| NEWS Greg Byrne: Challenges ahead - AD says financial challenges, attendance reductions coming - Tuscaloosa News

I was under the impression Byrne talked about cuts and lower level position elimination, but I could be wrong.
He didn't say anything about cuts or lower level positions being eliminated. He said they "froze some budgets and have been discret in spending."

The total for expenditures for volleyball ran a little over 413K last season. Volleyball is still up in the air, likely canceled (along with X-country, et. al.)
While they don't have to budget for increased expenses per athlete they still have to maintain the status quo. It's my understanding they won't increase the budget for v-ball, but they aren't cutting anything either.

I have not heard of anyone in UA's athletic department that has received a pink slip or lost their jobs. The only change in their jobs have been the few weeks they worked from home with only a few allowed to work in the offices. That's been staggered as well...sort of like two ticket packages for football.

Jobs are being lost and more will continue if things don't change. You forget the government propped up many businesses but can't do that forever. No different than the big business of college football.
@Tidestalker you and I, we were having a discussion on why some of the schools/conferences are canceling. As I mentioned, a lot of these places simply can't afford to play this season (even if they went conference only.)

I read a report last night from an interview with a G5 AD. He said canceling their season would cost their program 1.1 - 1.5 million. Here's the kicker. If they were to follow guidelines and protocols we've seen other conferences inact (C-19 protocols,) he said they'd be in debt over 2.5 million. It was cheaper to cancel because they can't afford to play.

[QUOTE="BamaFan334, post: 1340155, member: 19550"] Employers have definitely done this with covid killing revenue. My old employer imposed a 10% deduction in pay one month after giving pay increase for 2019 performance reviews. They tried making it look respectable by the VP's taking 20% and the CEO taking 35%, but his salary was five to ten times more than those taking 10% on minimal salaries, while he was still looking at a $350,000 salary, corporate apartment, fuel card, company truck, and truck allowance. Not sure why you feel the optics on this aren't bad. No one feels sorry for Golding or Sarkesian having to live off of $1M instead of $1.5M, while the folks making $30,000 are no longer employed. [/QUOTE] Exactly.....some think they would move on...WHERE? Everyone in same boat.... nobody is going anywhere... The optics ate awful.... And a one year delay....maybe to safe some "lower level" jobs... Thats a team player

@Tidestalker you and I, we were having a discussion on why some of the schools/conferences are canceling. As I mentioned, a lot of these places simply can't afford to play this season (even if they went conference only.)

I read a report last night from an interview with a G5 AD. He said canceling their season would cost their program 1.1 - 1.5 million. Here's the kicker. If they were to follow guidelines and protocols we've seen other conferences inact (C-19 protocols,) he said they'd be in debt over 2.5 million. It was cheaper to cancel because they can't afford to play.

Wouldnt be a bit surprised....A lot of G5s are like FCS.....they need a big payday or 2....and playing in front of 15000...without tv contracts....and mega boosters....
Gonna be some rough days ahead

Yes - I can absolutely see why this would be the case! And a big part of that equation is the P5 Matchup, or 2, that would generate a minimum of 7+ figures (I say that knowing a Big Sky vs MWC game in this region is worth $500K).

Like I've said previously, the way the landscape is designed, everyone is connected. The P5's don't schedule the gimme games because they are bad for business! IF they're played, they sell tix, merch, concessions, they're televised, and it goes down the line. I'd also mentioned earlier the "patience" those leagues were showing towards their decision was directly related to the contractual issues. They knew they weren't playing way before they announced it, and way before the NCAA came out with the price of protocals. The juice isn't worth the squeeze to play 8 league games with no fans... The PR, the financials, and liability combined are all too much to overcome - The same way it was too much to overcome for the B10 & PAC12! (And will ultimately submarine the other leagues when kids get back on campus and start "doing their thing")

(And will ultimately submarine the other leagues when kids get back on campus and start "doing their thing")
You've said this two or three times and it's still unfounded in my view. It's certainly possible, but early signs don't indicate such. UA, as example, has tested over 30K with a very low positivity rate. Why?

Are we to assume a lot of these kids don't 'do their thing' when they aren't in Tuscaloosa? Granted, I was in my mid-20's when I decided to attend UA so I didn't live any differently in Tuscaloosa than I did before moving back to Alabama. I believe it's a safe assumption these kids will do what's necessary just as they've been doing.

