during other physical tests. “If we make it to spring ball, then through summer workouts, we could make the fall roster,” he said. “I feel pretty good right now. I have a lot of athletic ability I haven’t shown yet. There are a lot of drills to show off my athletic ability.” Johnson said there are four time frames for players to work out, but noted that walk-ons are expected to come in at the earliest – 6:30 a.m. Alabama Strength and Conditioning Coach Scott Cochranis everything Johnson expected. “Oh yeah. Even with his regular voice, he sounds like he’s yelling,” Johnson said. Johnson said the workouts have kept him from getting too conscious of his surroundings and the state-of-the-art facilities at Alabama. “In the beginning it was,” he said. “It’s always been a dream. We’re all in the same room wearing the same gear. But, I’m working to play now. My goal is to be on the field to play.” Perhaps now, Johnson’s mother will root for Alabama. “Mom used be an Auburn fan, but we’ve finally converted her,” he said.

Last edited:
Saban said he invited John Parker to run the scout team during LSU week because the QBs he had were banged up at the time. With the added potential loss of Bateman, I wouldn't doubt Saban is making calls to Sims, Parker Wilson and whoever is available for the stretch run.
John Parker is basically the same size as Jake Browning 6-2, just a bit heavier I think. Jake is probably a much better passer than JP, but with the need to mimic the other QB, JP is probably best bet. Then bring Blake back for the week before the Championship game (Deshaun or JT)

With the possibility of Jalen going down and Cornwell being ineffective, I would think that Stewart has as good a chance of playing QB than putting a WalkOn in to pick up the slack (unless Montana has been turning heads, but since I have heard nothing about him.....meh!!!)

Is Tua planning on enrolling in January? And if so I would assume that would mean he can practice like Jalen did last year?
Yes.... but he is playing in the Army All Star game in San Antonio.. (too late for any help before team heads to Tampa for the 1-9 game)
Saturday, January 7, 2017 at the Alamodome San Antonio, TX – Military City USA

Ridley scored on the direct snap...

I do believe the snap to Ridley that he scored on was a mistake. There was confusion either way as Hurts turned and looked at the sideline like "WTF?"

The direct snap to a motioning WR needs to go away.... forever. Dont ever want to see it again.

A couple of things that will obviously be worked on during prep time will be ball security and simply throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack. AJ was probably the best QB we have had at not taking a sack. I know we bitched and moaned at times seeing the ball sail into the bench, but 2nd and 10 was always better than 2nd and 20. To me, those are the 2 biggest weaknesses in his game. Reps, reps, reps, as @TerryP has often stated on here will improve the downfield accuracy and timing.

As far as a backup to Jalen goes, SHOULD Bateman leave now, your immediate backup would have to be Cornwell. Your RPOs would go by the way side but you would see similar sets and plays minus the QB runs. As far as Murphy and Johnson, guys, you get to practice, help run scout team, but we aren't putting them in with a Natty on the line. ArDarrius Stewart would be your 3rd man in this scenario. Stewart played QB in HS, as well as about 5-6 positions and played them well.

A couple of things that will obviously be worked on during prep time will be ball security and simply throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack. AJ was probably the best QB we have had at not taking a sack. I know we bitched and moaned at times seeing the ball sail into the bench, but 2nd and 10 was always better than 2nd and 20. To me, those are the 2 biggest weaknesses in his game. Reps, reps, reps, as @TerryP has often stated on here will improve the downfield accuracy and timing

Great point. In our 1st possession vs Florida, Jalen was pressured with nowhere to go. Rather than throw it away, he dumped it off to Ridley who was surrounded for a completion and a 10 yard loss. Almost threw my beer.

Great point. In our 1st possession vs Florida, Jalen was pressured with nowhere to go. Rather than throw it away, he dumped it off to Ridley who was surrounded for a completion and a 10 yard loss. Almost threw my beer.

Another time on 1st and 10, he took a sack on play action around the -40. It cost us 10 yards. I think that is probably the biggest pet peeve Saban has about a young QB.

Guys I know he still not seeing the whole field. Sometime it take longer to get something just right. Bad thing he still not seeing the whole field. Good thing he not lose any game as to date. I think he will along the rest of his teammates will hold up that trophy on Jan 9th.

Guys I know he still not seeing the whole field. Sometime it take longer to get something just right. Bad thing he still not seeing the whole field. Good thing he not lose any game as to date. I think he will along the rest of his teammates will hold up that trophy on Jan 9th.

Seeing the whole field often goes with the play that is called. Example, roll out or bootleg pass to one side of the field limits the field to half or a third. The read is often "peek deep, 1 then 2". The backside receivers are more decoy guys to hold safeties or linebackers from flowing into the desired window.

The more I think about the significance of Hurts starting as a true freshman in the NC Playoffs, the more I think about the things that have gotten this team there despite what he has or hasn't done... Granted, he's made some great plays but he has made some bonehead plays too, all just point to being a true freshman. And that's ok, simply because ultimately, this team is in the playoffs due to its defense. CNS can game plan around this defense & adjust quite quickly depending on how the defense is handling the other team. I don't mean to make light of Hurts accomplishments. He has faaaar exceeded my expectations as a true freshman. And I think we lose the Ole Miss game without him.

But now the teams were are playing are championship level teams. Any four can beat any of the others. So at this point, as noted earlier by another. I don't think Jalen has to win a game as much as he cannot afford to lose a game, especially allowing for easy points such as field goals. Make good reads, throw it away, & no negative plays is a formula this team can win a championship. Considering Griffin's kicking issues of late, this is of particular interest.

There were some plays in the SECCG where the RPO became a predetermined decision. In each of the plays, he ran the ball instead of handing off or passing. He has a lot of talent, but he frustrates me.

There were some plays in the SECCG where the RPO became a predetermined decision. In each of the plays, he ran the ball instead of handing off or passing. He has a lot of talent, but he frustrates me.
One in particular (i say this because my non-football wise Wife, asked why he did not hand off to Harris up the middle? ) Hole was like 10 yard wide; he took the end run option and was crashed for little gain.
As noted, the competition and the stage just got a lot better and bigger. I am hoping that his coolness continues and his field vision improves just a few percentage points... hoping having some time off for heavy film review helps.
But, I was never a QB...what would I really know?

One in particular (i say this because my non-football wise Wife, asked why he did not hand off to Harris up the middle? ) Hole was like 10 yard wide; he took the end run option and was crashed for little gain.
As noted, the competition and the stage just got a lot better and bigger. I am hoping that his coolness continues and his field vision improves just a few percentage points... hoping having some time off for heavy film review helps.

You're seeing what I'm seeing.

The end crashed down initially and then when he pulled the ball took out after the QB. I thought the same thing on that play and went back and watch it in slow motion... Jalen made the correct read as he's reading the End... but he couldn't see that the middle opened up wide and if he let the RB keep the ball, the End wouldn't have been able to make the play on him...

So... on that play, he made the correct "read"; however, it turned out to be that the "incorrect" read would have resulted in a better play... it happens...

Back
Top Bottom