| FTBL Have questions, need answers.

musso said:
any info on true freshmen Gentry, McCollough, and Elder? any chance any of them will be able to contribute on the DL???

Gentry has still not healed up from his surgery,he just now reported, but is not going full contact yet. McCullough (nose tackle) and Elder (end) have done well from what I've gathered, and could play if needed, but if I had to guess, both are probably headed for a redshirt year. I think Chapman will play over McCullough. The new walk-on, Juan Garnier, would probably play over him as well, but that's just a guess.

Wow that Juan Garnier story is interesting to say the least. Wonder if he will be able to earn a scholly here? He going to be a senior Pooter? Lord I'd love to see him on the field...talk about plugging up a hole.

Tider 27 said:
Wow that Juan Garnier story is interesting to say the least. Wonder if he will be able to earn a scholly here? He going to be a senior Pooter? Lord I'd love to see him on the field...talk about plugging up a hole.

He is a sophomore. Don't ask why or how.

Porterhouse said:
Tider 27 said:

He is a sophomore. Don't ask why or how.

Well can I ask how he managed to have a 1.1 GPA at Auburn and he actually wants a scholarship. Or should I say...how did he not have a scholarship at Auburn. :lol:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10222841

Thanks to the NCAA, we can't help you help the Garnier family
June 12, 2007
By Dennis Dodd

I want to give you Yamileth Garnier's address.

I've got it right here.

I want to publish it, and ask you to send her money. One tap of the keyboard could bring Yamileth and her son thousands of dollars. They would deserve it. They are two of the bravest souls I have met in covering college football for 20 years.

Yamileth is living in Boston near the poverty level, behind on the loans she has taken out trying to send her son Juan to school.

If you read my walk-on of the year story on Juan Garnier, then you know they deserve your help.

But I can't publish her address. Well, I can, but eventually it would become an NCAA violation. Hopefully enough people would be moved to contribute to the family. But undoubtedly some of those compassionate folks would be Ohio State fans, or fans of whatever school Juan might transfer to.

That's called an "extra benefit" in the NCAA's eyes. All athletes must be treated the same, which, unfortunately, is sometimes like dirt. Even when they are living day-to-day.

Publishing that address would be no different in the NCAA's eyes than an Ohio State booster handing a check to Juan Garnier on the street.

But rules shouldn't stand in the way of simple human kindness. Especially in extreme cases like this. The NCAA relented last year in a similar case. It allowed a fund to be set up for Clemson's Ray Ray McElrathbey. The 19-year-old Tigers defender was forced to take in his 11-year-old brother Fahmarr because their mother was addicted to crack cocaine.

The Garniers are in an equally unique situation. Yamileth is a single mother who raised her only child by working three jobs. The NCAA already has shown its compassion. In April, it allowed Juan an almost unprecedented two extra years of eligibility. The decision was based, in part, on Juan's treatment for depression.

There are thousands of walk-ons who probably think they deserve to have their addresses published. Yes and no. Most walk-ons are there without a scholarship because their parents can afford it.

Juan Garnier is walking on in hopes of saving himself and his mother from a life of poverty. Not necessarily by playing in the NFL. He is getting his criminology degree next month. He would like to go to law school after that.

Meanwhile, the Garniers can't hold out much longer. Juan pretty much needs a scholarship this fall to keep going at Ohio State. If not, he might be forced to transfer. Alabama is an option. There is no promise of a scholarship, just better financial aid.

Either way, the money problems won't end. Juan has student loans. His mother says she took out a loan for $55,000.

That's why I won't publish the address. It would do more harm than good to two wonderful people. That hurts me. It should hurt you.

That doesn't preclude a group of industrious college football fans from getting Yamileth's address on their own. Believe me, it's not that hard. What's to keep them from making an anonymous donation?

In this case, human decency should trump an NCAA bylaw.

Porterhouse said:
BigAl said:
musso said:
Porterhouse said:
I think Chapman will play over McCullough.

i thought chapman was declared ineligible. is he wearing crimson this year???

Chapman will play according to what i'm told.

Yeah, Chapman should be fine. Murphy is the Hoover player who went to prep school.

ooh so the grade changing incident at Hoover involved Murphy, not Chapman????

well, i'm relieved to know that at least we have Chapman at our disposal. so then, at NT we'll have Motley, Washington, and Chapman?

musso said:
Porterhouse said:
BigAl said:
musso said:
Porterhouse said:
I think Chapman will play over McCullough.

i thought chapman was declared ineligible. is he wearing crimson this year???

Chapman will play according to what i'm told.

Yeah, Chapman should be fine. Murphy is the Hoover player who went to prep school.

ooh so the grade changing incident at Hoover involved Murphy, not Chapman????

well, i'm relieved to know that at least we have Chapman at our disposal. so then, at NT we'll have Motley, Washington, and Chapman?

No, the grade changing thing is with Chapman, but it doesn't appear that it is going to be an issue as far as his eligibility.

Back
Top Bottom