I'm seeing a student body that has acted responsibly. I've also seen a faction of the politicians and media in Alabama push a lie about the kids not being responsible when the story about Covid parties hit the wires. (BTW, you did notice no one had a copy of any invitation, no one posted any pictures or video of these reported parties, and I've yet to see anyone say "I know of one" or any mention of anyone attending such a party.

Yes - I can absolutely see why this would be the case! And a big part of that equation is the P5 Matchup, or 2, that would generate a minimum of 7+ figures (I say that knowing a Big Sky vs MWC game in this region is worth $500K).

Like I've said previously, the way the landscape is designed, everyone is connected. The P5's don't schedule the gimme games because they are bad for business! IF they're played, they sell tix, merch, concessions, they're televised, and it goes down the line. I'd also mentioned earlier the "patience" those leagues were showing towards their decision was directly related to the contractual issues. They knew they weren't playing way before they announced it, and way before the NCAA came out with the price of protocals. The juice isn't worth the squeeze to play 8 league games with no fans... The PR, the financials, and liability combined are all too much to overcome - The same way it was too much to overcome for the B10 & PAC12! (And will ultimately submarine the other leagues when kids get back on campus and start "doing their thing")

What actually is the liability?

What actually is the liability?

The obvious answer is any type of serious health issues... Under the circumstances of the GOVT literally shutting things down, with legitimate research questioning long term health conditions, it opens the door for anything from temporary hospitalization to long term hospitalization and/or potential of lost wages.

At a place like Alabama I'm sure they do a great job of screening, testing, tracking, etc. But at a lot of schools the resources aren't as plentiful. All it takes is one guy to not get tested or reported properly as the University states it's going to, and there is liability. Literally 1 employee makes a mistake and the S can hit the fan. Now throw in the idea of event staff, support staff, coaches, practice & game day procedures... and on and on... There are so many ways for something to slip through the cracks.

I don't know and haven't heard whether or not the players are being asked to sign any type of waivers... Seems like a good idea if it's legal. But even then, is a school off the hook if someone dies from COVID related issues? I'm not a lawyer, but there are plenty out there figuring out how to "specialize" (or ambulance chase) in this particular field - Wouldn't you think?

You've said this two or three times and it's still unfounded in my view. It's certainly possible, but early signs don't indicate such. UA, as example, has tested over 30K with a very low positivity rate. Why?

Are we to assume a lot of these kids don't 'do their thing' when they aren't in Tuscaloosa? Granted, I was in my mid-20's when I decided to attend UA so I didn't live any differently in Tuscaloosa than I did before moving back to Alabama. I believe it's a safe assumption these kids will do what's necessary just as they've been doing.

I'm seeing a student body that has acted responsibly. I've also seen a faction of the politicians and media in Alabama push a lie about the kids not being responsible when the story about Covid parties hit the wires. (BTW, you did notice no one had a copy of any invitation, no one posted any pictures or video of these reported parties, and I've yet to see anyone say "I know of one" or any mention of anyone attending such a party.

@TerryP - Do I really have to break it down to you how a virus is more likely to spread through close personal contact? All of the ways that close personal contact is much more prevalent on and around a college campus? In dorms, class rooms, frats, sororities, parties, air mattresses.... If so, I have to question exactly how your college experience went - Cause mine sure as hell wasn't the same as living in moms basement :oops:

I don't believe its a safe assumption kids are going to take as many precautions as we'd all like them to. And I do believe that an administration is going to be extremely, if not overly sensitive to any sign of uptick or spreading. The combination of those 2 things leads me to my conclusion. Remember, if there's one thing we've learned throughout this... It's not about data as much as perception. As the dominos have fallen, you have to at least acknowledge that many schools going online is a legitimate possibility. (As they did last Spring, and now have a structure and understanding of how to more smoothly accomplish it)

If so, I have to question exactly how your college experience went - Cause mine sure as hell wasn't the same as living in moms basement
As stated in the post you quoted, I was an adult when I went to school. So, no. I wasn't some 18yr old chasing snatch around campus or finding air mattresses. I was there for school. Well, that and football tickets. 🙃

Kids coming back to school is going to increase the likelihood of positive tests. I know that. We've seen that this weekend at OU when Riley gave his guys some time off. However, with the precautions in place and the school insisting on the protocols they are, I view this whole thing as very manageable.

It's my suspicion when given the option "do this or go home" we'll see a lot "do this" vs "go home."

