| FTBL Good things that came out of the Shula era.

1.) I think the fanbase in some ways was way more intense than it is now. Sucking has a way of making you appreciate the good times. The atmosphere at BDS against Florida in 2005 was totally lit.

2.) His teams (regardless of how poorly coached or untalented they were) usually put up a stiff fight against competition. OU was easily twice the team Bama was in 2003, and Shula's boys gave Bobby Stoops all he could handle. The same could be said against the Barn in 2004. Sadly, for every "moral victory" Shula had, there was a clusterfuck/inexcusable loss such as MSU in 2006, NIU in 2003, and those horrendous meltdowns against Tennessee and Arkansas in 2003.

3.) His 2005 and 2006 recruiting classes had some outstanding players and leaders on them. JPW, GMAC, Glenn Coffee, Rashad Johnson, Andre Smith (though I still don't forgive him for that 2009 Sugar Bowl fiasco), Roy Upchurch, Brandon Deaderick, Javier Arenas etc. It's pretty outstanding that Shula was able to still sign top 25 recruiting classes in the midst of all those sanctions.

If we had replay in ‘03 the good guys may have beaten OU. Some poor calls in that game. Almost like the officials thought BAMA couldn’t made the catches the receivers where making so they couldn’t have been called catches.

With who we have and where we are now, I wouldn't change a thing.

Having said that, during the misery of the Shula years, I never felt as though he should have been hired. I didn't like his approach and certainly felt as though the staff was lack luster minus Joe Kines.

When Price was let go, I felt that the smart thing to do was to allow Kines to be the interim HC for the year and keep everything status quo. Let Prices' boys stay on pay role, but let Hines promote or hire some folks to do the offensive roles the sons were doing. We were under sanctions and were not going any where or doing anything in 2003.(just like 2002). We would have been over the hump and when we hired a new coach in 2004, He would have been past the worst part of the sanctions and starting fresh.

In 2004 both Butch Davis and Steve Spurrier were a year removed from the NFL and would have been viable options. Remember this was 2003 and we didn't know Davis was a one hit wonder from his time at Miami, but he brought them back from the death of NCAA penalty and looked like a good one to do the same at Bama. Who knows, with the right fan base and support, he may have been successful. Spurrier took over at USCe and we know how that went. I think had he came to Bama, he gets Brother Oliver out of retirement and they could have been pretty formidable. They have always had a high level of respect for one another and Oliver almost went to UF when he left Bama in the 90's, but he had already accept the job at da Barn like a turn coat. I think the misery of the Shula years could have been avoided entirely, but from my hind-sight view in 2023, I would do it all again to be where we are.

And perhaps if Brodie's knee didn't get blown up in '04 in a meaningless game AND/OR Protho's leg didn't disintegrate in meaningless play time in '05, things would have turned out much different.

As alluded to, we got the better end of the deal after Shula.

Shula fan...thanks Mike...

Mike still went with fans meeting players at Colman "cattle barn..."
Nick shut it pretty much down...to completely
My kids..gkids enjoyed meeting players...

Did best he could withlimited resources...kines wa a determate....and Radar was. Disaster....overall...just didnt work...

5AFBE18F-DF99-43DC-BBF8-101064885011.jpegA5DDD907-E88F-43CF-A07C-48AE0853F42B.jpegBA99AB7F-7901-44DB-96BB-9B6423D33585.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom