| NEWS Greg Byrne: Challenges ahead - AD says financial challenges, attendance reductions coming - Tuscaloosa News

B

Bama News

Going into a sixth month of uncertainty in college athletics, University of Alabama Director of Athletics Greg Byrne knows two things for certain: No matter what happens with football, financial losses will be challenging, and if there are football games in Bryant-Denny Stadium this fall, not many people will be in attendance.

Byrne held a 30-minute media availability via Zoom Thursday afternoon on a wide range of topics, including UA’s COVID-19 prevention policies and the status of the upcoming football season.

“If we are fortunate enough to move forward and play this year, whether we play or don’t play, there are going to be significant financial challenges for our department and departments across the country,” Byrne said.

“Once we get our final schedule and we know the dates for all of our games, then we’re going to unveil our ticketing plan, but I can tell you our capacity will be significantly reduced: emphasize on the significant.”

UA has already lost money from the NCAA Tournament being canceled, potentially as much as $1 million.

The inability to play football in 2020 would be the most financially challenging circumstance, but even playing the full 10-game schedule with minimal fan attendance would carry significant financial ramifications.

“We’ve already taken steps, as soon as everything got shut down last spring,” Byrne said. “We froze budgets. We tried to be discreet as much as possible from a spending standpoint. We have other plans that we have been developing over the last several months that we’ll talk about in more detail once we know what we’re dealing with.”

Byrne’s words media came days after the Big Ten and Pac 12 both moved to cancel fall sports in their conferences with the hopes of playing football in the spring. Byrne said there have been limited conversations about the feasibility of a spring football season in the SEC, but all efforts remain dedicated to playing in the fall.

When it comes to non-football fall sports – UA offers women’s soccer, volleyball and cross country — Byrne said those conversations were happening with the senior women administrators around the league, with Alabama represented by Tiffini Grimes. Byrne said the league’s athletics directors will take on the topic more in the next week and watch the NCAA’s actions on the subject.

Byrne expressed pride in UA’s dedication to health and safety protocols to this point in offseason workouts and practices — “I don’t think anybody can argue Alabama has not been on the forefront of mask-wearing,” he said — but knows the task will get more difficult soon. Classes for the fall semester start at UA next week, meaning UA student-athletes will be mingling in some capacities with students who are not as heavily monitored as the athletes.

“I think sometimes you hear a narrative that how can you get to no risk, well no risk is to isolate everybody. That’s it,” Byrne said. “But can you, between aggressive testing, which I’m very proud of what we’ve been doing from a testing standpoint for our student-athletes, from contact tracing with social distancing, wearing masks … I think you have an opportunity to move forward and try to play, whatever it is in the fall.

“That’s what we’ve been doing as a department and that’s what we’re going to continue to do until the fall sports season is called off, then obviously we’ll follow those guidelines.”

Byrne said UA has an outside entity conducting its contact tracing, one that has been instructed to follow CDC guidelines.

“Whatever the contact tracing tells us to do is what we’ll do, and what we have done,” he said.

While it has not happened at UA yet, multiple Power 5 schools have had prominent football players opt out of the 2020 season due to fears of playing during the pandemic. But it has had to answers questions from its athletes, Byrne said.

“We’ve had student athletes ask a lot of questions, which is what we want, and we try to give them the best information we can through different medical experts to address that and answer any concerns that they have,” Byrne said.

I get the fact that money will be reduced and blah blah blah.....but a lot of money will not be spent either. How much money was saved with not having to fund spring sports? Other sports that suckle at the teet of football were not played this spring. Stuff that starts in the fall ie, soccer, gymnastics,basketball (which may be self sufficient, I don't know).

What I'm saying is, it's all relative. Not as much money coming in for football, sure.... but they aren't going to have to keep all the other sports afloat either. I'm spit balling here, but it wouldn't surprise me if TV revenue is up this year, simply because we are 1 of 3 conferences planning to play ball this year. That means a lot of eyes nation wide will have less to choose from and will only have a few chances to get their Saturday fix of college football. Advertisers know this. It could be a "bumper crop" for TV viewer ship. That could ease some of the pain of the loss of revenue. I'm sure it will not totally cover the loss of concessions game day programs and all of the smaller things that add up to millions, but I have a hard time having sympathy, when the millionaires that donate, will still get to go to the games and attend. Don't whine and tell me you want to keep the $2200 I gave you for tickets when I could put that money to good use.

I get the fact that money will be reduced and blah blah blah.....but a lot of money will not be spent either. How much money was saved with not having to fund spring sports? Other sports that suckle at the teet of football were not played this spring. Stuff that starts in the fall ie, soccer, gymnastics,basketball (which may be self sufficient, I don't know).

What I'm saying is, it's all relative. Not as much money coming in for football, sure.... but they aren't going to have to keep all the other sports afloat either. I'm spit balling here, but it wouldn't surprise me if TV revenue is up this year, simply because we are 1 of 3 conferences planning to play ball this year. That means a lot of eyes nation wide will have less to choose from and will only have a few chances to get their Saturday fix of college football. Advertisers know this. It could be a "bumper crop" for TV viewer ship. That could ease some of the pain of the loss of revenue. I'm sure it will not totally cover the loss of concessions game day programs and all of the smaller things that add up to millions, but I have a hard time having sympathy, when the millionaires that donate, will still get to go to the games and attend. Don't whine and tell me you want to keep the $2200 I gave you for tickets when I could put that money to good use.

Me and you on same page here....
Not to beat a dead horse...but....some of these coaches raises ould have been delayed.... if nothing more than appearances....
Yeah....not getting my TP n ticket money donated back either ....

