Green Egg

I cook on a Primo grill which is like the green egg turned on it's side. It lets you do indirect cooking for pork or briskit. All ceramic grills need to use natural charcoal or wood only. I have been cooking on mine two or three times a week for over 5 years. I have a recipe for smoked ribeye that is fantastic. Here it is

Get you two or three 2" cut aged ribeyes
Make sure they are at room temperature before you start cooking
Get the grill going with wood smoke only at about 150 degrees. (I use a charcoal chimney to heat coals on the side after I get the smoke only going) Season with salt, pepper, & garlic.
Put the steaks on the side away from the heat for 15 minutes and let the smoke do its work. (Pecan or Hickory wood smoke with no heat is the best)

They will be infused with a fantastic smokey wood flavor with every bite. With the right steaks you will not need a knife.

While you are smoking them fire up your charcoal chimney and get them very hot.

After 15 minutes add the charcoal to the small smoke fire and make sure the heat is up to about 400 to 500 degrees before you put the steaks on the grill.

Cook the steaks on direct heat for 2 minutes per side for rare or 3 minutes per side for medium. I use melted butter and lemon to charr the outside. If you like them well done then don't waste your time on this. Just use a microwave.

The secret to making this work is the cold smoke for 15 minutes with the right wood.

Enjoy, My mouth is watering right now.

Here is a link to the grill

Doe,

I have looked at all of the brands. Green Egg, Kommado Joe, and Browning. The Kommado is made in Geogia, BUT is not a full ceramic grill. It is ceramic lined. The green egg is full ceramic and heavy. I think that pays big dividends when cooking evenly and maintaining the temp. Browning has a full ceramic grill as well with cast iron base for holding your charcoal/wood. It is bout $200 cheaper than the BGE. Browning can be bought at Bass Pro. I know your a Cabela's man. You can check on line and see if you can get it at Cabela's.

If you want to save a little cash on a BGE, you can buy a Demo unit, basically you find a BG Eggfest (http://www.biggreenegg.com/events/eggfests/) near you and pre-buy one, it comes with some extras nest, plate setter, ashtool, and bag of lump. You are buying an egg that gets used for 1 day at the demo day or eggfest, you take it home at the end of the day.

This is probably how I'm going to buy mine. Craigslist is another way to get them used and save some cash.

I was planning on going to Texarkana (Bama BYE week) in a few weeks to get one, but they recently setup one for Plano (LSU game day), so I get to hang out and see the Eggfest, take it home and watch game as it starts at 7pm.

The Large Demo eggs for for $800-850 depending on the event.

Well, got my Big Green Egg last weekend hours before the Bama/LSU game, but due to travel and the football game I haven't had a chance to enjoy it. Planning on cooking some steak tomorrow night.

Can't wait to do some pulled pork :)

img1385pi.jpg

img1382sv.jpg

I think I'm gonna get me one of these fellers tomorrow.

Let me know if you need anything, I've been cooking on mine exclusively for 2 years now, I don't use my gas grill anymore.

Took me a 1-2 times to figure out how to cook skinless/boneless chicken breast, but I've got it down where they come out really good. I grill chicken breasts once or twice a week.

• Get the grill going enough to get the coals red - about 600-700 degrees, basically after you light it, close the lid and open the top and bottom dampers all the way, come back in about 10 mins.
  • Then close the top damper down to where the space is about this open, | |
  • Close the bottom damper to a space about like this, | |
  • Let the grill cool down to about 350-400 degrees, will take 5 mins or so.
  • Put the chicken on the grill, and flip it two or three times after grilling about 5 mins on each side.

Also, make sure you read the instructions (I didn't initially), there is a part on there about calibrating your thermometer.

my brother loves his BGE. he claims that he can cook more stuff with less coals and regulate the heat a lot better through the duration of cooking because of the BGE getting hot and holding the heat unlike what metal does.

Let me know if you need anything, I've been cooking on mine exclusively for 2 years now, I don't use my gas grill anymore.

Took me a 1-2 times to figure out how to cook skinless/boneless chicken breast, but I've got it down where they come out really good. I grill chicken breasts once or twice a week.

• Get the grill going enough to get the coals red - about 600-700 degrees, basically after you light it, close the lid and open the top and bottom dampers all the way, come back in about 10 mins.
  • Then close the top damper down to where the space is about this open, | |
  • Close the bottom damper to a space about like this, | |
  • Let the grill cool down to about 350-400 degrees, will take 5 mins or so.
  • Put the chicken on the grill, and flip it two or three times after grilling about 5 mins on each side.

Also, make sure you read the instructions (I didn't initially), there is a part on there about calibrating your thermometer.

Appreciate it. I'm looking forward to having something that I can easily maintain a temp with, and easily cook at a low temp with for long periods. I've had a big barrel smoker, but it is out of commission and has been for about 3 years now. Lately, I've been having to use by Weber, which is great for most stuff, but not for big things like butts. You can do ribs, hams, and turkeys on it, but it's difficult since there is no temp gauge inside and would be hard to control the temp for a long period even if there was.

Ok, that didn't come thru very well...not sure why I just didn't give you measurements.

The top wheel should be closed to about an 1/8" to 1/4" hole. The bottom damper should be closed to somewhere between 3/4" to 1".

The BGE holds temp very nicely. First mistake I made on my first pork shoulder was I didn't put enough charcoal in, so the fire went out about 2 hours prior to being done. Had to improvise - stick in charcoal down the sides which was a huge pain in the rear. Now I load it up...would rather have too much than not enough, I just use the coals for the next cooking.

Also, you'll find retailers will cut you a discount if you buy quantity of lump charcoal, several stores out here give 10% off if you buy 10 bags. The coals matter too, some create more sparks than others and some don't get as hot. There are decent reviews on charcoals here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm.

Ok, that didn't come thru very well...not sure why I just didn't give you measurements.

The top wheel should be closed to about an 1/8" to 1/4" hole. The bottom damper should be closed to somewhere between 3/4" to 1".

The BGE holds temp very nicely. First mistake I made on my first pork shoulder was I didn't put enough charcoal in, so the fire went out about 2 hours prior to being done. Had to improvise - stick in charcoal down the sides which was a huge pain in the rear. Now I load it up...would rather have too much than not enough, I just use the coals for the next cooking.

Also, you'll find retailers will cut you a discount if you buy quantity of lump charcoal, several stores out here give 10% off if you buy 10 bags. The coals matter too, some create more sparks than others and some don't get as hot. There are decent reviews on charcoals here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm.

Yeah, I was wondering about those distances... LOL.

Your other comment does bring up a question I've had bouncing around in my head for a while now. Obviously, if you're smoking something, you can add chips or chunks of wood at the beginning (I usually cook with chunks but I have bags of smaller chips of different variety like pecan, hickory, cherry, apple, etc. on hand). I guess the only real way to add wood later in the smoking process if/when needed is to throw some chips (or small chucks that would fit?) down the sides of the plate setter like you had to do with the lump charcoal? Is that right or is there another, easier way?

I've checked out the lump charcoal site before. It's been a while since I looked at it. Around here, choices are pretty limited, but Royal Oak seems to be the best I can get my hands on.

If you have the placesetter installed (used for indirect heat), there isn't much of a gap that you can slide coals down. I fill up my BGE with enough charcoal based on what I'm cooking, then I heat it up then throw on the wood chunks (I prefer chunks to chips). I usually let the chunks sit for about 30 mins or so before I throw food on the grill.

Back
Top Bottom