"do this or go home"
@TerryP this is likely not what you meant but if the mindset is to make it this binary by the leadership then why bother? Now for the players and students I get presenting it that way to get them as close to ideal as possible to absolutely minimize outbreaks. However if they manage it the same then they will shut down quickly. One could argue that is what you will have to do to show the students and athletes you are serious I guess.

When it is all said and done my fears are there is a perception of truly keeping this to zero cases but that is not going to happen. Also, the talking heads are just looking for something to pounce on. The BIG/PAC-12 writers will certainly do that just to prove their conference made the right decisions. Yep there is built in bias so it is going to take leadership to not let that sway them.

The NCAA, as well as the B1G, have said no to waivers (to date.) However, parents in these letter writing campaigns are requesting to be allowed to sign waivers.

That's actually heartening news... Great to hear there are parents out there that truly understand the value that Sports bring their kids on and off the field. (Not talking financials, either).

On the other hand, if there wasn't a serious concern, why would there be a need for a waiver? So the waiver itself would be the NCAA admitting to sending their players into a dangerous situation.

That's actually heartening news... Great to hear there are parents out there that truly understand the value that Sports bring their kids on and off the field. (Not talking financials, either).
If you go back to the beginning of the C-19 thread there's mention early on about the players wanting to play. I know it's the game, and I know some of it falls back to the financials. I also know A LOT of this desire is the same we've had all of our lives: being around those who mean the most to us. And that fits with the locker rooms; most of the time at least.

On the other hand, if there wasn't a serious concern, why would there be a need for a waiver? So the waiver itself would be the NCAA admitting to sending their players into a dangerous situation
There's a county park close to me where I have a yearly membership. I take my dogs back there on occasion to run (set aside area for pets,) I bike through there all time time, and on occasion will fish or paddle boat around. There's a waiver on the back of that agreement; it's an exculpatory contract.

You'll find the same on the back of tickets to games, concerts, and the like. You'll find the same on your ticket to a place like Six Flags, etc.

If you send your kid to the park to play for the afternoon are you sending your kids in a dangerous situation? If you take them to the county fair, and they ride the Ferris Wheel, they are in a dangerous situation. 🙃 Well, you get what I mean here. (BTW, I think the "escape room" I was in a few years ago had a waiver as well. In case someone freaks out?)

I don't know the exact reason the NCAA and B1G scuttled the waiver idea early on other than to eliminate any repercussions on their decision (which still hadn't been announced.)

So the waiver itself would be the NCAA admitting to sending their players into a dangerous situation.

Ummmmmm...thats a valid point.....
Maybe a wide variety of the definition of "dangerous "...
If its truely life threatening......
firefighters...structural and wild lands..... life threatening dangerous.... military...same... police..same.... lots of "life threatening dangerous ".... but for the good of society......
Just some inherent dangers in this world..... to do stuff...
But to play a game?????????????....

@Tidestalker One more thing here.

I truly believe both the B1G and PAC believe they are the tail wagging the dog. Both, as we have seen through the years, believe they (and their system) are intellectually superior to other conferences. They believe everyone should follow in their footsteps and ideals. (See CFP discussions and their demands as another example.)

Is it a bully platform they believe they are speaking from? Perhaps. Here, in my view, it's their own family members who are calling them "bullies." Akin, if you will, to an older brother calling one of his siblings out. In this case, the families/players versus the administration.

What I feel they've missed is that group, families and players, are the tail wagging the dog here. At the very least that's what the folks from PSU, OSU, Iowa, and Nebraska are thinking.

Damn, just dawned on me. There's a waiver at my golf course.

•Member acknowledges the risks inherent in the use of the golf clubs service and facilities.
•Member certifies that he or she is in good health, is physically able to undertake and engage in any physical exercise or golf activities in which they choose to participate and suffers from no known physical defects or conditions that would render such participation dangerous.
• By use of the golf course, cart, facility and services, day member hereby voluntarily assumes all risk of injury, accidental death, loss, cost or damage to his or her property that might arise from the use of the golf club or any services.
•Member (and his or her prospective heirs and executors) hereby release and hold the golf club harmless from all liability for personal injury or property damage of any kind sustained while on the premises of the golf club.
• If playing with a minor, the guardian is responsible for any damage.
•Member will be responsible for any damage done to cart other than ordinary play use.

Back
Top Bottom