Not to beat a dead horse...but....some of these coaches raises ould have been delayed.... if nothing more than appearances....

I have a hard time believing a case where ...

You had a meeting with your employer and had your contract reviewed. It was determined at that time you were getting an extension and a raise. You agree to this.

And you'd be okay if your employer came back and said, "No. We are not going to honor our agreement." In what world?

“I think sometimes you hear a narrative that how can you get to no risk, well no risk is to isolate everybody. That’s it,” Byrne said. “But can you, between aggressive testing, which I’m very proud of what we’ve been doing from a testing standpoint for our student-athletes, from contact tracing with social distancing, wearing masks … I think you have an opportunity to move forward and try to play, whatever it is in the fall.
In case you missed it, the three schools in the University of Alabama system have conducted 30K+ tests with over 99% coming back negative.

You had a meeting with your employer and had your contract reviewed. It was determined at that time you were getting an extension and a raise. You agree to this.

And you'd be okay if your employer came back and said, "No. We are not going to honor our agreement." In what world?

Well....in the world of a pandamic or national tragedy ( like war...).. .... where the health and well being of the company was in jeopardy without individual sacrifices...... THAT world....

Asking stockholders to sacrifice...while upper management florishes

Well....in the world of a pandamic or national tragedy ( like war...).. .... where the health and well being of the company was in jeopardy without individual sacrifices...... THAT world....
These guys who received the raises they were promised have been working throughout this whole ordeal. Their raises, by no means, threatens the health and well being of Alabama football, or the athletic department.

Still, the larger point here is being ignored. These raises were pre-Covid. They were already done. Do you think Saban shouldn't get a retention bonus?

These guys who received the raises they were promised have been working throughout this whole ordeal. Their raises, by no means, threatens the health and well being of Alabama football, or the athletic department.

Still, the larger point here is being ignored. These raises were pre-Covid. They were already done. Do you think Saban shouldn't get a retention bonus?
Aslong as they don’t expect me to donate...asthey have hinted to....my refund...full refund

Employers have definitely done this with covid killing revenue. My old employer imposed a 10% deduction in pay one month after giving pay increase for 2019 performance reviews. They tried making it look respectable by the VP's taking 20% and the CEO taking 35%, but his salary was five to ten times more than those taking 10% on minimal salaries, while he was still looking at a $350,000 salary, corporate apartment, fuel card, company truck, and truck allowance. Not sure why you feel the optics on this aren't bad. No one feels sorry for Golding or Sarkesian having to live off of $1M instead of $1.5M, while the folks making $30,000 are no longer employed.

Last edited:
Employers have definitely done this with covid killing revenue. My old employer imposed a 10% deduction in pay one month after giving pay increase for 2019 performance reviews.
Operative word here, "old" employer. I'm assuming that's HD? I know they took a stock hit in early March to the tune of about 100 bucks a share (dropped to around 150 per) but they've always seen a hell of a rebound. I think I saw they were trading at around 280 or so this week.

If my employer tried to pull such...I'd be working somewhere else tomorrow.

Operative word here, "old" employer. I'm assuming that's HD? I know they took a stock hit in early March to the tune of about 100 bucks a share (dropped to around 150 per) but they've always seen a hell of a rebound. I think I saw they were trading at around 280 or so this week.

If my employer tried to pull such...I'd be working somewhere else tomorrow.

No, it wasn't Home Depot. A company called Inland Pipe Rehabilitation. New CEO running the company into the ground and milking what he can.

We are still buying budgeted equipment and continuing expenditures that were approved in January and February. I have turned in performance based increases for 3 employees this week. Hell we just bought 3 facilities within the last 2 months. We aren’t spending money stupidly but to me the notion of taking away a previously negotiated raise would show an attitude of fear weakness and poor leadership. Something I don’t think UA has as evidenced by the way they continue to do business

The way companies have responded to this is as varied as the football conferences. Some are still hunkered down, making no significant capital expenditures. Others are akin to turning a battleship, business as usual because something was already in the hopper. Governments/nonprofits/co-ops are all bending over for their employees because they lack the potential pain of shareholders demanding action or walking away. Some are seeing opportunities, and if they're flush with cash they will kill it. Amazon is the easy example, they have their most bitter nearly-vanquished rival - Simon Properties - trying to get them to take former Sears/JCPenny anchor footage for fulfillment centers. That has to be an interesting negotiation.

RTR,

Tim

We are still buying budgeted equipment and continuing expenditures that were approved in January and February. I have turned in performance based increases for 3 employees this week. Hell we just bought 3 facilities within the last 2 months. We aren’t spending money stupidly but to me the notion of taking away a previously negotiated raise would show an attitude of fear weakness and poor leadership. Something I don’t think UA has as evidenced by the way they continue to do business

But have y'all laid off while doing what you're saying?

Jobs are being lost and more will continue if things don't change. You forget the government propped up many businesses but can't do that forever. No different than the big business of college football.

I get the fact that money will be reduced and blah blah blah.....but a lot of money will not be spent either. How much money was saved with not having to fund spring sports?
Define "a lot of money" here. There will be some savings, no doubt. A few examples fall into things like they didn't have to play for lighting Rhoads or The Joe last spring or travel for away games, but there's still some serious expenditures.

In women's sports alone there are over 400 participants with over 150 scholarships. The women's teams alone, total here, account for 7.7 million in student aid each season. Game day expenses ran about 4.5 million for all women's programs. So, yes, they're saving 4.5 million but still spending 2.5+ million just to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom